Airprime 5220 on SprintPCS?

Now that I have a couple reports of usable latency on CDMA2000
1xRTT/EV-DO, I want to give EV-DO a try. It looks like the
only good card (without funky drivers required) is the Airprime
5220.

The 5220 is only advertised with Verizon service as far as I've
seen. Anyone know if it can be had with SprintPCS? Another
option is to get an AirCard 550 and then upgrade to an EV-DO
card when the service is widely available.

I've had phones on SprintPCS for years so my tendancy is to
stay with them for my data needs. (However I'll probably be
dropping my voice lines if they cripple the Treo 650's
Bluetooth.) They generally have better voice coverage in
Indiana than Verizon does and I assume this indicates how the
data coverage will compare.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

--kyler

The 5220 is not offered by SprintPCS at all? The AirCard 550 is the only
option through Sprint. And the real question is if Verizon can meet
your needs with the 5220 or if Sprint can meet your needs with the 550.
I guess I would suggest trying the Aircard 550, afterall Sprint does
offer a 14 day return policy (in some divisions with some equipment 60
days).

--
itzup2me
http://cellphoneforums.net

"Kyler Laird" <Kyler@news.Lairds.org> wrote in message
> Now that I have a couple reports of usable latency on CDMA2000
> 1xRTT/EV-DO, I want to give EV-DO a try. It looks like the
> only good card (without funky drivers required) is the Airprime
> 5220.
>
> The 5220 is only advertised with Verizon service as far as I've
> seen. Anyone know if it can be had with SprintPCS? Another
> option is to get an AirCard 550 and then upgrade to an EV-DO
> card when the service is widely available.
>
> I've had phones on SprintPCS for years so my tendancy is to
> stay with them for my data needs. (However I'll probably be
> dropping my voice lines if they cripple the Treo 650's
> Bluetooth.) They generally have better voice coverage in
> Indiana than Verizon does and I assume this indicates how the
> data coverage will compare.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thank you.
>
> --kyler

SPCS was to bypass EV-DO and go directly to EV-DV. In June this past year,
they changed plans and said they would go into EV-DO.
http://cdg.org/news/latest_news.asp?hnYY=2004&hnMM=06#062204_ind_a.html

AFAIK, they haven't announced any EV-DO markets as of yet.

Bob