ipaq recording

Last response: in Home Audio
March 1, 2005 12:08:49 PM

hi all,

i want to record various things whilst out and about, ambience and
noises... at first i thought a cheap mp3 player/recorder would do, but
i've not really been able to find much that comes up to anything more
than 'voice' quality.

on thinking about it, i thought why not use my ipaq - its always with
me and has a gig of memory but i had a feeling that the recording
resolution was gonna be pretty shitty at 8bit 22khz type stuff. i
managed to find a hidden away setting which will up the sample rate to
16bit stereo, but im still not convinced with the onboard mic.

i've seen a bit of bolt on kit you can get but it uses the currently
used card slot and i think is probably overkill. does anyone know if i
can use the stereo headphone jack as a mic input for say a bettery
powered PZM - or maybe even a stereo mic?! (seeing as it thinks it can
record stereo somehow!) or maybe there is a wierd type mic connection i
can plug into the bottom of it (where the sync cable goes). the manual
is pretty skimpy and net searches haven't yielded me too much.

any ideas appreciated.

cheers

Luke

More about : ipaq recording

Anonymous
March 1, 2005 12:22:05 PM

i guess i should say which i forgot - the point of this is this to use
the 'interesting' noises in CD audio tracks, but at the moment its just
to capture ideas which i can refer back to and maybe even use as
loops/effects in songs if the quality is good enuff.

sorry :)

Luke
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 7:46:52 AM

Luke,

I don't know of any Ipaq's with a mic input (can somebody show me that I'm
wrong?). However, all is not lost. My HP2215 has a reasonably decent mic
(for being a handheld) and can record at 16-bit/44.1KHz - CD quality.

Try these sites for related hardware/software:
http://www.core-sound.com/HighResRecorderNews.html
http://www.pocketrec.com/

http://pocketpc.webpark.sk/#download
http://www.pdamusician.com/
http://www.phonature.com:8092/home/index.htm
http://www.pocketpcsoft.net/php/newresults.php?type=mus...
http://vitotechnology.com/en/products/ppc.html
http://www.meloditronic.com/phoenix.php

"LuKeNuKuM" <lukenukum@gmail.com> wrote in message
> hi all,
>
> i want to record various things whilst out and about, ambience and
> noises... at first i thought a cheap mp3 player/recorder would do, but
> i've not really been able to find much that comes up to anything more
> than 'voice' quality.
>
> on thinking about it, i thought why not use my ipaq - its always with
> me and has a gig of memory but i had a feeling that the recording
> resolution was gonna be pretty shitty at 8bit 22khz type stuff. i
> managed to find a hidden away setting which will up the sample rate to
> 16bit stereo, but im still not convinced with the onboard mic.
>
> i've seen a bit of bolt on kit you can get but it uses the currently
> used card slot and i think is probably overkill. does anyone know if i
> can use the stereo headphone jack as a mic input for say a bettery
> powered PZM - or maybe even a stereo mic?! (seeing as it thinks it can
> record stereo somehow!) or maybe there is a wierd type mic connection i
> can plug into the bottom of it (where the sync cable goes). the manual
> is pretty skimpy and net searches haven't yielded me too much.
>
> any ideas appreciated.
>
> cheers
>
> Luke

March 15, 2005 6:32:46 AM

hi DScott,

thanks for the links - some interesting stuff on there!

i actually did try using the onboard mic to and was pleasently
suprised! managed to set the bitrate up to 16/44 and all has worked
pretty well as a small portable solution!

i mentioned mic input because you know the headfones you can get for
hands-free on a mobile phone? my ipaq is also a phone so i was assuming
there was some sort of mic jack in the standard output jack?! not sure.

thanks again for the links,

Luke
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 9:30:11 PM

LuKeNuKuM <lukenukum@gmail.com> wrote:

>i mentioned mic input because you know the headfones you can get for
>hands-free on a mobile phone? my ipaq is also a phone so i was assuming
>there was some sort of mic jack in the standard output jack?! not sure.

There are a few PocketPC PDAs that have single (mono) mic inputs: the h5100-
and h5500-series iPAQs from HP. The mic input is on the headphone jack
-- it's a tip/ring/ring/sleeve configuration.

moskowit@core-sound.com Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
!