AOE II Online Gaming

I am trying to play Age of Empires II The Conquerors online. I've tried
using TCP/IP as a host, and in joining a game, and can not get either
to work.

I have been able to do this in the past, but just reinstalled after a
year away and now I have a wireless network. I can connect to games on
MSN Game Zone, but I cannot host games. Can anyone help me?

Thanks, RILY

"RILY" <RilyRily@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to play Age of Empires II The Conquerors online. I've tried
> using TCP/IP as a host, and in joining a game, and can not get either
> to work.
>
> I have been able to do this in the past, but just reinstalled after a
> year away and now I have a wireless network. I can connect to games on
> MSN Game Zone, but I cannot host games. Can anyone help me?

Probably your firewall mate. Check your wireless router.

Ceo-

I do think it's the router, but I don't know what to change. I've tried
enabling DMZ and adding my ip address, and I've tried disabling WAN
Block. I also tried Port Forwarding for 28000-29100 which as I
understand is the port range needed for CD-Rom Games on MSN. I'm not
sure what else to change on the router settings. I have a LinkSys
router. Anyone know the specific settings I should be looking at?

>I do think it's the router, but I don't know what to change. I've tried
> enabling DMZ and adding my ip address, and I've tried disabling WAN
> Block. I also tried Port Forwarding for 28000-29100 which as I
> understand is the port range needed for CD-Rom Games on MSN. I'm not
> sure what else to change on the router settings. I have a LinkSys
> router. Anyone know the specific settings I should be looking at?

You running service pack 2? Have you ensured port forwarding is set up there
as well, try simply turning it of as well. As long as you got the router
with a firewall setup you should be ok.

I've never used a LinkSys sorry, so I cant offer any other real advice.

Ceo-

Thanks I appreciate the help. I am running SP2 and I have set up Port
Forwarding. I don't understand the concept of port forwarding, so I
don't have a clue if it's set up correctly. But I put the range in the
MSN Game Zone listed. I can play on my LAN, we had three of us playing
last night, all on my home network, 2 wireless...but for someone out of
the house, it won't work.

I did go to the Linksys page and then today someone sent me another
link to a great page that had screen shots to set up port forwarding.
I've set it up as instructed. Now i just have to wait till someone I
know with the game, gets home so I can try it out. I am play in MSN
Gaming Zone,but I want to be able to use TCP/IP too....I thinkit's
faster without going through the Zone.

Thanks for the explanation too...I appreciate that. Hard to learn some
of these things, when you don't understand the basics of them.

> Thanks I appreciate the help. I am running SP2 and I have set up Port
> Forwarding. I don't understand the concept of port forwarding, so I
> don't have a clue if it's set up correctly. But I put the range in the
> MSN Game Zone listed. I can play on my LAN, we had three of us playing
> last night, all on my home network, 2 wireless...but for someone out of
> the house, it won't work.

Port Forwarding is in its most basic concept allows certain ports on your
computer to have data forwarded both out into the world through the router,
and vice versa.

Its like putting a hole in your firewall, or installing a door into a wall.

Have you looked up LinkSys via google? I can almost guarantee you that there
is someone out there with a tutorial on how to set it up properly.

Ceo-