Need the name of a fairly recent trading game.

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

Hello, trying to remember a name of a trading game that came out 1-2 years
ago (maybe 3.. time flies). I believe it was by a fairly well known
developer and based in the past with the old mule caravans. You developed
your trade routes from different cities, assigned protection from thieves
and competed against other traders. Had some decent graphics from what I
can remember. It was also land based (so not Port Royal etc.)

Was keen at the time waiting for it to come out but then the reviews were
not that good and I'm curious now if they ever patched it up. Been a while
since I've played some trading games and I've got the itch now.

Thanks
Pete.

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 00:57:51 GMT, Pete <pete@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Hello, trying to remember a name of a trading game that came out 1-2 years
>ago (maybe 3.. time flies). I believe it was by a fairly well known
>developer and based in the past with the old mule caravans. You developed
>your trade routes from different cities, assigned protection from thieves
>and competed against other traders. Had some decent graphics from what I
>can remember. It was also land based (so not Port Royal etc.)
>
>Was keen at the time waiting for it to come out but then the reviews were
>not that good and I'm curious now if they ever patched it up. Been a while
>since I've played some trading games and I've got the itch now.
>
>Thanks
>Pete.

Maybe it was Trade Empires?

>Maybe it was Trade Empires?

That sounds right. It was okay. I like trading games.

Too bad they're not that popular. Worse, about the only
active manfucaturer, Ascaron, has some kind of computer
hardware problem. It appears that their "recycle button"
is stuck in the "on" position.

C//

"Courageous" <dontwant@spam.com> wrote in message

> >Maybe it was Trade Empires?
>
> That sounds right. It was okay. I like trading games.
>
> Too bad they're not that popular. Worse, about the only
> active manfucaturer, Ascaron, has some kind of computer
> hardware problem. It appears that their "recycle button"
> is stuck in the "on" position.

Heh, you are always good for a one liner or two :) So you
must be refering to Port Royale 2? I was thinking of picking
this one up. I never played the first one.

"Pete" <pete@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Hello, trying to remember a name of a trading game that came out 1-2 years
> ago (maybe 3.. time flies). I believe it was by a fairly well known
> developer and based in the past with the old mule caravans. You developed
> your trade routes from different cities, assigned protection from thieves
> and competed against other traders. Had some decent graphics from what I
> can remember. It was also land based (so not Port Royal etc.)
>
> Was keen at the time waiting for it to come out but then the reviews were
> not that good and I'm curious now if they ever patched it up. Been a
while
> since I've played some trading games and I've got the itch now.

Non Railroad based overland trade simulations.

Trade Empires from Frog City.
Merchant Prince from...Holistic?

Good luck finding either of them for sale.
dfs

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

D-Rider <unknown@nowhere.com> wrote in

> On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 00:57:51 GMT, Pete <pete@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello, trying to remember a name of a trading game that came out 1-2
>>years ago (maybe 3.. time flies). I believe it was by a fairly well
>>known developer and based in the past with the old mule caravans. You
>>developed your trade routes from different cities, assigned protection
>>from thieves and competed against other traders. Had some decent
>>graphics from what I can remember. It was also land based (so not
>>Port Royal etc.)
>>
>>Was keen at the time waiting for it to come out but then the reviews
>>were not that good and I'm curious now if they ever patched it up.
>>Been a while since I've played some trading games and I've got the
>>itch now.
>>
>>Thanks
>>Pete.
>
> Maybe it was Trade Empires?

Yep that was it, thanks. I'm stupid as I though the word Trade was in the
title and I found the game on a Gamespot search.. but as soon as I saw the
train on the box cover I though it was a modern trade game and not what I
was looking for and so continued my search :p

Well I've got the name now, so something to look for in the $5 bargin bins.

Cheers
Pete.

Now if they would only come out with a new RPG game like Balders Gate....

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

> D-Rider <unknown@nowhere.com> wrote in
>
>> On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 00:57:51 GMT, Pete <pete@nowhere.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hello, trying to remember a name of a trading game that came out 1-2
>>>years ago (maybe 3.. time flies). I believe it was by a fairly well
>>>known developer and based in the past with the old mule caravans.
>>>You developed your trade routes from different cities, assigned
>>>protection from thieves and competed against other traders. Had some
>>>decent graphics from what I can remember. It was also land based (so
>>>not Port Royal etc.)
>>>
>>>Was keen at the time waiting for it to come out but then the reviews
>>>were not that good and I'm curious now if they ever patched it up.
>>>Been a while since I've played some trading games and I've got the
>>>itch now.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>Pete.
>>
>> Maybe it was Trade Empires?
>>

> Yep that was it, thanks. I'm stupid as I though the word Trade was in
> the title and I found the game on a Gamespot search.. but as soon as I
> saw the train on the box cover I though it was a modern trade game and
> not what I was looking for and so continued my search :p
>
> Well I've got the name now, so something to look for in the $5 bargin
> bins.
>
> Cheers
> Pete.
>
> Now if they would only come out with a new RPG game like Balders
> Gate....

Damn, didn't know frogcity made Imperialism, that was one of my all time
favs. Love the tariffs to make friends and all the alliances that would
trigger if you attacked one. One of the few strategy/empire/trade games
that I really ever got into deep combat with the AI countries. Remember
working desperately for the last land that had a vital resourse and
working out on paper all the alliances and how just the hell I was
going to get control of that. Man that had some of the best AI
diplomacy balance of all the games I've played. Pity they changed the
mechanics of that instead of just fixing the naval combat/blockades and
such. Ah well, another small market cool game producer bites it I guess.

Pete.

Jim Vieira <whiplashr@wi.rr.com.remove.this.to.reply> wrote in message
D_AMd.7981$0h5.4375@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com...
> "Courageous" <dontwant@spam.com> wrote in message
> >
> > >Maybe it was Trade Empires?
> >
> > That sounds right. It was okay. I like trading games.
> >
> > Too bad they're not that popular. Worse, about the only
> > active manfucaturer, Ascaron, has some kind of computer
> > hardware problem. It appears that their "recycle button"
> > is stuck in the "on" position.
>
> Heh, you are always good for a one liner or two :) So you
> must be refering to Port Royale 2? I was thinking of picking
> this one up. I never played the first one.

I've recently begun playing Patrician 3, that IIRC is considered to be
rather similar, and I'm finding it very good.
FWIW.

Alfredo

>I've recently begun playing Patrician 3, that IIRC is considered to be
>rather similar, and I'm finding it very good.

Had you played Patrician 2? If not, I think that most people
here who might like trading games would like P3 very much.

C//