I know people like to let off some Steam, but this is absu..

Sheesh... Anyone know any STRATEGY games that will be Steam-powered any
time soon?

- Richard Hutnik

richardhutnik@hotmail.com wrote in message news:<1107748039.841393.252290@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>...
> Sheesh... Anyone know any STRATEGY games that will be Steam-powered any
> time soon?
>
> - Richard Hutnik

Yes and No.

Although I tend to play Natural Selection via Steam, as it is just
about the only FPS/RTS (Apart from Savage) that you give commands to
real people, and is not an offical STEAM game anyway, but since you
asked about STEAM powered, it fits the contex. The Source Version
should be out after a few months a guess, but it depends on what you
regard as strategy?

To be honest, Natural Selection is basically Half-Life Starcraft, with
the Ultralist called an Onos, and a Zergling called a Sulk etc and if
you are the commander, it plays like Starcraft as well.

Yes I am aware of the hint in your message :)

On 7 Feb 2005 02:01:58 -0800, harcon01@hotmail.com (Harcon) wrote:

>richardhutnik@hotmail.com wrote in message news:<1107748039.841393.252290@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>...
>> Sheesh... Anyone know any STRATEGY games that will be Steam-powered any
>> time soon?
>>
>> - Richard Hutnik
>
>Yes and No.
>
>Although I tend to play Natural Selection via Steam, as it is just
>about the only FPS/RTS (Apart from Savage)

Battlezone II is also in that style as well. You can give commands to
both AI pilots and other players.

> that you give commands to
>real people, and is not an offical STEAM game anyway, but since you
>asked about STEAM powered, it fits the contex. The Source Version
>should be out after a few months a guess, but it depends on what you
>regard as strategy?

I wouldn't say that it's yet strategic - based on random pubbing, the
gameplay mechanics don't feel like a strategy game. It's meant to have
strategic elements like other similar games, but something seems strangely
off.

There's also a general lack of coordination that's required to play the
game, especially on public servers. While this isn't a problem by itself,
it is difficult when you have to rely on one player (e.g. Marine
Commander).

>To be honest, Natural Selection is basically Half-Life Starcraft, with
>the Ultralist called an Onos, and a Zergling called a Sulk etc and if
>you are the commander, it plays like Starcraft as well.

It only playes like Starcraft when players know what they're doing and can
coordinate. And I'm not part of a clan yet.

<richardhutnik@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Sheesh... Anyone know any STRATEGY games that will be Steam-powered any
> time soon?
>
> - Richard Hutnik

Richard,
Why would you ask such a question? For my part, I certainly hope not.
'Steam-powered'??, how about 'Steam-crippled'?
John

> >Although I tend to play Natural Selection via Steam, as it is just
> >about the only FPS/RTS (Apart from Savage)
>
> Battlezone II is also in that style as well. You can give commands to
> both AI pilots and other players.

I have not played battlezone, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

> > that you give commands to
> >real people, and is not an offical STEAM game anyway, but since you
> >asked about STEAM powered, it fits the contex. The Source Version
> >should be out after a few months a guess, but it depends on what you
> >regard as strategy?
>
> I wouldn't say that it's yet strategic - based on random pubbing, the
> gameplay mechanics don't feel like a strategy game. It's meant to have
> strategic elements like other similar games, but something seems strangely
> off.

One of the problems of Natrual Selection is team members who try to
play deathmatch and ignore all RTS commands given to them by the
commander. Pub servers have always had this problem, but if you are
lucky enough to find a good pub server, you will find almost all
players working as a team, and that is what makes natural selection
shine out.

The problem for pubs alone is not limited to just Natural Selection,
Savage has this issue, and any other FPS/RTS hybrid will have this
issue as long as real people can control the 'units'

> There's also a general lack of coordination that's required to play the
> game, especially on public servers. While this isn't a problem by itself,
> it is difficult when you have to rely on one player (e.g. Marine
> Commander).

Indeed. The only way around it is AI units, but if you rely on 100% AI
units, then there is little point in playing Natural Selection, since
you are playing a normal RTS.

AI is not human enough, and Humans are not AI enough :)

> >To be honest, Natural Selection is basically Half-Life Starcraft, with
> >the Ultralist called an Onos, and a Zergling called a Sulk etc and if
> >you are the commander, it plays like Starcraft as well.
>
> It only playes like Starcraft when players know what they're doing and can
> coordinate. And I'm not part of a clan yet.

Indeed. Thats why pub servers are a gamble. For those who dont know,
Natural selection is like playing an RTS where the AI can change hour
to hour, as the units are controled by real people FPS style. Now most
rts games involve putting units in defence, and Real People would
quickly get bored of sitting at base after a short while, but seeing
as Natural Selection is Free (If you have Half Life) I cannot complain
that my fellow humans suffer from lack of discipline.

Natural Selection in clan games, though, is far better as players
actually play properly rather than play an RTS deathmatch style.

On 6 Feb 2005 19:47:19 -0800, richardhutnik@hotmail.com wrote:

>Sheesh... Anyone know any STRATEGY games that will be Steam-powered any
>time soon?
>
>- Richard Hutnik

Sadly, looks like this latest attempt at trollery (by my doppelganger)
has managed to put the final nail in the coffin of this NG.

John DiFool the 1st

<richardhutnik@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Sheesh... Anyone know any STRATEGY games that will be Steam-powered any
> time soon?

If Steam catches on with a lot of games and has the same intrusiveness
level, chances are that I would give up on PC gaming altogether. People
abandoning the PC as a gaming platform is not something that is good a thing
for it when you consider that console games already outsell PC games by at
least a 10 to 1 margin.