Win 7 upgrade to 8 OR Fresh install

bryan240g

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
I have windows 7 pro 64 bit OEM installed on my new ASUS G75 laptop which originally came with win 8 64 bit. I purchased an OEM copy of win 7 pro 64 bit from Amazon and I am currently running it.
Now you know what I am currently and WERE running. I have the product activation key which Belarc- Advisor got for me for my win 8 64 bit OEM copy before removing it for win 7.
My question is, can I download a .iso OR the Windows 8 upgrade and install Windows 8(using my legit OEM product activation key on a separate partition and dual boot it?????

Just for the record. I am by NO means looking to upgrade my daily OS to win 8. I am looking to install and play with win 8 to get use to it to help co-workers find stuff and fix issues.

General intelligent opinions welcome. Thanks.

System Specs:

Asus G75 ROG Laptop 17.3"
Intel 510 SSD 120gb
Seagate Momentus 500gb
12 DDR3 1800mhz
GTX 660

Solution
Hello Bryan240g,

You can do fresh installation of Windows 8 pro 64 bit by Bootable Windows 8 Pro installation DVD or you can upgrade your Windows 7 computer to Windows 8 through Windows Update. You can also download an .ISO file of Windows 8 Pro from official website of Microsoft. Once downloaded, burn it into a DVD and start the fresh installation. Follow the below given link for further information:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1655126/upgrading-windows-windows.html

As you also asked if you could dual boot Windows 7 computer? Well the answer is Yes. To do so, follow the instruction given below.

1. Start the Windows 7 computer on which Windows 8 is to be set up in a dual mode environment.
2. Enter into the BIOS setup and...
Hello Bryan240g,

You can do fresh installation of Windows 8 pro 64 bit by Bootable Windows 8 Pro installation DVD or you can upgrade your Windows 7 computer to Windows 8 through Windows Update. You can also download an .ISO file of Windows 8 Pro from official website of Microsoft. Once downloaded, burn it into a DVD and start the fresh installation. Follow the below given link for further information:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1655126/upgrading-windows-windows.html

As you also asked if you could dual boot Windows 7 computer? Well the answer is Yes. To do so, follow the instruction given below.

1. Start the Windows 7 computer on which Windows 8 is to be set up in a dual mode environment.
2. Enter into the BIOS setup and configure the system to boot from CD/DVD.
3. Save the modified settings in BIOS and reboot the computer.
4. Insert Microsoft Windows 8 bootable installation DVD into the optical media drive (CD/DVD Drive).
5. When prompted to Press any key to boot from CD or DVD, press any key to boot the computer from DVD support.
6. On the Install Windows box, click Next.
7. On the next box, click Install now.
8. On the License terms page, check I accept the license terms checkbox, and click Next.
9. On Which type of installation do you want page, click Custom: Install Windows only (advanced) option.
10. On Where do you want to install Windows page, click to select the partition on which Windows 8 is to be installed. (Partition 3 in this demonstration)
Note: Users must select the different hard disk partition other than 1 (System Reserved Partition) and 2 (Windows 7 partition), to install Windows 8.
11. Once selected, click Next to start the Windows 8 installation in dual boot environment.

Hope this is helpful.

Solution