Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

RL-4920 Ringtones - seek a STANDARD ring

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
Anonymous
November 4, 2004 8:17:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

All:

I just got a new Sprint phone - the Sanyo RL-4920. I am warming up to the
phone, but the ringtones with it are TERRIBLE. Where can I get a standard,
cellphone ringtone? I don't want music. I just want a standard,
non-obtrusive ring. Why is this so hard to find? Please help.
Anonymous
November 5, 2004 9:32:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

JDB <jbhatia@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I just got a new Sprint phone - the Sanyo RL-4920. I am warming up to
> the phone, but the ringtones with it are TERRIBLE. Where can I get a
> standard, cellphone ringtone? I don't want music. I just want a
> standard, non-obtrusive ring. Why is this so hard to find? Please
> help.

It's the single *worst* thing about the phone, and there's almost
*nothing* bad about the RL4920! But don't worry. This also happened when
the A460 -- another intensely popular phone -- came out. Within 6 months
or so (maybe when the sales peaked?) one of the software updates gave
three "standard" ring tones to the lineup.


Kevin M.
"Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 4:07:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

How can I see which software version I have and if there are any available
updates?

"Kevin M." <youwish@imaspammer.org> wrote in message
news:haMid.106315$hj.14078@fed1read07...
> JDB <jbhatia@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I just got a new Sprint phone - the Sanyo RL-4920. I am warming up to
> > the phone, but the ringtones with it are TERRIBLE. Where can I get a
> > standard, cellphone ringtone? I don't want music. I just want a
> > standard, non-obtrusive ring. Why is this so hard to find? Please
> > help.
>
> It's the single *worst* thing about the phone, and there's almost
> *nothing* bad about the RL4920! But don't worry. This also happened when
> the A460 -- another intensely popular phone -- came out. Within 6 months
> or so (maybe when the sales peaked?) one of the software updates gave
> three "standard" ring tones to the lineup.
>
>
> Kevin M.
> "Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
> you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
> "Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 3:27:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"JDB" <jbhatia@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:BWEjd.98740$tU4.25923@okepread06...
> How can I see which software version I have and if there are any available
> updates?

Scroll through your phone's menu. You should see "Phone Info" towards the
bottom. Click on that, then on Versions.

Go to
http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules.php?name=Content&p... and
see whether you have the current updates.

Bob
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 3:27:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

Bob Smith <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
> "JDB" <jbhatia@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> How can I see which software version I have and if there are any
>> available updates?
>
> Scroll through your phone's menu. You should see "Phone Info" towards
> the bottom. Click on that, then on Versions.
>
> Go to
> http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules.php?name=Content&p...
> and see whether you have the current updates.

Be careful of the accuracy of that list. For example, it says the RL4920
is on v1.011, which is incorrect. The current RL4920's software is still
on the original version, v1.001SP.

p.s. *2 Cust Svc says that there are no plans for any kind of addition of
standard ring tones to the RL4920 via a software update, but the rep told
me that the phone is so new that she wouldn't be suprised if something
like that happens soon.

> Bob

Kevin M.
"Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 6:40:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Kevin M." <youwish@imaspammer.org> wrote in message
news:QTLjd.121757$hj.37434@fed1read07...
> Bob Smith <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > "JDB" <jbhatia@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> How can I see which software version I have and if there are any
> >> available updates?
> >
> > Scroll through your phone's menu. You should see "Phone Info" towards
> > the bottom. Click on that, then on Versions.
> >
> > Go to
> > http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules.php?name=Content&p...
> > and see whether you have the current updates.
>
> Be careful of the accuracy of that list. For example, it says the RL4920
> is on v1.011, which is incorrect. The current RL4920's software is still
> on the original version, v1.001SP.
>
> p.s. *2 Cust Svc says that there are no plans for any kind of addition of
> standard ring tones to the RL4920 via a software update, but the rep told
> me that the phone is so new that she wouldn't be suprised if something
> like that happens soon.

Hmmm, that site has been very reliable in the past. Per
http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/index.php , the home page for that site, it
even has a news article reflecting the change in the firmware for the 4920
as of 10-28-04. Scroll down about half way down for the info.

How recent is your information Kevin?

Bob
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 8:47:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

---- Original Message ----
From: "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net>
Newsgroups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs
Sent: Monday, November 08, 2004 07:40
Subject: Re: RL-4920 Ringtones - seek a STANDARD ring

> "Kevin M." wrote:
>> Bob Smith wrote:
>> > "JDB" wrote:
>> >> How can I see which software version I have
>> >> and if there are any available updates?
>> >
>> > Scroll through your phone's menu. You should see "Phone Info"
>> > towards the bottom. Click on that, then on Versions.
>> >
>> > Go to
>> >
http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules.php?name=Content&p...
>> > and see whether you have the current updates.
>>
>> Be careful of the accuracy of that list. For example, it says the
>> RL4920 is on v1.011, which is incorrect. The current RL4920's
>> software is still on the original version, v1.001SP.
>>
>> p.s. *2 Cust Svc says that there are no plans for any kind of
>> addition of standard ring tones to the RL4920 via a software update,
>> but the rep told me that the phone is so new that she wouldn't be
>> suprised if something like that happens soon.
>
> Hmmm, that site has been very reliable in the past. Per
> http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/index.php , the home page for that site,
> it even has a news article reflecting the change in the firmware for
> the 4920 as of 10-28-04. Scroll down about half way down for the info.
>
> How recent is your information Kevin?

Went to two different Sprint Stores a couple of weeks ago when that site
claimed that the RL4920's software had been updated to v1.006. They
didn't know what I was talking about; they said the RL4920 is "so new"
that it hasn't had a software update yet.

Saturday I called *2 and asked them. Rep said the same thing. Called
back Sunday to verify. Almost word for word, same thing. Three times,
same thing. I gotta assume the site is wrong, now don't I? :) 

> Bob

Kevin M.
"Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 5:40:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

"Kevin M." <youwish@imaspammer.org> wrote in message
news:uZokd.126561$hj.28964@fed1read07...
> ---- Original Message ----
> From: "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net>
> Newsgroups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs
> Sent: Monday, November 08, 2004 07:40
> Subject: Re: RL-4920 Ringtones - seek a STANDARD ring
>
> > "Kevin M." wrote:
> >> Bob Smith wrote:
> >> > "JDB" wrote:
> >> >> How can I see which software version I have
> >> >> and if there are any available updates?
> >> >
> >> > Scroll through your phone's menu. You should see "Phone Info"
> >> > towards the bottom. Click on that, then on Versions.
> >> >
> >> > Go to
> >> >
> http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules.php?name=Content&p...
> >> > and see whether you have the current updates.
> >>
> >> Be careful of the accuracy of that list. For example, it says the
> >> RL4920 is on v1.011, which is incorrect. The current RL4920's
> >> software is still on the original version, v1.001SP.
> >>
> >> p.s. *2 Cust Svc says that there are no plans for any kind of
> >> addition of standard ring tones to the RL4920 via a software update,
> >> but the rep told me that the phone is so new that she wouldn't be
> >> suprised if something like that happens soon.
> >
> > Hmmm, that site has been very reliable in the past. Per
> > http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/index.php , the home page for that site,
> > it even has a news article reflecting the change in the firmware for
> > the 4920 as of 10-28-04. Scroll down about half way down for the info.
> >
> > How recent is your information Kevin?
>
> Went to two different Sprint Stores a couple of weeks ago when that site
> claimed that the RL4920's software had been updated to v1.006. They
> didn't know what I was talking about; they said the RL4920 is "so new"
> that it hasn't had a software update yet.
>
> Saturday I called *2 and asked them. Rep said the same thing. Called
> back Sunday to verify. Almost word for word, same thing. Three times,
> same thing. I gotta assume the site is wrong, now don't I? :) 
>
> > Bob

With all those steps you've taken, I might think so too. In saying that,
SPCS stores don't always get the news of updates, nor the actually updated
firmware for some time ... I've seen it in the past with prior phones I've
had.

Bob
Anonymous
November 13, 2004 4:55:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 17:17:38 -0600, "JDB" <jbhatia@yahoo.com> wrote:

>All:
>
>I just got a new Sprint phone - the Sanyo RL-4920. I am warming up to the
>phone, but the ringtones with it are TERRIBLE. Where can I get a standard,
>cellphone ringtone? I don't want music. I just want a standard,
>non-obtrusive ring. Why is this so hard to find? Please help.
>

I got one of these phones yesterday (upgraded from the 4900) and the
ringtones was the first thing that I found really annoying but not the
only thing. In my case I also re-upped my contract (for the rebate
on the phone) and that gave me 2 months free web access. So I was
able to download a basic ringtone that I can live with.
Unfortunately I cant' seem to set that ringtone to ring for a
non-caller ID number as well so I'm stuck with the lousy ringtones
there and on top of that, I can't set the volumes of caller ID and
non-caller ID rings seperately and the lousy ringtone is much louder
than the one I downloaded. So when a certain friend calls it sounds
terrible in high volume! Dumb, dumb, dumb.
Then the really bright screen light stays on when the charger is
plugged in. I usually keep the phone on the table next to the bed
but this thing lights up the whole room...why would they want the
light to stay on?
The speaker seems to be worse than the 4900 as someone has posted
earlier and the other sound options (like missed message alert) are
ridiculously annoying and I don't think can be changed.

If I'm missing something on configuring this phone I'd like to hear
about it. As it is, if I can't resolve some of these issues, the
phone goes back and I'll try to find another Sprint compatable phone
with good reception.

A llittle bit on a rant here,
John
Anonymous
November 13, 2004 9:35:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 13:55:44 -0500, John/Charleston
<DELETEjohns0123@comcast.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 17:17:38 -0600, "JDB" <jbhatia@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>All:
>>
>>I just got a new Sprint phone - the Sanyo RL-4920. I am warming up to the
>>phone, but the ringtones with it are TERRIBLE. Where can I get a standard,
>>cellphone ringtone? I don't want music. I just want a standard,
>>non-obtrusive ring. Why is this so hard to find? Please help.
>>
>
>I got one of these phones yesterday (upgraded from the 4900) and the
>ringtones was the first thing that I found really annoying but not the
>only thing. In my case I also re-upped my contract (for the rebate
>on the phone) and that gave me 2 months free web access. So I was
>able to download a basic ringtone that I can live with.
>Unfortunately I cant' seem to set that ringtone to ring for a
>non-caller ID number as well so I'm stuck with the lousy ringtones
>there and on top of that, I can't set the volumes of caller ID and
>non-caller ID rings seperately and the lousy ringtone is much louder
>than the one I downloaded. So when a certain friend calls it sounds
>terrible in high volume! Dumb, dumb, dumb.
>Then the really bright screen light stays on when the charger is
>plugged in. I usually keep the phone on the table next to the bed
>but this thing lights up the whole room...why would they want the
>light to stay on?
>The speaker seems to be worse than the 4900 as someone has posted
>earlier and the other sound options (like missed message alert) are
>ridiculously annoying and I don't think can be changed.
>
>If I'm missing something on configuring this phone I'd like to hear
>about it. As it is, if I can't resolve some of these issues, the
>phone goes back and I'll try to find another Sprint compatable phone
>with good reception.
>
>A llittle bit on a rant here,
>John

Follow up...A call to Sprint helped me see what I was missing with
the ring tones...I now have the tones and volumes adjusted to my
satisfaction and I feel a little dumb, dumb, dumb for not figuring it
out myself.
OTOH, I learned that the display stays lit whenever it's charging like
it or not, and the record voice function can't be used during a phone
call which of course is when it would be most useful. Why they
would remove that function from the 4900 to the 4920 is beyond me.

Oh well, hope this info is useful to someone,
John
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 8:33:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

John/Charleston <DELETEjohns0123@comcast.net> wrote:
> Then the really bright screen light stays on when the charger is
> plugged in. I usually keep the phone on the table next to the bed
> but this thing lights up the whole room...why would they want the
> light to stay on?

As I stated several months ago, if you're going to charge the phone at
night and keep it in your bedroom, set the phone with the screen pointing
*downward*. This will reduce the light by 99%, as well as keep the
speaker pointed upwards to make sure the ringer wakes you up.

Personally, I'd suggest charging it while you're at home but before you go
to bed. This way, you don't have a light issue when you're sleeping. But
everyone's definition of logic is a bit different, I know. ;) 

> A llittle bit on a rant here,
> John

Kevin M.
"Know your enemy, and know yourself; in one-thousand battles
you shall never be in peril." -- Sun Tzu, *The Art of War*
"Contentment... Complacency... Catastrophe!" -- Joseph Chevalier
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 2:26:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 05:33:27 -0800, "Kevin M."
<youwish@imaspammer.org> wrote:

>John/Charleston <DELETEjohns0123@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Then the really bright screen light stays on when the charger is
>> plugged in. I usually keep the phone on the table next to the bed
>> but this thing lights up the whole room...why would they want the
>> light to stay on?
>
>As I stated several months ago, if you're going to charge the phone at
>night and keep it in your bedroom, set the phone with the screen pointing
>*downward*. This will reduce the light by 99%, as well as keep the
>speaker pointed upwards to make sure the ringer wakes you up.

Yeah, but I like it DARK when I'm sleeping...
>
>Personally, I'd suggest charging it while you're at home but before you go
>to bed. This way, you don't have a light issue when you're sleeping. But
>everyone's definition of logic is a bit different, I know. ;) 

This involves thinking ahead (not my forte) and also plugging the
phone in while I'm still awake. I now use this as my only phone so
I don't want it plugged in in a different room while I'm home awake.

Having gotten the ring tone issues straightened out I think I'll be
keeping the phone and I'll figure out how to deal with the night
light.
I also discovered that while I can't use the recorder while making a
call, there is a "screen call" function that does allow me to record
up to 18 secs of a call at a time. This would be enough to capture a
phone number (but not directions for instance) while driving and
unable to write it down but as far as I can tell, the function can
only be accessed by going thru a few menu options and button presses.
Not helpful while driving.
I wonder if they could "fix" the lack of recorder-during-call option
with a future software upgrade. It would be really nice to have
that with a single button push (like the 4900 did).

I guess nothings ever perfect. Overall I'm beginning to like the
phone more. Still have to test it's reception abilities but the
salesgirl assured me it would beat my old 4900.
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 11:16:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

John/Charleston <DELETEjohns0123@comcast.net> wrote in
news:ut0fp05ml1o0kpv0ag34t6fvhckjl65d3n@4ax.com:

> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 05:33:27 -0800, "Kevin M."
> <youwish@imaspammer.org> wrote:
>
>>John/Charleston <DELETEjohns0123@comcast.net> wrote:
>>> Then the really bright screen light stays on when the charger is
>>> plugged in. I usually keep the phone on the table next to the bed
>>> but this thing lights up the whole room...why would they want the
>>> light to stay on?
>>
>>As I stated several months ago, if you're going to charge the phone at
>>night and keep it in your bedroom, set the phone with the screen
>>pointing *downward*. This will reduce the light by 99%, as well as
>>keep the speaker pointed upwards to make sure the ringer wakes you up.
>
> Yeah, but I like it DARK when I'm sleeping...
>>
>>Personally, I'd suggest charging it while you're at home but before
>>you go to bed. This way, you don't have a light issue when you're
>>sleeping. But everyone's definition of logic is a bit different, I
>>know. ;) 
>
> This involves thinking ahead (not my forte) and also plugging the
> phone in while I'm still awake. I now use this as my only phone so
> I don't want it plugged in in a different room while I'm home awake.
>
> Having gotten the ring tone issues straightened out I think I'll be
> keeping the phone and I'll figure out how to deal with the night
> light.
> I also discovered that while I can't use the recorder while making a
> call, there is a "screen call" function that does allow me to record
> up to 18 secs of a call at a time. This would be enough to capture a
> phone number (but not directions for instance) while driving and
> unable to write it down but as far as I can tell, the function can
> only be accessed by going thru a few menu options and button presses.
> Not helpful while driving.
> I wonder if they could "fix" the lack of recorder-during-call option
> with a future software upgrade. It would be really nice to have
> that with a single button push (like the 4900 did).
>
> I guess nothings ever perfect. Overall I'm beginning to like the
> phone more. Still have to test it's reception abilities but the
> salesgirl assured me it would beat my old 4900.
>

I don't know why you can't record when in a call, I can.
Just my two cents.
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 1:50:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs (More info?)

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 20:16:33 -0600, Dan Freehill
<dfreehill10@sprintpcs.com> wrote:

>John/Charleston <DELETEjohns0123@comcast.net> wrote in
>news:ut0fp05ml1o0kpv0ag34t6fvhckjl65d3n@4ax.com:
>
>> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 05:33:27 -0800, "Kevin M."
>> <youwish@imaspammer.org> wrote:
>>
>>>John/Charleston <DELETEjohns0123@comcast.net> wrote:
>>>> Then the really bright screen light stays on when the charger is
>>>> plugged in. I usually keep the phone on the table next to the bed
>>>> but this thing lights up the whole room...why would they want the
>>>> light to stay on?
>>>
>>>As I stated several months ago, if you're going to charge the phone at
>>>night and keep it in your bedroom, set the phone with the screen
>>>pointing *downward*. This will reduce the light by 99%, as well as
>>>keep the speaker pointed upwards to make sure the ringer wakes you up.
>>
>> Yeah, but I like it DARK when I'm sleeping...
>>>
>>>Personally, I'd suggest charging it while you're at home but before
>>>you go to bed. This way, you don't have a light issue when you're
>>>sleeping. But everyone's definition of logic is a bit different, I
>>>know. ;) 
>>
>> This involves thinking ahead (not my forte) and also plugging the
>> phone in while I'm still awake. I now use this as my only phone so
>> I don't want it plugged in in a different room while I'm home awake.
>>
>> Having gotten the ring tone issues straightened out I think I'll be
>> keeping the phone and I'll figure out how to deal with the night
>> light.
>> I also discovered that while I can't use the recorder while making a
>> call, there is a "screen call" function that does allow me to record
>> up to 18 secs of a call at a time. This would be enough to capture a
>> phone number (but not directions for instance) while driving and
>> unable to write it down but as far as I can tell, the function can
>> only be accessed by going thru a few menu options and button presses.
>> Not helpful while driving.
>> I wonder if they could "fix" the lack of recorder-during-call option
>> with a future software upgrade. It would be really nice to have
>> that with a single button push (like the 4900 did).
>>
>> I guess nothings ever perfect. Overall I'm beginning to like the
>> phone more. Still have to test it's reception abilities but the
>> salesgirl assured me it would beat my old 4900.
>>
>
>I don't know why you can't record when in a call, I can.
>Just my two cents.

The only way I can find to record during a call is to scroll thru the
menu thru several button pushes until I get to a possible 18 sec
record option. How do you record during a call?
!