RON: Man this is fun!

nostromo

Ok, I'm addicted, after a looooong time away from RTS games, Rise on Nations
(T&P) has done it to me! The last time I had it this bad was MoM, Stars! or
a bit of Settlers 2 & not much since. I've tried many demos since & even the
full version of Kohan & RTW recently but none grabbed me like this puppy.
Dunno what it is, but it's got that "just one more build, just one more
battle" 4X addictive quality that won't let up :).

I've read through the entire manual & the Gamespot strategy guide (I'm weird
that way kids ;-p) & think I pretty much 'get it'. I'm playing on easiest,
probably because I prefer to take my time building than just rush to destroy
& victory (will notch it up to 'normal' at some point). Right now I'm
working through the Alexander campaign which is fun & then plan to do the
others & finish off with the entire original Conquer the World campaign.

So, given my play style it does resolve to a bit of a rush near the endgame
(I just love steamrollin! ;-), though I still enjoy it greatly. Any advice
about any aspects of the game (does, don'ts, must haves, etc) would be
greatly appreciated. I still haven't had a need to use ships much, though I
do get to research all 4 disciplines in the Library fully before moving to
the endgame. One thing I would like to know - is there a way to remove the
timer limits (top right) entirely, or a cheat to reset it? I couldn't find
one. Much TIA! ;-)

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?

nostromo

I take it noone else likes Rise of Nations...? *sniff* all alone again...:(

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

>I take it noone else likes Rise of Nations...? *sniff* all alone again...:(

lol! A lot of people like RoN. It's about the only RTS I will play.
But this newsgroup just experienced death by flamewar.
Curt Adams (curtadams@aol.com)
"It is better to be wrong than to be vague" - Freeman Dyson

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message
>I take it noone else likes Rise of Nations...? *sniff* all alone
>again...:(

No. No. RON had me playing it for about 8 hours a day for over a
year. A truly great game. _Finally_ got sick of it and gave it to a
friend who has now devoted his life to it. One of the best games
I've ever had.

Look at "Evil Genius", "Rome Total War", or "Hearts of Iron 2".
Their advertisements are for real. Oh, and "Children of the Nile".

"CurtAdams" <curtadams@aol.com> wrote in message
> >I take it noone else likes Rise of Nations...? *sniff* all alone
> >again...:(
>

> lol! A lot of people like RoN. It's about the only RTS I will play.
> But this newsgroup just experienced death by flamewar.
> Curt Adams (curtadams@aol.com)
> "It is better to be wrong than to be vague" - Freeman Dyson

Not only do I [lay but I'm always ready for online play.

nostromo

Thus spake "1411" <poopoo@poop.com>, Tue, 8 Feb 2005 11:43:42 -0800, Anno
Domini:

>"Nostromo" <nostromo@spamfree.net.au> wrote in message
>>I take it noone else likes Rise of Nations...? *sniff* all alone
>>again...:(
>

>No. No. RON had me playing it for about 8 hours a day for over a
>year. A truly great game. _Finally_ got sick of it and gave it to a
>friend who has now devoted his life to it. One of the best games
>I've ever had.
>
>Look at "Evil Genius", "Rome Total War", or "Hearts of Iron 2".
>Their advertisements are for real. Oh, and "Children of the Nile".

Cool, tx guys. I'm just up to kickin Persia's 2nd capital's butt in the
Alexander campaign & had to get to sleep after midnight last night (ouch!).
No other game has done that to me in a looooooong time :)

--
No matter how many times you save the world, it always manages to get back in jeopardy again.
Sometimes I just want it to stay saved! You know, for a little bit?
I feel like the maid; "I just cleaned up this mess! Can we keep it clean for... for ten minutes!"

Diablo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Check out this web site for the forum and links to the broader RoN
community:

http://ron.heavengames.com/

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 18:13:15 +1100, Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au>
wrote:

>I take it noone else likes Rise of Nations...? *sniff* all alone again...:(

nostromo

Thus spake Diablo <Diablo@h.com>, Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:57:21 -0800, Anno
Domini:

>Check out this web site for the forum and links to the broader RoN
>community:
>
>http://ron.heavengames.com/
>
>On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 18:13:15 +1100, Nostromo <nostromo@spamfree.net.au>
>wrote:
>
>>I take it noone else likes Rise of Nations...? *sniff* all alone again...:(

Tx Mr D! ;-)

--

Nostromo wrote:

> Ok, I'm addicted, after a looooong time away from RTS games, Rise on Nations
> (T&P) has done it to me!
> Right now I'm
> working through the Alexander campaign which is fun & then plan to do the
> others & finish off with the entire original Conquer the World campaign.

> So, given my play style it does resolve to a bit of a rush near the endgame
> (I just love steamrollin! ;-), though I still enjoy it greatly. Any advice
> about any aspects of the game (does, don'ts, must haves, etc) would be
> greatly appreciated.

This game has been one of my all-time favourites and I feel just as you
do. Of all the games I've played in the last five years, the only ones
to remain installed for over a year are Civilization II, Neverwinter
Nights, Medieval Total War, and Rise of Nations.

I love the quick battles but with T&P you get those great campaigns. The
Alexander one was especially fun. Want a challenge? Change the
historical path and go for clearing the Greeks out of 'Italy' before
targeting the Turkish holdings. Whee!

I started playing much like you and the advice I would offer is:

* The pause button and tab keys are your friends. When playing
single-player use the pause key (p) to stop everything and set up your
next bit of infrastructure building. Keep hitting the tab key to see
what new research is available.

* Control groups are a great way to manage armies, navies and air
forces. I use 1-0 for my land forces, F1-4 for navies, and the rest for
air units (esp. bombers). With control groups it's easy to move troops
around and get them to hot spots.

* Early games require that you get a few scouts auto-scouting ASAP. Find
out where your enemy is and what he's up to so you can counter. If there
is water between you and the enemies be quick to build a dock. If land
skirmishes are expected get a tower and temple quick -- garrison the
tower with archers or javelins and the temple to increase the durability
of your structures. I also focus on getting a second town ASAP while
getting maximum farming (usually 5) and foresting in the central town.
Have light or medium horsemen available to run down enemy scouts.

* Usually destroying the enemy infrastructure can begin their demise. If
you can distract the enemy armies to deal with a few of your skirmishing
troops you can take your time picking off their farmers, foresters, and
so forth. If they can't farm they can't build as many troops, etc. so
they will be busy repairing while you are building for the invasion.

* Focus on your infrastructure and do not rush technology in the early
game. The enemy may get to L2 era before you but after that the AI seems
to wait until you advance before it will.

* When you first hit the Industrial era it's a good idea to have some
spare moola so you can buy up a bunch of oil from the markets. This
allows you to do some instant upgrades and raises the price for the AI
armies so they can buy much.

* Don't mix your armies too much. I like to have a fast (mounted/armor)
strike force, two or three largish duke-em-out armies of marines with
anti-tank and machine gunners, and a potent long-range artillery strike
force (that can level a city in quick order). Each of my armies gets a
general for the added abilities.

> I still haven't had a need to use ships much,

Ships are only really useful against enemy ships. Having a few fireships
or subs near your home docks is always a good idea. Once you control the
seas and skies they merely take up the (limit) space of valuable ground
units.

> though I
> do get to research all 4 disciplines in the Library fully before moving to
> the endgame.

Sounds like you do pretty well.

> One thing I would like to know - is there a way to remove the
> timer limits (top right) entirely, or a cheat to reset it? I couldn't find
> one. Much TIA! ;-)

Heh. Sorry. Eventually you will find that the timer gives you way more
than you need. I finish most Quick Battles within 30 minutes of the
allotted 90 -- sometimes within 10 minutes. Practice makes perfect. :)

Have fun!

- General Sheldon

nostromo

Tx heaps for all the great tips Sheldon! All under advisement. ;)
(I had forgot about the tab key btw - doh!)