Can anyone here field a Session 8 question?

Legacy/Retro-question. I happened to inherit an old Session 8 system...

that is the original hardware interface box cabled to a Pmac8100/100.

I want to run it again. The Mac OS is 8.6. I ran the installer for
Digi.
Session 8; v 1.1. Fine. Then, on reboot, the extensions icon for
Session8
load appeared , "X-ed out", with the error-message "No Drive."

(SIdenote. I have no manual).

Upon startup of the Session 8 app, the openning screen appears briefly
followed by an error dialogue message that there is no "valid drive"
recognized by Session 8.

Can anyone remember what i need to do get this app to recognize its
record
HD? I just assumed that it would use the internal HD that the
application
is on...

There is an open SCSI port available on the Powermac... Did it
need to see an externally connected SCSI drive to run or...??

Otherwise, anybody got a manual?

THanks!'

Mike
8 answers Last reply
More about field session question

    hey there--

    Hank's right about the manual--it should still be on Digi's site.

    The "no drive" condition is definitely a SCSI drive issue: Early
    Digidesign systems *required* that audio be recorded on an external
    SCSI drive as at the time that was the only way to get the necessary
    throughput. It's been a *long* time, but if I recall correctly the
    drive needs to be on the Digidesign bus--the one accessed from the PCI
    or NuBus card that was added to the machine, *not* the Mac SCSI bus.
    Again, that's IIRC.

    --Gordon Rice
    Chief Engineer
    Sigma Sound
    Philadelphia PA

    mike44455@aol.com wrote:
    > Legacy/Retro-question. I happened to inherit an old Session 8
    system...

    > that is the original hardware interface box cabled to a Pmac8100/100.
    >
    > I want to run it again. The Mac OS is 8.6. I ran the installer for
    > Digi.
    > Session 8; v 1.1. Fine. Then, on reboot, the extensions icon for
    > Session8
    > load appeared , "X-ed out", with the error-message "No Drive."
    >
    > (SIdenote. I have no manual).
    >
    > Upon startup of the Session 8 app, the openning screen appears
    briefly
    > followed by an error dialogue message that there is no "valid
    drive"
    > recognized by Session 8.
    >
    > Can anyone remember what i need to do get this app to recognize its
    > record
    > HD? I just assumed that it would use the internal HD that the
    > application
    > is on...
    >
    > There is an open SCSI port available on the Powermac... Did it
    > need to see an externally connected SCSI drive to run or...??
    >
    > Otherwise, anybody got a manual?

    The Session 8 card is basically a Protools 3 card with, without the
    TDM daughterboard or a dsp farm card. Like a Protools 3 system you
    need to connect the scsi disk and the interface to the card. You need
    a compatible DAE/Digi init combination that works with your software
    too, you will be limited in how recent the software is you can use by
    the speed of your mac which is why a Newertech G3 upgrade card would be
    your friend. The Sonnet cards never worked right fof this stuff. The
    Session 8 interface actually works as an 882 interface on versions of
    Protools software up version 5.01, of you get a copy of the semi hacked
    DAE "Nubus Card Kit" for your Protools 3 system somewhere.

    The Session 8 software is pretty limited. I would reccommend
    something like Studio Vision Pro - which supports DAE - as a good
    candidate for software as it is of the period and you can find non-
    copyprotected versions around. After tracking in DAE you can use the
    card with the Digidesign sound driver (not with DAE) with SVP's "Acadia
    drivers" and you can use older VST plug ins for effects. You are
    limited to 8 tracks of I/O on the "Elvis" card (which is what they
    called the thing)in DAE, but in acadia mode (with vst plugs) I think
    you can get more voices, but only 2 outputs.

    HTH.

    Will Miho
    NY Music & TV Audio Guy
    Staff Audio / Fox News Channel / M-AES

    Thanks Gordon and Hank, the machine came to me with a PT version 4
    already operable - and recognizing the Drive (internal 4G in this
    case). The
    card was already installed and the user had been using the Session 8
    interface, but, for PT, not Session 8.

    Hence, I gather then, that if I wanted to use the Session 8 i'm not
    quite clear where the difference lies if the card already is connected
    to and reading the
    Internal HD as the 'record drive' under early this early PT version.
    There's only one cabling option from the Session 8 interface box to the
    soundcard, but
    the card itself does not have a spare SCSI port for a separate HD...

    Also did look for documentation on the site but unfortunately, not to
    be found
    at least, under the Legacy/Session 8 categories...

    Thanks!

    Mike

    mike44455@aol.com wrote:
    > There's only one cabling option from the Session 8 interface box to
    the
    > soundcard, but
    > the card itself does not have a spare SCSI port for a separate HD...
    >
    > Also did look for documentation on the site but unfortunately, not to
    > be found
    > at least, under the Legacy/Session 8 categories...

    FYI the Session 8 card is also called the "Protools Project Card".

    http://www.digidesign.com/support/propix/ptProjectNubus.html

    And the reason you can't find the "second connector" is because it's
    a special Digidesign cable that goes through the little hole next to
    the other connector on the card, it plugs in on the *inside* of the
    card onto the circuit board slot.

    I built a fully blown PTIII TDM system with 5 farm cards from a
    single Project card once upon a time, expansion chassis and all (which
    I should probably ebay if I finish a couple of things someday.) The
    last version of PT software that had nubus code support is Version
    5.01, but the DAE And Digi init were not upgraded by Digi, but the
    "Nubus posse" on DAW MAC had a little "Nubus care kit" with modified
    DAE/DSI that would enable the V5 software.

    I you upgrade to V5.01 software and need a DAE/Digi Init combo that
    will let you use it, let me know. It's unsupported, but Digidesign knew
    about it and was cool with it as long as no one hassled them with
    questions.

    Will Miho
    NY Music and TV Audio Guy
    Staff A1 / Fox News Channel / M-AES

    <mike wrote:

    > Legacy/Retro-question. I happened to inherit an old Session 8 system...

    > that is the original hardware interface box cabled to a Pmac8100/100.

    If you get this running you'd find a Newertech 300 MHz G3 card very
    friendly. (I have an 8100/110 w/AM II card with one of those processor
    cards, and it's a whole new Mac.)

    > I want to run it again. The Mac OS is 8.6. I ran the installer for
    > Digi.
    > Session 8; v 1.1. Fine. Then, on reboot, the extensions icon for
    > Session8
    > load appeared , "X-ed out", with the error-message "No Drive."

    > (SIdenote. I have no manual).

    > Upon startup of the Session 8 app, the openning screen appears briefly
    > followed by an error dialogue message that there is no "valid drive"
    > recognized by Session 8.

    > Can anyone remember what i need to do get this app to recognize its
    > record
    > HD? I just assumed that it would use the internal HD that the
    > application
    > is on...

    Digi usually provided the app on one disc or set of discs, and the
    authorization key(s) on another floppy. One would have to install the
    app, then follow that with the key(s). Do you have all the necessary
    discs?

    > There is an open SCSI port available on the Powermac... Did it
    > need to see an externally connected SCSI drive to run or...??

    I don't think that's the issue, but I could be wrong. I got a version of
    Session 8 bundled with something else I bought, but I never even opened
    the box, and I've never messed with the hardware. But the error message
    you're seeing suggests to me that the auth key is not installed.

    > Otherwise, anybody got a manual?

    Have you checked to see if it's available for downlaod at digi's site? I
    do have the whole app here, with discs.

    --
    ha

    WillStG wrote:
    > mike44455@aol.com wrote:
    > > There's only one cabling option from the Session 8 interface box to
    > the
    > > soundcard, but
    > > the card itself does not have a spare SCSI port for a separate HD.
    > And the reason you can't find the "second connector" is because
    it's
    > a special Digidesign cable that goes through the little hole next to
    > the other connector on the card, it plugs in on the *inside* of the
    > card onto the circuit board slot.
    Thanks Will!
    Bummerz! I thought i was good to go with this thing...( I wondered
    what
    the hole was for!)
    So to connect the 'missing' record drive, i need that proprietary digi
    cable which, theoretically was to hook up an external HD?

    ANy notion of where i might find such an antiquity...as I still would
    prefer to fire up and run Session 8 'as it originally was designed to
    run.

    Meanwhile, if i can get the cable, i presume even beyond that i must
    go through some form of authorizing process with an original set of
    Session 8 discs to run the app too? ?
    Anybody have the cable orany ideas on how to make this happen? I
    really appreciate it.

    Mike

    In article <1109706869.997422.266070@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com> willstg@aol.com writes:

    > FYI the Session 8 card is also called the "Protools Project Card".

    I remember when Session 8 first came out, and I don't remember there
    being a ProTools at the time. There was probably a Sound Tools.

    mike44455@aol.com wrote:
    > So to connect the 'missing' record drive, i need that proprietary
    digi
    > cable which, theoretically was to hook up an external HD?
    >
    > ANy notion of where i might find such an antiquity...as I still would
    > prefer to fire up and run Session 8 'as it originally was designed to
    > run.

    Jeff Cohen over at Digidesign told a guy about a half year ago
    they still had them in stock. They look like/their identifying info is
    here

    http://www.digidesign.com/support/propix/CableEndsSCSINuBus.html

    Also you get a nice visual reference for Digidesign parts if you
    just use that link up to where it says "propix".

    > Meanwhile, if i can get the cable, i presume even beyond that i must
    > go through some form of authorizing process with an original set of
    > Session 8 discs to run the app too? ?
    > Anybody have the cable orany ideas on how to make this happen? I
    > really appreciate it.

    If Protools 4 is authorized on your computer it should work fine,
    but you get no dsp for mixing. But with Studio Vision Pro ( search and
    you will find it just about in the public domain) you can use the card
    to track in DAE mode 8 tracks at a time, then with the Digidesign
    sound manager and the acadia drivers in SVP you will be able to use a
    few vst plugins for mixing down to 2 tracks.

    The real advantage of the card over say an Audiomedia II card is
    you can record 8 tracks at once, and the Session 8 interface box has
    headphones and inserts built in. But it is a -10 interface though.

    Will Miho
    NY Music & TV Audio Guy
    Staff Audio / Fox News / M-AES

Pro Audio Audio