Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Using Windows 7 for a minecraft server?

Last response: in Windows 7
June 19, 2012 6:16:29 AM

My friends and i are planning to build a PC that will serve as our minecraft server; small SSD, lot's of RAM, etc, and we were just going to use windows 7 home premium 64 bit on it like a normal computer.

However, my dad who works in computer neworking/consulting said that windows 7 only allows 10 people to be accessing it at one time, which means we can't have more than 10 people playing on the server at a time. I don't think this is true because they would be connecting to the executable not to windows itself.

Will this Windows 7 restriction affect the minecraft server executable? We want roughly 20 people playing on it. If so, should we just use Windows Home Server or something like that?

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
June 19, 2012 6:27:25 AM

This is not true

Your father is correct that some native Windows services do place a limit on the amount of simultaneous connections that can be active at one time (to prevent companies from using cheap Windows licences rather than the more expensive Windows Server licences) but this has no impact on the number of simultaneous users that can be connected to a non-native service such as a minecraft server
June 19, 2012 6:31:25 AM

Pinhedd said:
This is not true

Your father is correct that some native Windows services do place a limit on the amount of simultaneous connections that can be active at one time (to prevent companies from using cheap Windows licences rather than the more expensive Windows Server licences) but this has no impact on the number of simultaneous users that can be connected to a non-native service such as a minecraft server

ok thanks, i figured since the minecraft server has nothing to do with windows. thank you
m
l
June 19, 2012 6:31:26 AM

Best answer selected by paradoxeternal.
m
l
!