First Look: VIA OpenBook Mini-Notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

humalong

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
hmm, yea it looks like the Asus EEE PC, which has been out for a long time. I suppose if you want to buy a version that doesnt work as well and has components that will likely fail after only 6 months, than go with VIA. though i admit, the VIA clone is a little better looking...

xxchocotacoxx

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
[citation][nom]humalong[/nom]hmm, yea it looks like the Asus EEE PC, which has been out for a long time. I suppose if you want to buy a version that doesnt work as well and has components that will likely fail after only 6 months, than go with VIA. though i admit, the VIA clone is a little better looking... [/citation]
Yeah, it looks like an EEE PC, but with a larger screen (than initial models), larger HD, larger keyboard, larger casing, larger assortment of connectivity options, higher clock speed, possibly longer battery life, addition of separated left and right mouse buttons, and altered port locations.

But besides all that, it looks like an EEE.

What I do not get with these tiny Mobile computers is they use less energy but then the twits put smaller batteries in too.

How about just slighty larger or thicker laptop with a full size battery. Then it can still be smaller and lighter than traditional laptops with an 8+ hour battery life.

This is what really keeps me away from these tiny laptops why would I want a small screen cramped keyboard and crappy battery life. One of the points to these is to be free of wires.

Heck just give us nuclear batteries than we can have 10-20 years of charge and never need to plug in. We'll just put terrorists on the honor system. :eek:

humalong

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
true it has superior specs. but your point about everything being bigger is kind of odd, considering that its marketed as mini.

if you want everything larger, buy a normal laptop?

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]spongebob[/nom]MoreThenOneParagraphperpagePlease?[/citation]

They divide pages by topic, not length, this allows the article to be more organized and less clutters. On this site, a page can be 10,000 words long or just 50 words long

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]What I do not get with these tiny Mobile computers is they use less energy but then the twits put smaller batteries in too.How about just slighty larger or thicker laptop with a full size battery. Then it can still be smaller and lighter than traditional laptops with an 8+ hour battery life.This is what really keeps me away from these tiny laptops why would I want a small screen cramped keyboard and crappy battery life. One of the points to these is to be free of wires.Heck just give us nuclear batteries than we can have 10-20 years of charge and never need to plug in. We'll just put terrorists on the honor system. [/citation]
yep it is annoying when they do that.

when ever they make a smaller chip they feel the need to make the device a mini

use 50% less power so they decide to use a 50% smaller battery

when they do this then all you are getting out if it is a smaller device that has less functionality. keep a full sized laptop with the lower power usage components

i wouldn't mind that hardware in a full sized laptop, the performance is still good for any normal use and it is like i will be working with MAYA 3d or adobe after effects or doing real time croma keying with a HD cam

how about a cpu like that with a built in speed controller, where you can set the speed to 600MHz or less to save even more power. don't need 1.6GHz to use ms word or watch a video (most videocards have hardware acceleration for video (for me HD video uses only around 5% cpu usage )

G

Does a book make noise? Get your metaphors right. This is a unicycle or, more likely, a bicycle.

spiralsun1

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
I want a mini laptop so bad, but the battery life is the #1 key drawback. Under 6 hours is just plain unacceptable. 8 hours would be ideal. I want to charge overnight and use the laptop all day. At the very least offer a big battery as an option! It is crazy that no one is doing this!

xxchocotacoxx

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
[citation][nom]humalong[/nom]true it has superior specs. but your point about everything being bigger is kind of odd, considering that its marketed as mini.if you want everything larger, buy a normal laptop?[/citation]
It still is mini, compared to other laptops... The only reason I pointed those specs out is that you compared it to an EEE. I wouldn't have done so. The EEE is built to be as tiny as possible but still functional. This one gives up small form factor for extra functionality.

[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]What I do not get with these tiny Mobile computers is they use less energy but then the twits put smaller batteries in too.

How about just slighty larger or thicker laptop with a full size battery. Then it can still be smaller and lighter than traditional laptops with an 8+ hour battery life.[/citation]
Agree. Keep the same sized battery (or maybe just a wee bit smaller to fit the computer) but keep the same power in it. It's silly to scale down everything including possible duration of use.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
ASUS did put a SSD drive in the EEE for a reason. I wouldn't buy a mini PC with conventional drive to watch it wrecked after a single drop to the ground. It just needs to be rugged and HDD kills the idea.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Todays notebook with yesterdays technology...., such a low voltage processor and still only 3hrs of usability? When will notebook designers of all sizes learn that if you have case lid of xy size you don't put a tiny lcd in the middle with big ass plastic frames around it. That immediately says cheap, sloppy design to me.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]Todays notebook with yesterdays technology...., such a low voltage processor and still only 3hrs of usability? When will notebook designers of all sizes learn that if you have case lid of xy size you don't put a tiny lcd in the middle with big ass plastic frames around it. That immediately says cheap, sloppy design to me.[/citation]

lol the oversized borders reminds me of those toy laptops that people give to 2 year old kids

the idea of the laptop was good but they just went wrong in so many ways when making it

G

on a previous page it says 10/100 ethernet, but in this specs sheet it says 10/100/1000 ethernet. it's an important difference. so which is it?

hawler

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2007
Overall though it's about the same size. You want the shell to be as small as possible but the features be as large3 as possible.

The EEE PC wastes an ungodly amount of room that could be used for the screen by putting those strips of plastic that house the speakers down either side for example.

I think that's what he was getting at with the larger thing

G

Nice, almost want one but yeah - screen border and battery life suck, and is it me or do Intels Atom and Via own Nano processors make this thing obselete already?

G

I have a "Green"/eco friendly VIA 1 GHz C3 mini ITX computer and it works great only uses 20 watts, except it is about as fast as an old 600 MHz Athlon. I hope this C7 is better, although I looked up some benches and it doesn't impress.

diegueteee

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
how about a cpu like that with a built in speed controller, where you can set the speed to 600MHz or less to save even more power. don't need 1.6GHz to use ms word or watch a video (most videocards have hardware acceleration for video (for me HD video uses only around 5% cpu usage-9

AMD Cool'n'Quiet

tadiwa09

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
hi, members..................
hard disk drive[2] (often shortened as hard disk,[3] hard drive,[4] or HDD) is a non-volatile storage device that stores digitally encoded data on rapidly rotating platters with magnetic surfaces. Strictly speaking, "drive" refers to the motorized mechanical aspect that is distinct from its medium, such as a tape drive and its tape, or a floppy disk drive and its floppy disk. Early HDDs had removable media; however, an HDD today is typically a sealed unit (except for a filtered vent hole to equalize air pressure) with fixed media

--------------------------
by regards
tadiwa09
for more detail check this

tadiwa09

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
hi members..............

hard disk drive[2] (often shortened as hard disk,[3] hard drive,[4] or HDD) is a non-volatile storage device that stores digitally encoded data on rapidly rotating platters with magnetic surfaces. Strictly speaking, "drive" refers to the motorized mechanical aspect that is distinct from its medium, such as a tape drive and its tape, or a floppy disk drive and its floppy disk. Early HDDs had removable media; however, an HDD today is typically a sealed unit (except for a filtered vent hole to equalize air pressure) with fixed media

----------------------------------------------------------------
By regards
todiwa09
for more detail check this

Status
Not open for further replies.