Warhammer 40k Game add on

I guess the Warhammer 40k RTS sold OK cuz they are releasing an add on.

Is the original release a worthwhile time waster?

Has anybody seen it for under 30.00 in Canada?

Cheers, Reddog

jay

"Reddogfive" <reddogfivenospam@hotmail.com> wrote in news:7vidnbSE_PHL_
4rfRVn-3Q@rogers.com:

> I guess the Warhammer 40k RTS sold OK cuz they are releasing an add on.
>
> Is the original release a worthwhile time waster?
>
> Has anybody seen it for under 30.00 in Canada?
>
> Cheers, Reddog

Great game, but I was more than just a little disappointed at there being
only 11 single player missions.
Also seems to follow in the tracks of quite a few other RTS games, where you
basically fend off brutal attacks until you can build the maximum force, then
go on a rampage.
Graphics are great though, if you have a VC to support them, and the gameplay
is unique.
I hope the expansion rectifies the shamefully short single player issue, as
I'm not into online gaming.

"Reddogfive" <reddogfivenospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I guess the Warhammer 40k RTS sold OK cuz they are releasing an add on.
>
> Is the original release a worthwhile time waster?
>
> Has anybody seen it for under 30.00 in Canada?

w00t!

Enough leet speak, yes the original was a worthy time waster :) The story is
great, and the graphics will blow your mind. You can watch those little
space marines blow up xenos scum and chaos heretics all day if so inclined!
:)

Ceo-

"Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet> wrote in message

> w00t!
>
> Enough leet speak, yes the original was a worthy time waster :) The story
> is great, and the graphics will blow your mind. You can watch those little
> space marines blow up xenos scum and chaos heretics all day if so
> inclined! :)
>
> Ceo-

Great! I am going to pick it up as soon as I can get it at a reasonable
price...

Cheers, Reddog

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 02:14:48 +0800, "Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet>
wrote:

>"Reddogfive" <reddogfivenospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I guess the Warhammer 40k RTS sold OK cuz they are releasing an add on.
>>
>> Is the original release a worthwhile time waster?
>>
>> Has anybody seen it for under 30.00 in Canada?
>
>w00t!
>
>Enough leet speak, yes the original was a worthy time waster :) The story is
>great, and the graphics will blow your mind. You can watch those little
>space marines blow up xenos scum and chaos heretics all day if so inclined!
>:)

The Empire is a little too evil for my taste, I hope they add the
Tau soon. :)

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Reddogfive wrote:
> I guess the Warhammer 40k RTS sold OK cuz they are releasing an add on.
>
> Is the original release a worthwhile time waster?
>
> Has anybody seen it for under 30.00 in Canada?
>
> Cheers, Reddog

must be "Lunch of War"....

"Johnny Bravo" <baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The Empire is a little too evil for my taste, I hope they add the
> Tau soon. :)

Ah so true isnt it! The propaganda machine of the Empire is the best ever, a
bullet to the brain if you dont like it! :) And the Tau, the Greater Good
they follow is just a pretense for dominating the galaxy! SSssscccccum ;)

heheheh, seriously though I agree, when I first started reading Warhammer
40k books {I dont table top} I was amazed at how dark and evil the good guys
seemed to be. Pure fanatics, the sort of people that we would not want to be
around in todays world!

After much investigation I discovered that the Emporer actually was a god,
and found out heaps of history about him on this fantastic website which I
cant remember now. Ultimately I think its one of the richest fantasy/sci fi
worlds created.

And the warp, the 4 gods of Chaos are created by humans and aliens to be
their own worst enemies. How cool is that?! :D

Ceo-

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 15:09:32 +0800, "Ceowulf" <ceo@NOSPAMii.ATALLnet>
wrote:

>And the warp, the 4 gods of Chaos are created by humans and aliens to be
>their own worst enemies. How cool is that?! :D

Why else would they spend a few centuries, or millenia, defending
one of their own worlds and when they win just sterilize the entire
surface, killing millions of their own people, just to make sure they
aren't tainted. It would be far easier just to sterlize it first,
taking out all the enemy with it, but without a war the Empire would
just collapse under it's own weight. :)

"Jay" <com@net.com> wrote in message

> Great game, but I was more than just a little disappointed at there being
> only 11 single player missions.
> Also seems to follow in the tracks of quite a few other RTS games, where
> you
> basically fend off brutal attacks until you can build the maximum force,
> then
> go on a rampage.
> Graphics are great though, if you have a VC to support them, and the
> gameplay
> is unique.
> I hope the expansion rectifies the shamefully short single player issue,
> as
> I'm not into online gaming.

After hearing about this expansion I checked it out at Relic's home page,
they say they are taking the single player campaign to a new deapth,
hopefully meaning they are actually going to give us a single player
experience to remember. I enjoy skirmish {not so much online play} but the
campaign is my main bread and butter.

Ceo-

jay

> "Jay" <com@net.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Great game, but I was more than just a little disappointed at there
>> being only 11 single player missions.
>> Also seems to follow in the tracks of quite a few other RTS games,
>> where you
>> basically fend off brutal attacks until you can build the maximum
>> force, then
>> go on a rampage.
>> Graphics are great though, if you have a VC to support them, and the
>> gameplay
>> is unique.
>> I hope the expansion rectifies the shamefully short single player
>> issue, as
>> I'm not into online gaming.
>
> After hearing about this expansion I checked it out at Relic's home
> page, they say they are taking the single player campaign to a new
> deapth, hopefully meaning they are actually going to give us a single
> player experience to remember. I enjoy skirmish {not so much online
> play} but the campaign is my main bread and butter.
>
> Ceo-

Well me I'm not into online play, for whatever reasons ... So if a game
has a weak single player, that kills it for me. I found the skirmish mode
entertaining, but way to easy the first half, then insanely hard the rest.
Of course, you can throw in variables like different numbers of
enemies/allies, but its hard to find a mix where your not either getting
completely slaughtered, or your not slaughtering the AI. I've always found
it a bit ludicrous with games where your scrambling to just build a base
and a few basic units, and the enemy comes at you with hoardes of advanced
units. There seemed to be a bit of that in W40K - But I'll be back for
more if they beef up the SP a bit more.

John Reidy wrote:
> Reddogfive wrote:
>
>> I guess the Warhammer 40k RTS sold OK cuz they are releasing an add on.
>>
>> Is the original release a worthwhile time waster?
>>
>> Has anybody seen it for under 30.00 in Canada?
>>
>> Cheers, Reddog
>>
> must be "Lunch of War"....

"The Long Dark Tea Time of War"

--
Leons Petrazickis
import java.lang.Disclaimer;

> Well me I'm not into online play, for whatever reasons ... So if a game
> has a weak single player, that kills it for me. I found the skirmish mode
> entertaining, but way to easy the first half, then insanely hard the rest.
> Of course, you can throw in variables like different numbers of
> enemies/allies, but its hard to find a mix where your not either getting
> completely slaughtered, or your not slaughtering the AI. I've always found
> it a bit ludicrous with games where your scrambling to just build a base
> and a few basic units, and the enemy comes at you with hoardes of advanced
> units. There seemed to be a bit of that in W40K - But I'll be back for
> more if they beef up the SP a bit more.

In skirmish maps I found the base building and race to first units an art.
Playing against a hard opponent its simply a matter of getting your
commander unit out as quickly as possible followed with a squad of whatever.
The AI does this extremely well, but its possible to match it unit for unit
{race dependant of course} if you hussle :)

Ceo-

"Reddogfive" <reddogfivenospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I guess the Warhammer 40k RTS sold OK cuz they are releasing an add on.
>
> Is the original release a worthwhile time waster?
>
> Has anybody seen it for under 30.00 in Canada?

This is one of the best RTS games ever

yes its worth it

"Reddogfive" <reddogfivenospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I guess the Warhammer 40k RTS sold OK cuz they are releasing an add on.

Apparently so. I know one of the guys on the Australian production team. THQ
are pleased. It was a hit by the publisher's sales # standard.

>original release a worthwhile time waster?

I've mixed feelings on it. Not a fan of the board game or Warhammer or Lord
of the Rings mythological nonsense, I had few expectations. I am however a
huge RTS fan, which in itself makes improving upon THE standard previously
set a hard, nay seemingly impossible task for anything since Total
Annihilation released nearly 8 years ago!

Think of Warhammer DoW as trying to be 'all things to all Boyz!'. This game
is of pure market research origina to appeal to the widest possible audience
as its target.

As a tactical and strategic RTS it falls way short of the mark in my view,
but it IS beautiful. Lots of eye candy, the camera control and 3D FPS
spectator view of the action with hands on command will really appeal to the
FPS brigade. Micromanagment and pathfinding is a nightmare compared to smart
games like TA. THQ have deliberately kept resource management stupidly
simple for the illogical dumbasses and limited attention span generation,
which has ruined it as a strategic or tactical game of any meaning or depth.

I was given my promo copy gratis (who you know) but I wouldn't buy it full
retail, though that's just because is not really my cup of tea.

Though there is an offical and commendably very well done in game tutorial,
the single campaign only is in reality a training and famil exercise for the
game's real intended audience, online multiplayer. Considerable effort has
gone into the cut scenes and storyline, which however will fall flat if
you've an IQ numerically equivalent of your shoe size or greater and have
evolved beyond not missing Power Rangers as your fav TV show. Patchwise it
has been well supported, and it has a decent fan base and ladder on its web
site. In many ways it has used TA as a developmental role model, but is
inarguably aimed at a stupider, or simpler and more juvenile if you willl,
audience.

Perhaps the most commendable aspect of this game is the magnificently
thematic musical score accompanying it. Whoever made the choice to give that
job to Jeremy Soule deserve a mega accolade. Of course, not since the
hauntingly beautiful and appropriatly thematic score accompanying TA have we
heard an in game composition of this calibre.

My summary. If the Warhammer epoch at all appeals, or you like simple
playing RTS like what C&C has become or Starcraft, are a drop dead gorgeous
eye candy or are an FPS fan not really into RTS, then give it a go.

The Winter Assault add-on will ensure this game's online life cycle extends
for at least another six months.