New Area Code and 1-Yr Contract

I moved recently and have had Sprint PCS for three years now.
I am eligible for a $150 rebate on new equipment.
I wanted to change my service to a local number in the same
state since although outbound long-distance calls are free it is
still a long-distance charge to call in. Sprint will not allow me to
do this unless I sign a new 1-year contract! I don't understand this
policy. I thought the purpose of a contract was to subsidize the
cost of new equipment. I don't need, nor want, new equipment,
I just want my number changed to a local number at my new
location. This seems like a totally stupid policy. Is there any
reason for this policy that I am missing?

If I can't get a local number without a contract then I think it's
time to change carriers even if I have to sign a 2-year contract
with someone else. It just pisses me off too much.

RT

Rocky Top wrote:

> If I can't get a local number without a contract then I think it's
> time to change carriers even if I have to sign a 2-year contract
> with someone else. It just pisses me off too much.

If you moved from one market area to another, for example from Ohio to
California - which I did last year - they have to do it as a cancellation of
the contract in the old and a new activation in the new market. That's what
they did for my wife's phone (I didn't have Sprint at the time). I actually was
billed a $36 activation fee for the new line and a $150 early termination fee
for the old one; of course, since I was only moving service, both of those fees
were credited right back on the same bill. I assume it had to be done as a
charge/credit to make sure the bookkeeping was correct on both accounts.

I had the same situation; the new activation in California brought with it a
new contract end date. What Sprint did for me, and what you should ask them to
do for you, is to put a "high-priority" note in the system telling the Customer
Service Reps and other staff members to honor your original contract end date.
If you cancel after that original end date, you should not be charged an ETF.
Worked for me - I didn't cancel but I did subsequently check over several
months with a number of different CSRs and they all gave me the original date
when I asked when their contract ended.

Getting a 2 year contract with someone else instead of a 1 yr.
contract with Sprint PCS does not make sense to me. Even if it did not
require buying a new handset.

Rocky Top wrote:
> I moved recently and have had Sprint PCS for three years now.
> I am eligible for a $150 rebate on new equipment.
> I wanted to change my service to a local number in the same
> state since although outbound long-distance calls are free it is
> still a long-distance charge to call in. Sprint will not allow me to
> do this unless I sign a new 1-year contract! I don't understand this
> policy. I thought the purpose of a contract was to subsidize the
> cost of new equipment. I don't need, nor want, new equipment,
> I just want my number changed to a local number at my new
> location. This seems like a totally stupid policy. Is there any
> reason for this policy that I am missing?
>
> If I can't get a local number without a contract then I think it's
> time to change carriers even if I have to sign a 2-year contract
> with someone else. It just pisses me off too much.
>
> RT

I would have to agree with Jerome about the issue. Signing up with
another carrier for 2 years doesn't make sense to me either. You could
cancel your contract, reconnect your services without getting the
$150.00 rebate and pay an additional $10.00 per month to avoid a
contract. But if you're happy with the service and they're willing to
give you $150.00 to boot it sounds like a win/win situation. Unless of
course you're leaving the country or something.

--
itzup2me
http://cellphoneforums.net