Binaural Recording using a PC's Line in.

Hi,
I tried to record a sinusoidal tone using a pair of microphones by
plugging the microphones into the line-in port of my sound card. I used
Sony Sound Forge to record the signal.But what i saw was that both the
channels were identical.It seemed like the recorded file was a sum of
the individual mic ouputs. I connected the mics to the line in using a
Dual Mono female to Stereo Male Jack.
Is there anyway I can actually record the channels separately, i mean
the left mic's output should come in the left channel and right mic in
the right channel.

Thanx in advance,

Karthik Ravikanti

http://students.iiit.net/~karthik_ravikanti

Let there be Sound!!!
5 answers Last reply
More about binaural recording line

    I dont really need a great quality, so sensitivity does not matter.By
    the way, i m using a preamp too.All I need is delay between the two
    channels, so that i can cross-corelate them and find the
    ITD(Inter-aural time difference).

    Karthik
    You said you did not connect your mics into the stereo MIC input (or each
    one into a discreet input).
    Your Mic input adaptor should be stereo-to-stereo anyway, to keep separate
    the two sources which, I guess, are terminated in 1/4" or 3.5mm jackplugs.
    You have therefore combined L and R.
    Roughly, Line at 100mV is about two hundred times LESS sensitive than
    dynamic Mic at 0.5mV.
    But how you expect to get a sine wave from just using 2 mics into the Line
    input dumbfounds me!
    Jim

    On 1 Mar 2005 04:04:12 -0800, "P L U M !"
    <karthik.ravikanti@gmail.com> wrote:

    >I tried to record a sinusoidal tone using a pair of microphones by
    >plugging the microphones into the line-in port of my sound card. I used
    >Sony Sound Forge to record the signal.But what i saw was that both the
    >channels were identical.It seemed like the recorded file was a sum of
    >the individual mic ouputs. I connected the mics to the line in using a
    >Dual Mono female to Stereo Male Jack.
    >Is there anyway I can actually record the channels separately, i mean
    >the left mic's output should come in the left channel and right mic in
    >the right channel.

    Mics should go into mic inputs. But you're getting some sort of
    result - so let's leave that point for now :-)

    Take this logically, one step at a time. Connect only one mic. Do
    you get a recording on only one stereo channel in SoundForge?

    Yeah, I did connect one mic at a time....the other channel does not go
    off...:(

    Karthik
    http://students.iiit.net/~karthik_ravikanti
    ----

    Let there be Sound!!!

    Hi again,

    Thanx for the responses guys....but I found the problem!!!

    The dual mono female input jack I was using was the culprit.
    I tested it with a multimeter and the channels were shorted...I
    replaced it with one stereo jack....and everything is just workin as it
    should....thanx again..

    Karthik Ravikanti

    http://students.iiit.net/~karthik_ravikanti

    ----