Unlocking Treo 600 for T-Mobile

June 21, 2004 10:21:41 PM

Hello wizards,

I'm trying to find out what's the best (most reliable, fastest and
cheapest)way to start using a Treo 600 handheld phone. I currently
have a voice plan with T-Mobile and would love to keep my SIM card and
phone number.

Keeping my number with T-Mobile automatically means additional $250.
I keep reading about unlocking the Treo 600 to allow free use with any
carrier. I am a bit confused. Hopefully you can help.

1) What exactly does unlocking mean?
2) Can I just buy the cheapest Treo 600 on the market (Cingular I
think), unlock it and use my T-Mobile SIM card? Will it work?
Including data?
3) Does using an unlocked phone mean that I will not be able to
upgrade the phone's firmware?

As you can see, I am crying for help... All the other postings explain
how to unlock where I still needs to know WHAT'S GOING ON. All I want
is a new TREO 600.

Thanks in advance,
Dotan.
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 12:25:29 PM

dotan_ak@yahoo.com (DotNYC) wrote:
>2) Can I just buy the cheapest Treo 600 on the market (Cingular I
>think), unlock it and use my T-Mobile SIM card? Will it work?
>Including data?

IIRC Cingular phones are not locked. Yes it'll work, though I can't
speak to data. However, you may get the Treo 600 cheaper from
T-Mobile, as you have an account with them.

--
William Smith
June 22, 2004 1:14:28 PM

On Seg 21 Jun 2004 22:21, DotNYC wrote:

> Hello wizards,

I'm just an apprentice with PDAs, but I "work" with telecom. ;-)

> 1) What exactly does unlocking mean?

To get significative discounts, cellphone companies buy lots of phones at
once or have a partnership with manufacturers. Since for GSM it's only a
matter of switching SIM cards to have a new number, they change the
firmware / software to block SIMs from other GSM operators and to make the
phone work only with their brand / cards.

To unlock is to remove such a modification, restoring the usual way the
phone works and making it work with any SIM card, no matter from what
operator it is.

In some countries there's a law that the cellphone companies have to unlock
your phone after X months (in France, for example, it's after 6 months,
here in Brazil there's no law, but you can request an unlock at some
operators for free or for some charge if you're going to travel abroad --
e.g. to the US or to Europe -- or if you have the phone for more than the
minimal permanence time you signed in the contract, usually 12 months). I
don't know how it is in the US... you might want to check. Here some
operators charge the equivalent to US$ 33.00 to unlock the phone (mine does
it for free, I think).

The way the unlock is done depends on the phone, sometimes it's just a code
entered and it's all done. Sometimes you need to rewrite the firmware
(flash/EEPROM)...

You can find codes on the web. Ask Cingular people if they unlock the phone
for a charge too. It might be better to have them to unlock it.

Sometimes there's a penalty if you don't remain with them for a minimum
period of time, but then, you'd keep their simcard... you just won't use
it ;-)

> 2) Can I just buy the cheapest Treo 600 on the market (Cingular I
> think), unlock it and use my T-Mobile SIM card? Will it work?
> Including data?

If it's unlocked it should work.

Data will depend on what your operator supports. Check with T-Mobile. It
probably will support everything, but check with them to see if some
essential characteristic you're buying the Treo for won't work.

> 3) Does using an unlocked phone mean that I will not be able to
> upgrade the phone's firmware?

I dunno... Probably you can, since this depends more on the manufacturer of
the phone than the cellphone company... You might just need to reconfigure
something later, or nothing at all: it depends on what is backed up ;-)

Be seeing you,
--
Godoy. <godoy@ieee.org>
June 22, 2004 7:48:17 PM

Jorge Godoy <godoy@ieee.org> wrote in message news:<ibklq1-1ed.ln1@wintermute.g2ctech>...
> On Seg 21 Jun 2004 22:21, DotNYC wrote:
>
> > Hello wizards,
>
> I'm just an apprentice with PDAs, but I "work" with telecom. ;-)
>
> > 1) What exactly does unlocking mean?
>
> To get significative discounts, cellphone companies buy lots of phones at
> once or have a partnership with manufacturers. Since for GSM it's only a
> matter of switching SIM cards to have a new number, they change the
> firmware / software to block SIMs from other GSM operators and to make the
> phone work only with their brand / cards.
>
> To unlock is to remove such a modification, restoring the usual way the
> phone works and making it work with any SIM card, no matter from what
> operator it is.
>
> In some countries there's a law that the cellphone companies have to unlock
> your phone after X months (in France, for example, it's after 6 months,
> here in Brazil there's no law, but you can request an unlock at some
> operators for free or for some charge if you're going to travel abroad --
> e.g. to the US or to Europe -- or if you have the phone for more than the
> minimal permanence time you signed in the contract, usually 12 months). I
> don't know how it is in the US... you might want to check. Here some
> operators charge the equivalent to US$ 33.00 to unlock the phone (mine does
> it for free, I think).
>
> The way the unlock is done depends on the phone, sometimes it's just a code
> entered and it's all done. Sometimes you need to rewrite the firmware
> (flash/EEPROM)...
>
> You can find codes on the web. Ask Cingular people if they unlock the phone
> for a charge too. It might be better to have them to unlock it.
>
> Sometimes there's a penalty if you don't remain with them for a minimum
> period of time, but then, you'd keep their simcard... you just won't use
> it ;-)
>
> > 2) Can I just buy the cheapest Treo 600 on the market (Cingular I
> > think), unlock it and use my T-Mobile SIM card? Will it work?
> > Including data?
>
> If it's unlocked it should work.
>
> Data will depend on what your operator supports. Check with T-Mobile. It
> probably will support everything, but check with them to see if some
> essential characteristic you're buying the Treo for won't work.
>
> > 3) Does using an unlocked phone mean that I will not be able to
> > upgrade the phone's firmware?
>
> I dunno... Probably you can, since this depends more on the manufacturer of
> the phone than the cellphone company... You might just need to reconfigure
> something later, or nothing at all: it depends on what is backed up ;-)
>

> Be seeing you,

Thanks a lot!!!
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 8:45:04 PM

In regards to your questions,

1) "Unlocking" in regards to cellphones or smartphones means that you
will be able to use the cellphone with any cellphone service provider,
provided that the cellphone provider uses the same technology (GSM,
CDMA, TDMA, etc.). In regards to GSM phones, an unlocked phone means
that all you have to do is put in the SIM from any service provider
and the phone will work. Putting another service provider's SIM card
into a SIM-locked phone will give you an error message (either
"Invalid SIM" or "SIM cannot be used with this phone" or another
message which is dependant on the phone similar to these 2 messages).
The great thing about unlocked GSM phones is that if you travel to
another country for an extended period of time, you don't have to rely
on paying the roaming rates from your home service provider. You can
just purchase a SIM card in the other country and go with the
country's cellphone provider's prepaid service which is often less
expensive than the roaming rates of your home service provider.

2) Yes, it will work. The data features will work properly as well as
long as the Treo 600 is unlocked properly. I have a Treo 600 and I
bought it unlocked. It later became locked when I updated the firmware
available on PalmOne's website. I complained to PalmOne but they
wouldn't or couldn't help me. I eventually hacked my Treo 600 and
managed to unlock it. The data (GPRS) works with the 2 different SIMs
that I tried (from 2 different companies).

3) This depends on how the Treo 600 was unlocked or whether the Treo
600 was ever locked to begin with. It also depends on the firmware
(see above for my experience with updating the firmware).

I'm very happy with my Treo 600. The only thing that you should worry
about with the Treo 600 is if you ever need technical support from
PalmOne. Their technical support leaves a lot to be desired. I believe
that their technical support was outsourced to a different country.
When I called them about my Treo 600 becoming locked after the
firmware update, the didn't know what GSM "locked" phones are. They
had me do all sorts of things that I knew wouldn't fix my problem.

I believe that the initial Cingular Treo 600's were sold unlocked
(manufactured by Handspring). I'm not sure what the current status is
for the Treo 600's being sold by Cingular (PalmOne version) since I
live in Canada.

I hope this helps.

/Jim

!