Sign in with
Your question

Slow WiFi on Netgear WNDR3400v2

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 4, 2013 10:40:01 PM

Hello! I have been having terrible (to me/in comparison) speeds while using wifi with my new WNDR3400v2 dual band router.

my connection is usually around 4.5 megabytes down, and 600k up. Since I got this router the other day, my down speed hasn't gone above 1.8 though :( 

I have tried:

Hard resetting both the modem and router
Soft resetting both the modem and router
Hardwiring from the modem only (gave me 4.5 megs down)
Hardwiring from the router (4.5 down as well)
Turning off the 5ghz network entirely (made it worse)
Turning off password encryption (AEK)
I called comcast and had them "push" some fresh settings to me, to no avail.
Tried various locations and distances, and they ALL gave me the same wifi speed.
Tried various devices (a tablet, a smart phone, a desktop pc and a laptop) and no matter where or which device, same speed via wifi
Tried changing the fragmentation thresholds at the suggestion of netgear tech support (made no difference)
Already have the latest firmware
Changed position of the router itself from standing, to laying down and in 3 different areas of the home.
I made sure that I was the only one on the network (aka no random folks using up my bandwidth)

So yeah, as you can see, i've done quite a bit to figure this crap out, but with no real results. I did some googling and I see that a few folks had the same issues, but all of their fixes, did not work on mine.

Any further suggestions?
February 5, 2013 2:09:26 PM

half_derpy said:
Hello! I have been having terrible (to me/in comparison) speeds while using wifi with my new WNDR3400v2 dual band router.

my connection is usually around 4.5 megabytes down, and 600k up. Since I got this router the other day, my down speed hasn't gone above 1.8 though :( 

I have tried:

Hard resetting both the modem and router
Soft resetting both the modem and router
Hardwiring from the modem only (gave me 4.5 megs down)
Hardwiring from the router (4.5 down as well)
Turning off the 5ghz network entirely (made it worse)
Turning off password encryption (AEK)
I called comcast and had them "push" some fresh settings to me, to no avail.
Tried various locations and distances, and they ALL gave me the same wifi speed.
Tried various devices (a tablet, a smart phone, a desktop pc and a laptop) and no matter where or which device, same speed via wifi
Tried changing the fragmentation thresholds at the suggestion of netgear tech support (made no difference)
Already have the latest firmware
Changed position of the router itself from standing, to laying down and in 3 different areas of the home.
I made sure that I was the only one on the network (aka no random folks using up my bandwidth)

So yeah, as you can see, i've done quite a bit to figure this crap out, but with no real results. I did some googling and I see that a few folks had the same issues, but all of their fixes, did not work on mine.

Any further suggestions?

Anyone? Still having this issue. I just hope I don't have to take the router back :( 
m
l
February 6, 2013 10:44:32 PM

I had a thought:

Does it matter that I am on a single, regular band wifi dongle? It's 2.4ghz or whatever is standard. I was getting 3-4 megs download speeds on my last sisco router, but with this, it's dual band so maybe I am not getting the best signal or something?
m
l
!