AOE II Online Gaming

I am trying to play Age of Empires II The Conquerors online. I've tried
using TCP/IP as a host, and in joining a game, and can not get either
to work.

I have been able to do this in the past, but just reinstalled after a
year away and now I have a wireless network. I can connect to games on
MSN Game Zone, but I cannot host games. Can anyone help me?

Thanks, RILY
6 answers Last reply
More about online gaming
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "RILY" <RilyRily@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to play Age of Empires II The Conquerors online. I've tried
    > using TCP/IP as a host, and in joining a game, and can not get either
    > to work.
    >
    > I have been able to do this in the past, but just reinstalled after a
    > year away and now I have a wireless network. I can connect to games on
    > MSN Game Zone, but I cannot host games. Can anyone help me?

    Probably your firewall mate. Check your wireless router.

    Ceo-
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    I do think it's the router, but I don't know what to change. I've tried
    enabling DMZ and adding my ip address, and I've tried disabling WAN
    Block. I also tried Port Forwarding for 28000-29100 which as I
    understand is the port range needed for CD-Rom Games on MSN. I'm not
    sure what else to change on the router settings. I have a LinkSys
    router. Anyone know the specific settings I should be looking at?
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    >I do think it's the router, but I don't know what to change. I've tried
    > enabling DMZ and adding my ip address, and I've tried disabling WAN
    > Block. I also tried Port Forwarding for 28000-29100 which as I
    > understand is the port range needed for CD-Rom Games on MSN. I'm not
    > sure what else to change on the router settings. I have a LinkSys
    > router. Anyone know the specific settings I should be looking at?

    You running service pack 2? Have you ensured port forwarding is set up there
    as well, try simply turning it of as well. As long as you got the router
    with a firewall setup you should be ok.

    I've never used a LinkSys sorry, so I cant offer any other real advice.

    Ceo-
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Thanks I appreciate the help. I am running SP2 and I have set up Port
    Forwarding. I don't understand the concept of port forwarding, so I
    don't have a clue if it's set up correctly. But I put the range in the
    MSN Game Zone listed. I can play on my LAN, we had three of us playing
    last night, all on my home network, 2 wireless...but for someone out of
    the house, it won't work.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    I did go to the Linksys page and then today someone sent me another
    link to a great page that had screen shots to set up port forwarding.
    I've set it up as instructed. Now i just have to wait till someone I
    know with the game, gets home so I can try it out. I am play in MSN
    Gaming Zone,but I want to be able to use TCP/IP too....I thinkit's
    faster without going through the Zone.

    Thanks for the explanation too...I appreciate that. Hard to learn some
    of these things, when you don't understand the basics of them.

    Rily
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    > Thanks I appreciate the help. I am running SP2 and I have set up Port
    > Forwarding. I don't understand the concept of port forwarding, so I
    > don't have a clue if it's set up correctly. But I put the range in the
    > MSN Game Zone listed. I can play on my LAN, we had three of us playing
    > last night, all on my home network, 2 wireless...but for someone out of
    > the house, it won't work.

    Port Forwarding is in its most basic concept allows certain ports on your
    computer to have data forwarded both out into the world through the router,
    and vice versa.

    Its like putting a hole in your firewall, or installing a door into a wall.

    Have you looked up LinkSys via google? I can almost guarantee you that there
    is someone out there with a tutorial on how to set it up properly.

    Ceo-

PC gaming Gaming Wireless Network Games Video Games