HELP w/ Multi-track recording on Logic using ADAT

Last response: in Home Audio
March 1, 2005 7:16:17 PM

Hi, all, total NOOB here. I'm trying to figure out how to record 8
channels of 48k audio simultaneously from DA-88 tapes.

I've got a Tascam DA-98 deck hooked up to an Alesis ADAT A14.

The Alesis is plugged into RME Hammerfall Digi 9652 soundcard on ADAT
1&2. On the back of the Alesis, it says ADAT 1 carries Ch 1-4, and ADAT
2 carries Ch 5-8, although I thought that an ADAT line could carry 8
tracks (or more?).

In the Hammerfall settings app, it shows both ADAT 1 & 2 with sync.

On Logic, I can only get four channels of audio to record, using either
ADAT 1, 2, or both plugged in. I desperately need help on this, anyone
have any info to offer?

Thanks in advance, - J
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 10:11:19 AM

justinrhyme wrote:
> Hi, all, total NOOB here. I'm trying to figure out how to record 8
> channels of 48k audio simultaneously from DA-88 tapes.
>
> I've got a Tascam DA-98 deck hooked up to an Alesis ADAT A14.
>
> The Alesis is plugged into RME Hammerfall Digi 9652 soundcard on ADAT
> 1&2. On the back of the Alesis, it says ADAT 1 carries Ch 1-4, and
ADAT
> 2 carries Ch 5-8, although I thought that an ADAT line could carry 8
> tracks (or more?).
>
> In the Hammerfall settings app, it shows both ADAT 1 & 2 with sync.
>
> On Logic, I can only get four channels of audio to record, using
either
> ADAT 1, 2, or both plugged in. I desperately need help on this,
anyone
> have any info to offer?
>
> Thanks in advance, - J

What the hell is an A14?

Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 1:03:15 PM

It's an AES/EBU Converter box:

http://www.dv247.com/invt/24875

transmogrifa wrote:
> justinrhyme wrote:
> > Hi, all, total NOOB here. I'm trying to figure out how to record 8
> > channels of 48k audio simultaneously from DA-88 tapes.
> >
> > I've got a Tascam DA-98 deck hooked up to an Alesis ADAT A14.
> >
> > The Alesis is plugged into RME Hammerfall Digi 9652 soundcard on
ADAT
> > 1&2. On the back of the Alesis, it says ADAT 1 carries Ch 1-4, and
> ADAT
> > 2 carries Ch 5-8, although I thought that an ADAT line could carry
8
> > tracks (or more?).
> >
> > In the Hammerfall settings app, it shows both ADAT 1 & 2 with sync.
> >
> > On Logic, I can only get four channels of audio to record, using
> either
> > ADAT 1, 2, or both plugged in. I desperately need help on this,
> anyone
> > have any info to offer?
> >
> > Thanks in advance, - J
>

> What the hell is an A14?
>
> Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 7:06:38 PM

justinrhyme wrote:
> It's an AES/EBU Converter box:
>
> http://www.dv247.com/invt/24875
>

> transmogrifa wrote:
> > justinrhyme wrote:
> > > Hi, all, total NOOB here. I'm trying to figure out how to record
8
> > > channels of 48k audio simultaneously from DA-88 tapes.
> > >
> > > I've got a Tascam DA-98 deck hooked up to an Alesis ADAT A14.
> > >
> > > The Alesis is plugged into RME Hammerfall Digi 9652 soundcard on
> ADAT
> > > 1&2. On the back of the Alesis, it says ADAT 1 carries Ch 1-4,
and
> > ADAT
> > > 2 carries Ch 5-8, although I thought that an ADAT line could
carry
> 8
> > > tracks (or more?).
> > >
> > > In the Hammerfall settings app, it shows both ADAT 1 & 2 with
sync.

> > > On Logic, I can only get four channels of audio to record, using
> > either
> > > ADAT 1, 2, or both plugged in. I desperately need help on this,
> > anyone
> > > have any info to offer?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance, - J
> >

> > What the hell is an A14?
> >
> > Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com

Well Smux caries four channels per alesis fiber optic cable at 96khz.
That might be what that is refering to but I am not that familiar with
the AES/EBU spec. I believe AES/EBU is capable of 96k itself. It may
very well be carrying all 8 at 48 khz. But I don't think AES carries
any clock signal where as spdif does so I think you have to have word
clock connections between an AES/EBU device and something else.

Why don't you open the software and make a test transmission and see
how man channels you are getting over one adat in.

Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com
!