Sign in with
Your question

Best UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply)?

Last response: in Components
March 31, 2003 5:27:16 AM

Hello folks.

What UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) brands are the most reliable and the highest quality?

APS? Other?

Any brands to avoid?

What guidelines are best for one to use in determining the wattage needed for a UPS?

Thanks much!
DuckTape
March 31, 2003 6:34:52 AM

apc is the standard in quality. 500 vac is good enough for a computer and 17 inch monitor. for maybe 4 min

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!
March 31, 2003 6:43:06 AM

My system use 170Watts, 103Watts when monitor not running (17") according to the software you get with the back-ups. backup time 14 minutes, way more when monitor turned off.

My toy:
APC Back-UPS LS 500, 500VA/315W, Input 120V/ Output 120V, Interface Port USB
Automatic Voltage Regulation (AVR)
7 power outlets (4 battery+surge and 3 surge only)
fax/modem protection

just copy pasting my old answer to another guy :D 

p.s. backup time 14 minutes, way more when monitor turned off.

<b><font color=blue>Press 1 if you want to be on hold, 2 for disconnect, 3 for a representative who will put you on hold before disconnecting.</font color=blue></b>
Related resources
April 1, 2003 5:54:42 PM

well, I've got an APC 500ES UPS for my system, gives me 10 minutes of backup time and I can't complain one bit. My house has really, REALLY bad current spikes in the electricity, on top of the fact that my room drains a lot of power (there's the computer, dsl modem, 4-port switch, television, vcr, speaker-set, lava-lamp, guitar and amp, and a reptile aquarium with 2 100W heat lamps, and a 60W heat pad which take a lot of energy) and basically, when I turn on my tv the lights dim so getting a UPS in here was essential to my system not shutting down a half a dozen times a day... It's been on for about 4 months now and running perfectly - I even show off to my friend who didn't know i had gotten it, hehehhe, i was like "dude, look" and i unplugged the power cord and he was lookin at my screen and lookin at the plug and totally stumped, hehehehe

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>
April 2, 2003 6:13:15 AM

ohh man that's so funny! gotta try it with somebody :D 

<b><font color=blue>Press 1 if you want to be on hold, 2 for disconnect, 3 for a representative who will put you on hold before disconnecting.</font color=blue></b>
April 2, 2003 12:45:39 PM

<A HREF="http://www.apc.com/template/size/apc/index.cfm?temp_cou..." target="_new">Here</A> is a site that will help you determine what size UPS you need. 500VA should be fine, but if you can afford it, go for 700VA. If you go for APC, I'd recommend the Back-UPS LS as opposed to the Back-UPS ES as the LS has "AVR-Boost", which resolves less drastic occurrances of undervoltage without cutting out to battery power, or if you feel like spending extra, go for the Back-UPS Pro, whick also has "AVR-Trim" which does the same thing for overvoltage that "AVR-Boost" does for undervoltage, as well as having a few extras.
April 3, 2003 12:20:43 AM

I have the APC 500VA unit and have had excellent service from it. Its saved my bacon on many occasions.

<b>Damn War! I'm too young to watch other people die!</b>
<A HREF="http://members.iinet.net.au/~lhgpoobaa/images" target="_new">My Images!</A>
April 18, 2003 5:35:32 AM

I'm looking at the 725ES with broadband protection, for the price/capacity ratio, not for the broadband protection. I'm actually thinking I won't hook my cable up to it because it doesn't seem necessary, and I already have a bunch of splitters on the line that I need, what's the point of mucking up my cable any more. Foolish?

<font color=red> Committed to excellence, willing to make do with high average, able to get by on mediocrity in a pinch. </font color=red>
April 18, 2003 6:37:26 AM

well, i know that i would have liked a UPS with a longer battery life, but for the price i had paid for mine it was practically a steal (it was cheaper than any of my distributors were even able to purchase it for from APC directly), though it was through the Quebec version of Office Depot. If the 725 version is well priced, then I think its worth it, I mean my UPS has a phoneline conditioner on it too and I don't use it - i mean, first off it doesn't let the data line go through for my DSL, but also I wouldn't use it anyways, I mean unless you live smack in the middle of buttfuck nowhere the chances of telephone line surges is next to nothing with a reliable service provider and reliable, maintained lines.

<b>When someone sells you a computer with an ECS mobo, they're ripping you off - when someone sells you a system with no case fan, they're just an idiot</b>
April 19, 2003 5:57:50 AM

Just in case you do purchase an APC, they have a recall in effect for some of the BackUps CS series. I had boughten two of these, the CS 500 and the CS 350. THey send you a new one and you send back yours, no hassles at all.
August 13, 2009 6:24:47 PM

Just want to let all know what a piece of garbage the ULTRA brand UPS are.
I was rightly skeptical about the price.

The first one was DOA,
the second one quit after experiencing a series of power outages.

Because I forgot to register the second one on line within 30 days the 3 year warranty is not in effect. It is 22 months old.

The comment was that if it failed after some power outages then it did its job and protected my equipment. Sorry, no exceptions even if it does leave a crappy taste in your mouth.

I have had an APC that has experienced those power failures and a lot more and it is still ticking after 4 years.

DO NOT BUY ULTRA!!!!!!!!!! If you really want to I can sell you this one and you won't have to wait for it to fail.

August 13, 2009 8:02:29 PM

<gets in before the thread necro gets locked>

Usually, if you want to impart information it's considered best to start your own thread, rather than digging up someone else's SIX year old one.
September 3, 2010 6:44:22 AM

I have been running Eaton one in my room on my computer for the last 18months or so and never had any issue with it still now. It has a long history of success and is also produced in Raleigh, NC.
January 1, 2011 7:36:31 PM

nelsonnebraska said:
I have been running Eaton one in my room on my computer for the last 18months or so and never had any issue with it still now. It has a long history of success and is also produced in Raleigh, NC.

Look on the bottom. I'll bet it is made in China.
January 3, 2011 10:10:36 PM

APC.

Not only they make good UPS, but they hv a unique feature which I hv not come across with any other UPS. They can hibernate your PC if it UPS is running on Battery for long.

This is specifally useful when I hv started some download or scanning and I am not home. My area do face some power cuts once in 6 months, and lots of spikes too due to which my AMD was fried as earlier I was using some not a very good UPS, so this UPS has really helped me a lot.

!