Sprint phones from E-bay usable?

Last response: in Network Providers
October 14, 2004 12:25:27 PM

Hello friends,

My existing Sprint PCS phone (LG TP-5250) is not giving reception in
my new apartment and I was told that I may have to buy a new phone,
preferrably a Sanyo to get better reception. I found a couple of them
in ebay (Sanyo PM-8200), they are cheaper and without a contract, I
presume?

The question is, can I buy these phones off of ebay and will Sprint
activate these phones in place of my existing ones (we have two phones
sharing mins, my wife and me) without insisting on a fresh contract
(meaning 'month-to-month)?

Would appreciate some help and thanks in advance.

Aravind
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 9:20:02 PM

"Aravind" <aravind_rolands@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello friends,
>
> My existing Sprint PCS phone (LG TP-5250) is not giving reception in
> my new apartment and I was told that I may have to buy a new phone,
> preferrably a Sanyo to get better reception. I found a couple of them
> in ebay (Sanyo PM-8200), they are cheaper and without a contract, I
> presume?

Not necessarily. There are a number of possibilities.

The seller could have activated it, and decided they wanted another phone
and phone is still associated with a contract.
The seller decided to move his coverage to another wireless provider, and
can use the 8200 with them. The phone could still be associated on a
contract.
The seller could be in default on his account & is trying to dump the phone.
In this case, SPCS will not activate this phone till the past due on the
account has been paid off.
The seller could have found a lost phone and is trying to sell it. SPCS
won't activate this phone either.

> The question is, can I buy these phones off of ebay and will Sprint
> activate these phones in place of my existing ones (we have two phones
> sharing mins, my wife and me) without insisting on a fresh contract
> (meaning 'month-to-month)?

Yes, if there are no encumbrances on the phone, i.e.: balance due on the
account or if it was lost.

Best thing to do is to contact the seller, get the ESNs on the phone(s),
then call SPCS, tell them what you want to do, and ask whether there is any
problems associated via the phones, by giving the ESNs

If there is no problem with the phone(s) (or the seller for that matter), go
ahead and buy them. You can do an ESN exchange (transferring the registered
phone on the account) at no charge.

Bob
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 9:53:28 PM

October 14, 2004 10:53:16 PM

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in message
<snipped>
> To my knowledge, you are going to be asked to sign up for one year for
> any phone you activate. Really a joke as they often charge an
> activation fee as well!

Point of clarification here Tom. No activation fee is charged for an ESN
change on a current account. There is an activation fee on a new account or
a new line of service onto an account.

In addition, no contract extension when doing an ESN change.

Bob
October 15, 2004 2:52:20 AM

FWIW the one I bought from Ebay had 20-30 private numbers left on it from
the previous owner!
John

--
Remove FLY to reply
"Aravind" <aravind_rolands@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello friends,
>
> My existing Sprint PCS phone (LG TP-5250) is not giving reception in
> my new apartment and I was told that I may have to buy a new phone,
> preferrably a Sanyo to get better reception. I found a couple of them
> in ebay (Sanyo PM-8200), they are cheaper and without a contract, I
> presume?
>
> The question is, can I buy these phones off of ebay and will Sprint
> activate these phones in place of my existing ones (we have two phones
> sharing mins, my wife and me) without insisting on a fresh contract
> (meaning 'month-to-month)?
>
> Would appreciate some help and thanks in advance.
>
> Aravind
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 5:08:13 PM

Anonymous
October 15, 2004 5:08:50 PM

Anonymous
October 15, 2004 6:33:57 PM

> Bob Smith <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> > Point of clarification here Tom. No activation fee is charged for an ESN
> > change on a current account. There is an activation fee on a new account
or
> > a new line of service onto an account.
> >
> > In addition, no contract extension when doing an ESN change.
> >

> You are correct. An ESN swap does not affect anything other than the 18
> months required to get a credit towards a new phone, which is reset.
> However, activating an old phone on a new plan still requires a 1 year
> or more agreement ... unless you pay $10 / month to avoid that.

Well, that's what I said above, regarding a new account, isn't it? :)

Bob
Anonymous
October 15, 2004 8:05:45 PM

Oliver Cromwell wrote:

> What is an ESN and how is it found?

ESN stands for "Electronic Serial Number." Like the serial number on
any other major piece of equipment, it is unique to each phone. The
network uses it to pick your phone out from all the others.

To find it, remove the battery from your phone. You should see a
sticker with the Sprint logo and two barcodes, with numbers above them.
One number will be your ESN in decimal format, and the other (with
letters and numbers) is the same ESN in Hexidecimal notation.

And before anyone asks, it is indeed perfectly safe to give someone your
phone's ESN if you plan on selling it. It used to be the case that
"cloning" a cell phone by copying its ESN into another cell phone would
permit someone to make calls on your account. However, with CDMA, you
need a lot more than just the ESN to clone a phone, including a few
constantly-changing numbers that only the phone and the network know,
but will never divulge to any human in order to eliminate the security risk.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
October 15, 2004 8:10:04 PM

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> You are correct. An ESN swap does not affect anything other than the 18
> months required to get a credit towards a new phone, which is reset.

Uhh, actually it should no longer do that either. As long as you're
paying "full price" for the phone, your new-for-you date won't extend.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
October 16, 2004 12:11:07 AM

Anonymous
October 16, 2004 12:48:18 AM

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 6:23:40 PM

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> And what if you don't buy the phone from them at all? Suppose you buy a
> used phone, or perhaps a phone from Costco.

A phone from Costco is still a Sprint subsidized phone. In fact Sprint
is probably paying a slightly heavier subsidy so that Costco can give
you a bigger break.

As for a used phone, there's no subsidy, but then Sprint isn't setting
the price; the person ebaying the phone is.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
October 18, 2004 7:52:37 PM

aravind_rolands@yahoo.com (Aravind) wrote in

> Hello friends,
>
> My existing Sprint PCS phone (LG TP-5250) is not giving reception in
> my new apartment and I was told that I may have to buy a new phone,
> preferrably a Sanyo to get better reception. I found a couple of them
> in ebay (Sanyo PM-8200), they are cheaper and without a contract, I
> presume?

There are folks who sell phones on ebay with a contract being necessary.
This should be stated in the auction.
The vast majority of auctions are for used phones.

> The question is, can I buy these phones off of ebay and will Sprint
> activate these phones in place of my existing ones (we have two phones
> sharing mins, my wife and me) without insisting on a fresh contract
> (meaning 'month-to-month)?
>
> Would appreciate some help and thanks in advance.
>
> Aravind

As others suggest, it would be wise to get the ESN # and check it through
sprint - Though this can be a pain if, like alot of people do, you are
bidding in the last hours/minutes of the auction.
I've sold quite a few sprint phones on ebay, and have always stated the ESN
right in the auction to avoid that little complication.
I've bought sprint phones on ebay at the last minute without knowing the
ESN,and luckily have never been burned.
Anonymous
October 18, 2004 10:48:15 PM

Anonymous
October 19, 2004 5:35:52 PM

In article <41713c08$0$38268$8046368a@newsreader.iphouse.net>, veldy71
@yahoo.com says...
> And what if you don't buy the phone from them at all? Suppose you buy a
> used phone, or perhaps a phone from Costco.

Actually, as long as you're not activating a brand-spanking new phone,
the 18-month "clock" isn't supposed to reset. Only a phone that has
never been activated on another account would reset the clock.

--
RØß
O/Siris

Thomas Paine, "The Rights of Man", 1792
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 2:07:22 AM

"O/Siris" <0siris@sprîntpcs.côm> wrote in message news:1098210942.+lpvr9Bl7WOkrEwtqp4y9A@teranews...

> Actually, as long as you're not activating a brand-spanking new phone,
> the 18-month "clock" isn't supposed to reset. Only a phone that has
> never been activated on another account would reset the clock.

But why would a brand-new phone bought from Costco or another
retailer reset Sprint's clock?
The clock should reset only when Sprint pays for a rebate.

--
John Richards
Anonymous

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

>>A phone from Costco is still a Sprint subsidized phone. In fact Sprint
>>is probably paying a slightly heavier subsidy so that Costco can give
>>you a bigger break.
>

> If it is, I don't see how. Anybody from Costco can buy that phone
> without having a Sprint PCS account.

Yes, and the same is true of any phones you buy as Best Buy or Radio
Shack. You are not required to get an account on the spot to get the
subsidy. You *are* required to activate to get the $150 additional
rebate on the spot, however, or you can sign a contract later and get
the rebate in the form of a service credit.

However, the phones *are* subsidy locked, meaning they will not accept
activation from a carrier other than Sprint. This is how Sprint makes
sure they recoup their costs.

> That phone can be used and it does
> not require any changes to an account (i.e. contract extension).

Again, the same is true of any phone you buy elsewhere (I've never had a
contract extension when buying from Best Buy, RadioShack, and even
directly from Sprint).

> So, if Sprint PCS is subsidizing this phone, then they are not putting
> the usual contract restrictions on the subsidy.

From what I've seen, the restrictions are the same. The only way to
get service on these phones (theorectically at least) is through Sprint,
so they virtually ensure that eventually, they will get their money back
on the loss they took on the phone.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
October 22, 2004 8:29:07 PM

In article <uegdd.19924$Qv5.16766@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
supportdesk70-NO-SPAM@NO.SPAM.sbcglobal.net says...
> "O/Siris" <0siris@sprîntpcs.côm> wrote in message news:1098210942.+lpvr9Bl7WOkrEwtqp4y9A@teranews...
> >
> > Actually, as long as you're not activating a brand-spanking new phone,
> > the 18-month "clock" isn't supposed to reset. Only a phone that has
> > never been activated on another account would reset the clock.
>
> But why would a brand-new phone bought from Costco or another
> retailer reset Sprint's clock?
> The clock should reset only when Sprint pays for a rebate.

This is just speculation, but I think you basically gave the answer
yourself: "Sprint pays for a rebate." The rebate in CostCo's case goes
to CostCo, and you get the phone cheaper. It's not much, I know, but
it's something, so I can see why it might rest the clock. Others...

Well... if you're buying a phone faster than every 18 months, then
Sprint basically has you already. I mean, the rebate is *both* an
assurance of future loyalty and a reward for past loyalty. I would
suppose that buying new phones more often is a pretty good indicator of
both.

I don't know. As I said, I'm speculating.

--
RØß
O/Siris
"A thing moderately good is not so good
as it ought to be. Moderation in temper
is always a virtue, but moderation in
principle is always a vice."

Thomas Paine, "The Rights of Man", 1792
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 1:03:18 AM

John Richards wrote:
> "O/Siris" <0siris@sprîntpcs.côm> wrote in message
>

>> Actually, as long as you're not activating a brand-spanking new phone,
>> the 18-month "clock" isn't supposed to reset. Only a phone that has
>> never been activated on another account would reset the clock.
>

> But why would a brand-new phone bought from Costco or another
> retailer reset Sprint's clock?
> The clock should reset only when Sprint pays for a rebate.

Why should Sprint force a contract extension for a simple calling plan change
that does not involve taking any promotions? I think the answer is the same as
the answer to your question -- Sprint just has a handful of policies that are
quite customer-unfriendly. Both examples fall into that category. Sprint
doesn't have enough stupid policies to convince me that I should use someone
else, but they DO have a few of them.