Tape Ins/Outs use on mixer?

Last response: in Home Audio
March 2, 2005 4:31:48 AM

Hi,
Im trying to set up my behringer Eurorack UB802 to record audio into
Cubase SX.
I know that i can use the FX send on the desk to allow me to control
the signal being sent to my soundcard so that the whole mix is not
recorded from the mixer. I have an audiophile 2496 card and the
connections on the back are phono. I have noticed these tape in/out
phono connections on the mixer which gets me thinking that maybe i
should be using those. What are purpose of tape ins/outs?(please
answer in watered down, plain English for the simple minded). And can
I use it as an alternative to using the send to control the signal for
input into Cubase?

cheers

Dave

More about : tape ins outs mixer

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 6:56:01 AM

Mr ever confused wrote:
> Hi,
> Im trying to set up my behringer Eurorack UB802 to record audio into
> Cubase SX.
> I know that i can use the FX send on the desk to allow me to control
> the signal being sent to my soundcard so that the whole mix is not
> recorded from the mixer. I have an audiophile 2496 card and the
> connections on the back are phono. I have noticed these tape in/out
> phono connections on the mixer which gets me thinking that maybe i
> should be using those. What are purpose of tape ins/outs?(please
> answer in watered down, plain English for the simple minded). And can
> I use it as an alternative to using the send to control the signal
for
> input into Cubase?
>
> cheers
>
> Dave

On the 802 the phono tape out connectors are simply wired
in parallel with the main 1/4" outputs and are controlled
by the same master level 'fader'. In other words they are
functionally the same as the main outputs - only a different
type of connector and either could be used depending on
what type of cabling you have.
I believe the send is mono , so using the mains/tape
outs would get you a stereo feed to your soundcard
rather than the mono from the 'send'.
The tape in is just a return to the mixer for what ever
you want to use it for like a cd, tape player OR your
soundcard output. The tape-to-control-room and tape-to-
mix switches determine where the signal goes.

rd
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 12:29:38 PM

In article <24da70e8.0503020131.24ef23a6@posting.google.com> sevenheadedhorse@hotmail.com writes:

> Im trying to set up my behringer Eurorack UB802 to record audio into
> Cubase SX.
> I know that i can use the FX send on the desk to allow me to control
> the signal being sent to my soundcard so that the whole mix is not
> recorded from the mixer.

> I have noticed these tape in/out
> phono connections on the mixer which gets me thinking that maybe i
> should be using those. What are purpose of tape ins/outs?

The tape outs are the same as the main outputs, just on a different
connector and at a lower level. If you don't want to record the whole
mix, you don't want to use those.

The tape inputs just go to the monitor (headphone/control room)
section of the mixer. Whatever goes in there can be switched to your
monitor by pressing a "tape" button. If you connect the stereo outputs
of your sound card to those inputs, you can listen to your recording
without having to disconnect mics or turn them down. This is actually
the preferred place to connect your sound card's stereo output, most
of the time anyway.

March 2, 2005 2:48:23 PM

Mr ever confused ha scritto:
> Hi,
> Im trying to set up my behringer Eurorack UB802 to record audio into
> Cubase SX.
> I know that i can use the FX send on the desk to allow me to control
> the signal being sent to my soundcard so that the whole mix is not
> recorded from the mixer. I have an audiophile 2496 card and the
> connections on the back are phono. I have noticed these tape in/out
> phono connections on the mixer which gets me thinking that maybe i
> should be using those. What are purpose of tape ins/outs?(please
> answer in watered down, plain English for the simple minded). And can
> I use it as an alternative to using the send to control the signal for
> input into Cubase?
>
> cheers
>
> Dave
Tape-in accept the signal played back by some source (recorder,
soundcard, cd player...) and allow you to hear it.
Tape-out send some signal to the recorder so you can record it.

If tape out is located on every channel inputs of your mixer, the signal
sent is often taken after (post) the channel fader (but sometime it can
be "pre" or switched)
if tape-out is in the "master" section of the mixer, (this is your case,
i think) it outputs the main mix to tape (sometimes pre and sometimes
post the master control faders)

bye
March 10, 2010 3:45:15 AM

eurorack ub802:

stereo aux return sends on line in 3/4:

to tape in aux return (tape to control is depress button)

tape to mix send loop from ctrl to MAIN mix ; mAIN OUT IS LOOPED TO line in

far left input vista home is far right line in ; speaker local ; far left is send Main mix to:

regards

Buena Vistasisosa''
March 10, 2010 3:51:55 AM

easisest turn around is :

rca ohono plugs adapt to guitar jack adapt to stereo mini plug:

line in 3/4 are still available to main mix as a regular input for musician:

fx send is line in 5/6 to control room out

phantom depress indicates pan on mix:

there ya go

have a good day
regards: