Axis and allies: what's the final word

First, I have to say that I'm in love with Kohan and its elegant
system
I wondered how axis and allies was in terms of AI, playability and
overall fun.
Anybody who played it could share his experience ?

"S. Delerme" <delerme@free.fr> wrote in message
> First, I have to say that I'm in love with Kohan and its elegant
> system
> I wondered how axis and allies was in terms of AI, playability and
> overall fun.
> Anybody who played it could share his experience ?

At the strategic level, the AI is bad. It's OK at the RTS level.

"James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message

> "S. Delerme" <delerme@free.fr> wrote in message
>> First, I have to say that I'm in love with Kohan and its elegant
>> system
>> I wondered how axis and allies was in terms of AI, playability and
>> overall fun.
>> Anybody who played it could share his experience ?
>
> At the strategic level, the AI is bad. It's OK at the RTS level.

I would further point out that the latest edition strips out air and naval
ops at the strategic level.

> "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "S. Delerme" <delerme@free.fr> wrote in message
>>> First, I have to say that I'm in love with Kohan and its elegant
>>> system
>>> I wondered how axis and allies was in terms of AI, playability and
>>> overall fun.
>>> Anybody who played it could share his experience ?
>>
>> At the strategic level, the AI is bad. It's OK at the RTS level.
>>
> I would further point out that the latest edition strips out air and naval
> ops at the strategic level.

I have played demo only so I have one question:

What micromanagement Axis and Allies game have on strategic level and what
on RTS level?

"Keyser Soze" <info@info.com> wrote in message

> "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "S. Delerme" <delerme@free.fr> wrote in message
>>>
>>> At the strategic level, the AI is bad. It's OK at the RTS level.
>>>
>> I would further point out that the latest edition strips out air and
>> naval ops at the strategic level.
>>

> I have played demo only so I have one question:
>
> What micromanagement Axis and Allies game have on strategic level and what
> on RTS level?

No micromanagement on strat level. On RTS, you create divisional and
brigade buildings with points from taking over cities. Supply dumps extend
supply.

> "Keyser Soze" <info@info.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message

>>> I would further point out that the latest edition strips out air and
>>> naval ops at the strategic level.
>>>

>> I have played demo only so I have one question:
>>
>> What micromanagement Axis and Allies game have on strategic level and
>> what on RTS level?
>>
> No micromanagement on strat level. On RTS, you create divisional and
> brigade buildings with points from taking over cities. Supply dumps
> extend supply.

Well, I don't know if that is good or bad but to my humble opinion they
should have putted everything on strategic level and on RTS level they
should have had only units and tactical combat. Something similar like Total
War series have.

> "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Keyser Soze" <info@info.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "James Cobb" <bismarck71@charter.net> wrote in message

>>> I have played demo only so I have one question:
>>>
>>> What micromanagement Axis and Allies game have on strategic level and
>>> what on RTS level?
>>>
>> No micromanagement on strat level. On RTS, you create divisional and
>> brigade buildings with points from taking over cities. Supply dumps
>> extend supply.
>
> Well, I don't know if that is good or bad but to my humble opinion they
> should have putted everything on strategic level and on RTS level they
> should have had only units and tactical combat. Something similar like
> Total War series have.

You're right. What they did was use the Axis and Allies title as wrapper
for a fairly good RTS operational-level game. Sheer marketing voo-doo.