Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Had this for a few days now and am having my first game as Germany but have
a couple of questions

Are subs useful? I didn't worry about building or researching a surface
fleet instead I built 25 subs putting them into 5 squadrons of 5. Sent them
out into the Atlantic with orders to attack convoys but all they manage to
do is sink 1 or 2 escorts and then get sunk by Allied battle fleets.
Should I have put them into 1 or 2 squadrons or concentrate them all in the
same area?

Is it better to have Panzer pure Corps or mixed arms?

Same with bomber units and escorts, if I have a fighter or two with a 4-5
bomber unit does that fighter act as an escort or bomber?

I know the answers are probably on the webforums but I'm on dialup (and a
slow on at that) so I could paint the house while waiting for the pages to
load :)

Cheers
Rob

hermann

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2004

> Are subs useful?

Yes, extremely so. ATM they are overpowered, but that should be fixed in the
fortcoming patch.

If you keep your subs in huge stacks (12-18) they can defeat virtually any
enemy navy. Since they are cheap and with short build times, you can produce
quite a few. Make sure you don't start building them before you have decent
sub techs, though, since fleets cannot be upgraded.

Sub warfare follow the same general principles as everything else: focus
your attention, technology and units on a few areas, rather than reaching a
mediocre level overall.

> Is it better to have Panzer pure Corps or mixed arms?

I prefer a few stacks of pure panzer since their faster movement is wasted
when mixed with infantry. Instead I leave the infantry for mopping up.
Blitzkrieg is already modelled at a lower level in this game, but I find the
method works very well on the strategical scale as well.

Since there is already a unit for mixed arms (mech inf), my advice is to
keep the panzers pure, assuming you have sufficient amounts of them (lone
units are vulnerable). Also, there are some very good panzer commanders with
Mj. General rank which can be put to good use this way, rather than
promoting them and reducing their skill.

> Same with bomber units and escorts, if I have a fighter or
> two with a 4-5 bomber unit does that fighter act as an
> escort or bomber?

I'm not sure about that one, but I would assume it acts as a bomber if it's
in the same stack as the bomber and given bomb orders (though it defends
with a better air defence than a bomber). There are specific escort
aircraft, which presumably can be given escort orders, but I've never tried
it myself. 3-4 stacks of 4 pure interceptors is usually enough to achieve
air supremacy and let your bombers roam uninterupted.

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Hermann" <hr_hesse@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Are subs useful?
>
> Yes, extremely so. ATM they are overpowered, but that should be fixed in
> the
> fortcoming patch.

I hope not, I've got lots of them :)

> If you keep your subs in huge stacks (12-18) they can defeat virtually any
> enemy navy. Since they are cheap and with short build times, you can
> produce
> quite a few. Make sure you don't start building them before you have
> decent
> sub techs, though, since fleets cannot be upgraded.

Thanks, I suspected that my mistake was having the squadrons to small.

> Sub warfare follow the same general principles as everything else: focus
> your attention, technology and units on a few areas, rather than reaching
> mediocre level overall.

Are you saying here that its better to research things maybe 2-3 years ahead
of where you are and take the penelty?

Thanks for the tips

In article <jzXPd.1338$1S4.122754@news.xtra.co.nz>, "rob"
<roball@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

>Are you saying here that its better to research things maybe 2-3 years ahead
>of where you are and take the penelty?

There is a huge speed penalty for researching more than one year in
advance, so avoid doing it. One year in advance is OK.

You should develop at least type VII subs (type 9 is better) before you
start building them in large numbers, because they are not upgradable.

Henri