Pirates - large crew

How do I get a large crew in Pirates? It seemed like in the old game it
wasn't hard to get a 500 man crew. But in the new game, getting a large
crew is HARD, usually I can only get about 250 people, no matter how many
ships I get. Also, it seems like you have no reputation. My fame is about
49, but I usually only get a trickle of men wanting to join. In the old
game, I would get "Look, it's that infamous Duke Blye! 32 men decide to
join your crew" message.

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 09:37:46 -0500, "Magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

> How do I get a large crew in Pirates? It seemed like in the old game it
>wasn't hard to get a 500 man crew. But in the new game, getting a large
>crew is HARD, usually I can only get about 250 people, no matter how many
>ships I get. Also, it seems like you have no reputation. My fame is about
>49, but I usually only get a trickle of men wanting to join. In the old
>game, I would get "Look, it's that infamous Duke Blye! 32 men decide to
>join your crew" message.

The happier your current crew is, the more people you can recruit.
Higher rank (not fame so much) also helps when recruiting in ports of
that nationality. How much excess population is available also
matters -- large poor ports have more recruits than smaller rich
towns.

You need space in your ships for the crew as well, though a few big
ships tend to be enough. A frigate and a couple of sloops can hold a
500 man crew.

Werewolf

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2004

Magnulus wrote:

> How do I get a large crew in Pirates? It seemed like in the old game it
> wasn't hard to get a 500 man crew. But in the new game, getting a large
> crew is HARD, usually I can only get about 250 people, no matter how many
> ships I get. Also, it seems like you have no reputation. My fame is about
> 49, but I usually only get a trickle of men wanting to join. In the old
> game, I would get "Look, it's that infamous Duke Blye! 32 men decide to
> join your crew" message.

Bigger Ports=Recruit more guys.
If the Bar Wench has the Cpt of the Guard harassing her - kicking his
ass = more recruits
More money onhand = more recruits
Good Morale = more recruits
Bad Morale = few recruits
Old Fart Captain = feew recruits

Each ship type can only hold so many guys. Triple hammocks will increase
that somewhat.

War Galleons and Frigates I think can hold 300 guys.

I once had over 600 guys in my fleet - needed to sack places like Havana!

--
Werewolf

Peace is Good.
Freedom is BETTER!

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 20:07:51 -0800, Craig Richardson
<crichard-tacoma@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Havana and Panama are the only two that I can think of that clearly
>require over 400. Once you get good at land battles, you should be
>able to beat half again your force (twice might be stretching it
>without some luck with force placement).

I've seen Panama defended by 2,000 troops before. Installing an
English Governor there was quite fun. :)

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

On the 6 Feb 2005, Johnny Bravo <baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 20:07:51 -0800, Craig Richardson
> <crichard-tacoma@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> >Havana and Panama are the only two that I can think of that clearly
> >require over 400. Once you get good at land battles, you should be
> >able to beat half again your force (twice might be stretching it
> >without some luck with force placement).
>
> I've seen Panama defended by 2,000 troops before. Installing an
> English Governor there was quite fun. :)

I was on my way to Port Royale once, sailing south between Cuba and
Hispanola, and noticed four fast galleons practically sailing in a
convoy. Closer examination revealed that not only were they all troop
transports, they were all going to Santiago and had spawned from the
same settlement. Because my starting nation wasn't at war with Spain at
the time, I let them get to their destination. Sure enough, Santiago
shot up to 2000 troops.

--
Jades' First Encounters Site - http://www.jades.org/ffe.htm
The best Frontier: First Encounters site on the Web.

nospam@jades.org /is/ a real email address!