Age of Wonders - need some info on what to get

I've heard good things in various places about the game Age of
Wonders, and decided to search for it on eBay. I got a bunch of hits
for several different Age of Wonders games, and I'm not sure which one
to get. There was one just called Age of Wonders, and another called
Age of Wonders 2: Wizard's Throne, and another called Age of Wonders
Shadow Magic. Can anyone tell me how they are tied together - sequels?
expansion packs? - and make a recommendation on what to buy?

Thanks,

John

Shadow Magic has random maps. If that is important to you, it's the
one to get. Also I felt that the new races in Shadow Magic weren't so
horrilbly generic as the original ones. It's a good game, but
Dominions 2 is better.

"John Smith" <reply@this.newsgroup.com> wrote in message
> I've heard good things in various places about the game Age of
> Wonders, and decided to search for it on eBay. I got a bunch of hits
> for several different Age of Wonders games, and I'm not sure which one
> to get. There was one just called Age of Wonders, and another called
> Age of Wonders 2: Wizard's Throne, and another called Age of Wonders
> Shadow Magic. Can anyone tell me how they are tied together - sequels?
> expansion packs? - and make a recommendation on what to buy?

Probably could've found this by going doing an Age of Wonders 2 search, but
nevermind :)

Wizards Throne is the original, Shadow Magic is the "expansion" pack, though
it plays more {and installs} like a seperate game. Either will do, though I
found the original to have a better story.

Ceo-

Age of Wonders was the original and it's a good game.

Age of Wonders 2: Wizard's Throne was the sequel and is also a good
game, with many more infrastructure choices and tighter, more
immediately critical tactical combat maps.

Age of Wonders 2: Shadow Magic was a stand-alone upgrade and added two
new races, tweaked a few units, and gave us randomly-generated maps for
replayability.

I'd recommend getting AOW2:SM. If you do, there's little point in
getting AOW2:WT. The original is also still a good game, especially for
older computers.

robin

I am the creator of Tyrande, a special map for Dominions II
So, I must not explain how much I like this game, I presume ?

But, I don't understand why you compare Shadow Magic, another game I like
very much, with Dominions II.

It's really not the same kind of gameplay nor the same flavor...

--

Robin le guetteur
http://forums.lavigie.org
Les joueurs ont trouvé leurs mondes !

On 18 Feb 2005 18:10:44 -0800, "fizzy" <ewoh27@aol.com> wrote:

>Age of Wonders was the original and it's a good game.
>
>Age of Wonders 2: Wizard's Throne was the sequel and is also a good
>game, with many more infrastructure choices and tighter, more
>immediately critical tactical combat maps.
>
>Age of Wonders 2: Shadow Magic was a stand-alone upgrade and added two
>new races, tweaked a few units, and gave us randomly-generated maps for
>replayability.
>
>I'd recommend getting AOW2:SM. If you do, there's little point in
>getting AOW2:WT. The original is also still a good game, especially for
>older computers.

Thanks you very much, fizzy. This is exactly the kind of comparison
that I was looking for. I'll go look for a copy of AOW2:SM, and maybe
also the original if I see it available cheap enough.

John

On 18 Feb 2005 05:54:54 -0800, "littlemute" <littlemute@woodenmen.org>
wrote:

>Shadow Magic has random maps. If that is important to you, it's the
>one to get. Also I felt that the new races in Shadow Magic weren't so
>horrilbly generic as the original ones. It's a good game, but
>Dominions 2 is better.

Thanks, littlemute. Based on the info that fizzy provided, I plan to
get Shadow Magic. Nice to know that it will have random maps. Do you
know if there is also an editor for making custom maps/scenarios?

John

John Smith wrote:

> Thanks, littlemute. Based on the info that fizzy provided, I plan to
> get Shadow Magic. Nice to know that it will have random maps. Do you
> know if there is also an editor for making custom maps/scenarios?
>
> John

All three games ship with an map/scenario editor as far as i remeber.
bye,
/Horst

Robin,

They are both in the fantasy strategy genre. If someone likes AoW,
they will probably like Dominions 2 as well. I think late in the game
is when Dominions really shines compared to the Civilization style
strategy games. Most of the late-game turns in AoW or HOMM are spent
moving your units to the front and watching the movement animations
that you've seen 1000 times before.

Tyrande is by far the most aesthetic map for Dom 2. Awesome job. I
think you should make more! What software did you use to make it?
You should not be posting on newsgroups, you should be making more DOM
maps!!

John Smith wrote:
> I've heard good things in various places about the game Age of
> Wonders, and decided to search for it on eBay. I got a bunch of hits
> for several different Age of Wonders games, and I'm not sure which
one
> to get. There was one just called Age of Wonders, and another called
> Age of Wonders 2: Wizard's Throne, and another called Age of Wonders
> Shadow Magic. Can anyone tell me how they are tied together -
sequels?
> expansion packs? - and make a recommendation on what to buy?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Get Ages of Wonders:Shadow Magic. You don't need the original. I
like Age of Wonders I too, but this one is my favorite. I haven't
played this ones campaign game and tend to only play using the random
map generator. It's my favorite of the fantasy strategy games...