Windows 7 required cd/dvd drive device driver is missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

patches_mcfluffy

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Hello,

I just got done with a new build.. brand new SSD harddrive and when my windows 7 is loading the setup I get stuck when i'm choosing the drive to partition. It gives me a few menu pop ups that begins with the "required cd/dvd drive device driver missing".. then it doesn't show any of my drives to format on.

My harddrive does appear in my bios.. any fixes? thanks!

Seirio

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
I had a similar problem loading Windows 7 on a new build from a boot image that worked flawlessly before on at least 3 pc's. Here are the issues and solutions found in my case:

FIRST - If using an install that requires a USB port, only use USB 2.0 connections since the drivers for 3.0 are not included on the Windows install disc. This got me past the first error message.

NEXT - I was using a new SSD drive that was recognized in the motherboard's Bios screen but not in Win7 as an available drive to install OS to. The solution I found to get the drive seen (and formatted):

[Credit to lsdmeasasp on the crucial.com forum:]

Note: "You will need to format the SSD and align the drive by following this guide using the Windows 7 install DVD, and then install Windows 7 on it. When you do this, on the disk selection screen do not delete or create any partitions, only select the already created single partition and click next."

Boot to CD, choose repair, then advanced, then command prompt:

Diskpart commands to align and create a partition

Diskpart >List Disk

(Here note the Disk # you want to align and create on based on size of drive, if only one drive then you are fine disk 0 will be the one you need)

Diskpart > Select Disk 0
(Or other disk number if need be)

Diskpart > List Partition
(Just to ensure you have the correct disk listed and no partitions are found)

Diskpart > Clean
(Removes any previous partition table information, and or MBR's)

Diskpart > Create Partition Primary Align=1024
(To create and align your partition)

Diskpart> Format Quick FS=NTFS
(To Quick format-NTFS)

(To check partition was created properly and aligned)

Diskpart > Active
(To set partition Active for OS Install)

Diskpart > Exit

Done!

Clean and simple for those who have only one disk connected and need no explanations

Diskpart > Select Disk 0
Diskpart > Clean
Diskpart > Create Partition Primary Align=1024
Diskpart > Format Quick FS=NTFS
Diskpart > Active
Diskpart > Exit

FINALLY - I had forgotten to set the SSD in Bios to AHCI mode before loading Windows (set as Native IDE by default), but also found a solution to fix this:

[Credit to Shadow703793]

To get AHCI to work, do this:
1. Open up regedit. (Windows Key + R > "regedit" ).

2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > Msahci.

2. In the right pane, right-click "Start" (look under the Name column) and then click Modify.

3. In the Value data box, type "0" (this is a zero, not a "O" ), and then click OK.

4. Restart PC, go into BIOS and set it to "AHCI".

5. Windows should start and install the Microsoft AHCI drivers.

Below applies ONLY to an Intel chipset based board
6. Reboot and then go online and download the latest chipset drivers for your chipset from the Intel website.

7. Install the drivers. Reboot once done.

8. Congrats! Now you have AHCI using the Intel drivers!

HOPE THIS HELPS AND SAVES SOMEONE ELSE A FEW HOURS/DAYS

casper1973

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Find the SATA drivers for your motherboard and put them on a USB stick. When you reach "A required cd/dvd device driver is missing" press ok and there is a Load Drivers button at the bottom left. Click this and point it to the SATA drivers. Should come up saying "Installing Drivers" for a few seconds then hopefully your drive is visible to format/install.

I spend hours on this one day. It wants SATA drivers so asks for CD/DVD drivers... Thanks Microsoft :pfff:

SuperAdithya

Reputable
May 24, 2014
Hi. I had the same problem while installing windows 8 from xboot usb device in which setup boots from an iso. But when I made a bootable usb drive by using windows 7 usb dvd download tool, it worked perfectly! The problem is when you boot from an iso.

Note-If Windows 7 usb dvd download tool doesn't work, then you can use other tools like Rufus(except iso booting tools).

mshaffer

Reputable
Jul 27, 2014

I found that my motherboard had USB 3.0 enabled which was throwing this ERROR, also on an SSD. Go into the BIOS, disable USB 3.0 support, restart, install, ... re-enable 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.