Best career to pursue? Computer Eng. or science?

mushroomking

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I am 20 and have considerably more computer knowledge than the average person(not saying much :p ). I've recently become infatuated with technology and would love to pursue a career in it, also because it seems like an excellent place to build a career and make fairly decent money.

But my question is computer science? or computer engineering?

Would double majoring in the two be total chaos?I do wish to learn rather than just pass the exam and receive the diploma.

I've never programmed in my life nor do I have any background besides what I have learned building my PC and playing around with the CLI in linux. I'm trying my best to locate some sort of internship but there doesn't seem to be much of anything catering to someone who has little to no experience. Since when is a passion to learn not enough?

Tyrotoxicity

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Computer science is based around programming where as computer engineering is more hardware. If you like technology, I would say try to dabble in a bit of programming and see how you like it. There are tons of tutorials on the internet. I'd say start off with something simple like Python or VB (although VB is a dead language).

Try looking into computer technology as a path. It doesn't have as much technicality as either computer science or engineering (programming, circuitry, data structures etc.) and focuses more on practical application of it.

Honestly, just try googling it. You'll get a better answer then what I can spew out here.

gabrieljaquish

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
i know this thread is a month or so old however i thought i would give some input from my experience.

The above post is correct, I'm currently a Jr. Computer And Systems Engineering (CSE) at R.P.I. in NY.

the basic coursework is a basic knowledge in programming and more so focused on the electrical side of things such as Electric Circuits, Intro To Electronics, and digital design classes like Computer Components and Operations.
You do, as a CSE however, have to take Comp Sci I, Data Structures, and Algorithms or have equivalent transfer credit.

You do however get to choose a concentration such as hardware, networking, software etc...

computer science, at least at my school involves much more programming, with classes like Operating Systems, Programming Languages, Computer Organization, & Models of Computation.

I know that of the 56 or so kids in my major and year i would say 20-30% of them are dual majors with CSE and computer science.

ipes32

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013

Hey i really want to actually want to go to that program could you explain to me the process that you take since i don't really understand how RPI works.