  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in Network Providers
a b Ô Samsung
November 4, 2004 12:37:16 AM

I just purchased a Samsung VI660 from a Sprint store to replace my lost A500
phone.

Although a SpintPCS representative told me that the VI600 has good sound
quality, the quality is by far the worst I have heard on the Sprint system.
(I have also owned Motorola Startacs and an earlier Samsung model.) There
is a distinct hiss in the background during any call -- something that has
never happened to me with the Sprint PCS system before -- and voices during
calls are simultaneously harsh and tinny. (The sound quality is so bad that
I am ready to purchase a used A500 and dump the VI660.)

Is the VI6000 overall a turkey, or did I purchase (and should seek to
return) a poor quality example?

Thanks for any thoughts that you have.

More about : poor sound quality vi660

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
November 4, 2004 12:37:17 AM

You are correct the Vi660 has bad earpiece sound quality compared to
some. In fact there was a mass produced bad batch of them where the
earpiece had either a hissing or crackling noise. The ones that Costco
got were among the worst shipment. They even went as far as changing
the hardware version (very unusual) and the software version to correct
these problems but I don't think it helped that much.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
November 4, 2004 12:37:17 AM

Kurt Hunciker wrote:
> I just purchased a Samsung VI660 from a Sprint store to replace my lost A500
> phone.
>
> Although a SpintPCS representative told me that the VI600 has good sound
> quality, the quality is by far the worst I have heard on the Sprint system.

The VI-600 isn't the same phone. It's a candybar-style phone. The 660 is a flip.

My 660 is just fine in strong signal areas. It tends to not be wonderful
holding onto weak signals. My wife's Hitachi P-300 does better (and sounds a
little better overall, but the P-300 is discontinued and doesn't have the
awesome voice dial features my 660 does, and voice dial is why I got the 660.

> (I have also owned Motorola Startacs and an earlier Samsung model.) There
> is a distinct hiss in the background during any call -- something that has
> never happened to me with the Sprint PCS system before -- and voices during
> calls are simultaneously harsh and tinny. (The sound quality is so bad that
> I am ready to purchase a used A500 and dump the VI660.)
>
> Is the VI6000 overall a turkey, or did I purchase (and should seek to
> return) a poor quality example?

Well, which do you have? The 600 or the 660? My 660 could probably do better on
sound quality. It's a good phone overall, though.

a b Ô Samsung
November 4, 2004 12:37:18 AM

larryt510@hotmail.com wrote:
> You are correct the Vi660 has bad earpiece sound quality compared to
> some. In fact there was a mass produced bad batch of them where the
> earpiece had either a hissing or crackling noise. The ones that Costco
> got were among the worst shipment. They even went as far as changing
> the hardware version (very unusual) and the software version to correct
> these problems but I don't think it helped that much.

Any luck getting Sprint to swap them out? They're still selling the 660, it's
still the second-cheapest phone after discounts ($30, but I think the Nokia
3588 is still free). So they should have a lot of them in stock...

a b Ô Samsung
November 4, 2004 8:14:30 AM

"Kurt Hunciker" <khunciker@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> I just purchased a Samsung VI660 from a Sprint store to replace my lost
A500
> phone.
>
> Although a SpintPCS representative told me that the VI600 has good sound
> quality, the quality is by far the worst I have heard on the Sprint
system.
> (I have also owned Motorola Startacs and an earlier Samsung model.)
There
> is a distinct hiss in the background during any call -- something that has
> never happened to me with the Sprint PCS system before -- and voices
during
> calls are simultaneously harsh and tinny. (The sound quality is so bad
that
> I am ready to purchase a used A500 and dump the VI660.)
>
> Is the VI6000 overall a turkey, or did I purchase (and should seek to
> return) a poor quality example?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts that you have.

Yes, give it back and get yourself a Sanyo ... Any current Sanyo model will
do.

Bob
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
November 4, 2004 9:19:39 PM

Thanks for the prompt feedback.

The phone is a VI660 flip phone. I will return it tomorrow.

!