PalmOne Treo 650 data via wire?

Last response: in Network Providers
a b D Laptop
October 25, 2004 4:09:43 PM

While it's become well known that the Bluetooth functionality on the
Treo 650 is expected to be crippled on Sprint, can a wired approach
still be taken as was done with the Treo 600? Is there a cable and the
appropriate software to do laptop connectivity with a wire connected
between the Treo and a laptop?

Thanks,
Steve
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
October 25, 2004 7:26:07 PM

Steve W wrote:
> While it's become well known that the Bluetooth functionality on the
> Treo 650 is expected to be crippled on Sprint,

It has? Where? Links?

> can a wired approach
> still be taken as was done with the Treo 600? Is there a cable and the
> appropriate software to do laptop connectivity with a wire connected
> between the Treo and a laptop?

I imagine the same or similar connections could be made.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
a b D Laptop

Steve W wrote:
> While it's become well known that the Bluetooth functionality on the
> Treo 650 is expected to be crippled on Sprint,

I've done more research. Basically, PalmOne has said that the Tre650 IS
capable of supporting tethering. However, the carriers will have the
option to disable tethering. I can assume that the OP read the same
thing and automatically assumed that Sprint would be disabling this feature.

That said, I'm not too worried. Assuming Sprint DOES disable this
feature, Palms are still known for being very open and programmable, and
the insides of these devices have been studied and worked on by open
source developers for almost a decade. I'll be glad to bet my $599 that
a hack to re-enable tethering won't be far behind.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
a b D Laptop
October 30, 2004 2:05:25 AM