Incoming calls going directly to voice mail

Last response: in Network Providers
November 6, 2004 2:19:57 AM

I have used a Sanyo SCP-4900 for over a year without any problems. For about
3 months, my incoming calls are intermittently going directly to voice mail.
The location of the phone does not seem to matter. I talked to Sprint
technical folks twice who suggested that I exit voice mail gracefully (**)
and turn off the phone for at least one minute several times a day. This all
sounds unacceptable to me as a service level. Has anyone had this problem,
or can shed a light as to why it is happening? I am considering leaving
Sprint.

Paying $40 for voice mail Sprint services,

JN
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 2:19:58 AM

Exiting voicemail by pressing ** and turning off the power several
times a day will not make any difference. That's just a phony stock
solution they give out. Calls going to VM is a CDMA technology and
network flaw that will always be around. Not much can be done about
it. On rare occasions this can however be caused by bad provisioning
with your account or a phone that is not programmed correctly. A call
to tech support and asking for an "account reload" might be worth a
shot but it is a long shot that it will help any.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 2:19:58 AM

This particular problem has nothing to do with capacity in most cases.
That's just a myth. CDMA uses a different type of slot cycle than
GSM/TDMA. CDMA is simply more prone to incoming call failure.
November 6, 2004 2:19:58 AM

This particular problem has nothing to do with capacity in most cases.
That's just a myth. CDMA uses a different type of slot cycle than
GSM/TDMA. CDMA is simply more prone to incoming call failure.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 3:11:50 AM

"J Naini" <Naini@ATT.net> wrote in

> I have used a Sanyo SCP-4900 for over a year without any problems.
> For about 3 months, my incoming calls are intermittently going
> directly to voice mail.
> Has anyone had this problem, or can shed a
> light as to why it is happening? I am considering leaving Sprint.

Yes, it's quite simple. Demand exceeds capacity. Sprint keeps selling
new service even though they don't have the capacity to handle it all. I
had Sprint for many years, could not beat their sound quality but around
a year ago, I started seeing the same problem as you, calls going
directly to voicemail without the phone ringing and it got progressively
worse. I changed phones, same problem. I finally gave up and switched to
Nextel.
November 6, 2004 10:34:39 AM

Yep! Its happening to me as well lately.

jt

"J Naini" <Naini@ATT.net> wrote in message
> I have used a Sanyo SCP-4900 for over a year without any problems. For
about
> 3 months, my incoming calls are intermittently going directly to voice
mail.
> The location of the phone does not seem to matter. I talked to Sprint
> technical folks twice who suggested that I exit voice mail gracefully (**)
> and turn off the phone for at least one minute several times a day. This
all
> sounds unacceptable to me as a service level. Has anyone had this problem,
> or can shed a light as to why it is happening? I am considering leaving
> Sprint.
>
> Paying $40 for voice mail Sprint services,
>
> JN

Anonymous
November 6, 2004 12:30:42 PM

larryt510@hotmail.com wrote in news:1099718007.690246.89570
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> This particular problem has nothing to do with capacity in most cases.
> That's just a myth. CDMA uses a different type of slot cycle than
> GSM/TDMA. CDMA is simply more prone to incoming call failure.

I don't believe that at all. I used Sprint for years, it was never as
bad as it was the last 6 months I used it. I would estimate that 3 out
of 5 calls were going straight to voice mail without it ringing. If CDMA
is "simply more prone to incoming call failure" then it would've been
constantly happening all the years I used it.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 12:30:43 PM

Neon Knight wrote:

> larryt510@hotmail.com wrote in news:1099718007.690246.89570
> @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:
>
>> This particular problem has nothing to do with capacity in most cases.
>> That's just a myth. CDMA uses a different type of slot cycle than
>> GSM/TDMA. CDMA is simply more prone to incoming call failure.
>
> I don't believe that at all. I used Sprint for years, it was never as
> bad as it was the last 6 months I used it. I would estimate that 3 out
> of 5 calls were going straight to voice mail without it ringing. If CDMA
> is "simply more prone to incoming call failure" then it would've been
> constantly happening all the years I used it.

I experience the same thing. I have been with Sprint for about 6 years
and this problem comes and goes.
Personally, I do think it is related to the lack of network facilities.
Of course, sometimes it might just be the fact that I am in a weak
signal area, but this would be rare.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 1:43:06 PM

I have no experience using Verizon so I can't speak about that. It's
not necessarily purely a CDMA flaw but it is a network flaw. I get the
calls going to VM issue myself but I have tracked it's cause to signal
pilot pollution. Basically if you live right in between a number of
different cell sites (with no dominant pilot) your phone will bounce
around between them constantly looking for the best signal. When an
incoming call comes in there are too many towers (PN Offsets) trying to
figure out which one of them is going to deliver the call to your
phone. By the time they figure it out it's too late because the call
has gone to VM. This is one common cause of this problem. There are
others as well. I was explained this by someone who works in the
Sprint RF dept here in Irvine, CA and have no reason not to believe it.
I will never believe that capacity plays a role in this (at least in
my area) because it can happen at 2AM or 7AM when nobody is using the
network. One out of every 4 calls I make to my phone from a landline
at here my house will not ring. This happens very consistently at any
time of day or night and we have never had any capacity overload issues
here even at peak times. Sure capacity can play a role in this in some
areas and times of day but let's not go and blame it purely on that
when there are other unrelated caused.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 1:45:35 PM

Yes you are correct. The sleep cycle timing being off is a big cause
for this problem. But I disgaree about the battery thing. Removing
the battery and power cycling the phone shouldn't have any effect to
resolve this issue. If it does it's likely a coincidence.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 3:17:22 PM

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 09:30:42 +0000, Neon Knight wrote:

> larryt510@hotmail.com wrote in news:1099718007.690246.89570
> @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:
>
>> This particular problem has nothing to do with capacity in most cases.
>> That's just a myth. CDMA uses a different type of slot cycle than
>> GSM/TDMA. CDMA is simply more prone to incoming call failure.
>
> I don't believe that at all. I used Sprint for years, it was never as
> bad as it was the last 6 months I used it. I would estimate that 3 out
> of 5 calls were going straight to voice mail without it ringing. If CDMA
> is "simply more prone to incoming call failure" then it would've been
> constantly happening all the years I used it.

How can you say it is a capacity issue when you left before the problem
you were experienced was resolved? I have had this issue before and it was
fixed shortly after. It was not a capacity issue since it would happen
across different cell sites 50-100miles apart in low populated areas. The
main problem is that the phones sleep cycles vary and if the phone is in a
long sleep cycle and misses the first page then it can cause the network
to act like the phone has been turned off. This is all set by the tower
when the phone connects and usually a power off/battery removal will help.
Tho the voice-mail "*" thing is probly a crock since calls don't head
there unless the phone is busy or is unavailable. Anyway sometimes it is a
tower issue and other times it is how the phone is setup. If the network
was overloaded you would not be able to make any calls and simple get the
network busy tones.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 3:32:21 PM

Yes unfortunatley it is a common problem with Sprint. But I just
wanted to stress that there are a number of reasons for it besides
capacity.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 3:34:05 PM

But even if so that would just be temporary and wouldn't last very
long. Eventually it will go back to the way it was. The type of phone
can also play a role in this as well.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 3:36:42 PM

Sprint techs will always say it's congestion. They don't want to admit
the slot cycle timing and pilot pollution glitches.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 5:51:30 PM

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 10:45:35 -0800, larryt510 wrote:

> Yes you are correct. The sleep cycle timing being off is a big cause
> for this problem. But I disgaree about the battery thing. Removing
> the battery and power cycling the phone shouldn't have any effect to
> resolve this issue. If it does it's likely a coincidence.

Well thats all it is, a coincidence, it is to have the phone
re-connect and notify the cell which may give it a different slot
allotment.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 7:51:54 PM

I've heard other people say the same thing about phones not ringing on
Verizon here in CA. Verizon is not perfect either and they are
afftected by this as well.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 7:53:54 PM

larryt510@hotmail.com wrote:
> I've heard other people say the same thing about phones not ringing on
> Verizon here in CA. Verizon is not perfect either and they are
> afftected by this as well.

And quite frankly, it hasn't happened frequently with either Sprint or Verizon,
not for me anyhow... but it has occasionally happened.

I'm wondering if it's not a signal strength issue, though. Particularly with
Verizon, whose coverage at my house is almost unusable.

November 6, 2004 8:39:56 PM

Central <spam2@central.2y.net> wrote in
news:p an.2004.11.06.17.17.21.485386@central.2y.net:

> How can you say it is a capacity issue when you left before the
> problem you were experienced was resolved?

I gave it 6 months but it got worse. It had happened sporadically
before that and I called in trouble tickets and got it escalated and
when I talked to a few techs that seemed to be knowledegable, they
both told me it was a capacity issue.

> I have had this issue
> before and it was fixed shortly after. It was not a capacity issue
> since it would happen across different cell sites 50-100miles apart
> in low populated areas.

How do you know it didn't?

> Tho the
> voice-mail "*" thing is probly a crock since calls don't head there
> unless the phone is busy or is unavailable.

Bullshit. I've had my phone sitting in front of me with 5 antenna
bars. (Yes, I know that they aren't completely reliable but it's
usually good enough.) My sister calls my landline and asks if I had my
cellphone off, she tried calling several times but it went straight to
voicemail. So I tested it myself. I called my cell phone 4 times, the
first 3 went straight to voicemail, the 4th time it actually rang.
That was the last straw. The next day I went and changed over to
Nextel.

> If the
> network was overloaded you would not be able to make any calls and
> simple get the network busy tones.

That has also happened. It was a combination of "network busy" and
calls going straight to voicemail.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 8:39:57 PM

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 17:39:56 +0000, Neon Knight wrote:

> Central <spam2@central.2y.net> wrote in
> news:p an.2004.11.06.17.17.21.485386@central.2y.net:
>
>> How can you say it is a capacity issue when you left before the
>> problem you were experienced was resolved?
>
> I gave it 6 months but it got worse. It had happened sporadically
> before that and I called in trouble tickets and got it escalated and
> when I talked to a few techs that seemed to be knowledegable, they
> both told me it was a capacity issue.
>
>> I have had this issue
>> before and it was fixed shortly after. It was not a capacity issue
>> since it would happen across different cell sites 50-100miles apart
>> in low populated areas.
>
> How do you know it didn't?

Because I could still make calls even tho I could sit there and watch it
not ring as I called it.

>> Tho the
>> voice-mail "*" thing is probly a crock since calls don't head there
>> unless the phone is busy or is unavailable.
>
> Bullshit. I've had my phone sitting in front of me with 5 antenna bars.
> (Yes, I know that they aren't completely reliable but it's usually good
> enough.) My sister calls my landline and asks if I had my cellphone off,
> she tried calling several times but it went straight to voicemail. So I
> tested it myself. I called my cell phone 4 times, the first 3 went
> straight to voicemail, the 4th time it actually rang. That was the last
> straw. The next day I went and changed over to Nextel.

Again if you noticed I said it had to do with the sleep cycle of the
phone. What that means is the phone shuts off its radio and wakes up at
set intervals to see if anyone is calling it. If the phone doesn't respond
to a page in time it will act as if the phone is unavailable which is why
it goes to voice mail.

>> If the
>> network was overloaded you would not be able to make any calls and
>> simple get the network busy tones.
>
> That has also happened. It was a combination of "network busy" and calls
> going straight to voicemail.
If you were getting alot of network busy outgoing errors then you have a
valid complaint. It has been my experience tho when cellular networks are
congested they simply drop the call and don't bother with voicemail. Your
callers/and yourself would get network error msgs. This all depends on
where the congestion is tho.

I noticed you said spoke with sprintpcs techs who said it was congestion.
Did they tell you what they were doing about it? Sadly all they can do is
install more equipment at that point which they should do as a provider
but that takes time. Since sprintpcs was horrible in your area you had
good reasons to switch but alot of people have had better experience. What
you/top poster describe is a common CDMA issue and I wouldn't jump to
congestion just because it is a sprintpcs service since all providers
oversell their network. After all if you roll out a national coverage of
cell sites you expect to make a return first before you think about
upgrades.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 8:41:47 PM

<larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Exiting voicemail by pressing ** and turning off the power several
> times a day will not make any difference. That's just a phony stock
> solution they give out. Calls going to VM is a CDMA technology and
> network flaw that will always be around. Not much can be done about
> it. On rare occasions this can however be caused by bad provisioning
> with your account or a phone that is not programmed correctly. A call
> to tech support and asking for an "account reload" might be worth a
> shot but it is a long shot that it will help any.

If it's a CDMA flaw Larry...explain why we don't have this same problem with
Verizon(in California).
Verizon is also CDMA.I agree with the system overload theory, the phone does
indeed answer the site on the control channel, but the site doesn't have the
channel(slot) to assign to the handset, so it times out and reroutes to the
voicemail provider(in California it's Alcatel).

Anonymous
November 6, 2004 8:41:48 PM

Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik wrote:
> <larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Exiting voicemail by pressing ** and turning off the power several
>>times a day will not make any difference. That's just a phony stock
>>solution they give out. Calls going to VM is a CDMA technology and
>>network flaw that will always be around. Not much can be done about
>>it. On rare occasions this can however be caused by bad provisioning
>>with your account or a phone that is not programmed correctly. A call
>>to tech support and asking for an "account reload" might be worth a
>>shot but it is a long shot that it will help any.
>

> If it's a CDMA flaw Larry...explain why we don't have this same problem with
> Verizon(in California).

I've had it happen to me on Verizon, in California.

November 6, 2004 9:45:24 PM

Believe it or not I have had a better sucess rate of receiving incoming
calls when I have a weak signal. When the signal is moderate to strong
it happens more often.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 10:15:05 PM

Thank you all for responding back. Looking at all these responses, it looks
like this is a common problem with Sprint. I hope the company takes notice
of this problem and fixes it.

I have also noticed that their customer service is not as good as it used to
be. A lot of run-around without acknowledging customer problems, deceptive
practices like putting the customer on a new two-year plan (on slightest
service change) without telling the customer, etc.

"J Naini" <Naini@ATT.net> wrote in message
> I have used a Sanyo SCP-4900 for over a year without any problems. For
about
> 3 months, my incoming calls are intermittently going directly to voice
mail.
> The location of the phone does not seem to matter. I talked to Sprint
> technical folks twice who suggested that I exit voice mail gracefully (**)
> and turn off the phone for at least one minute several times a day. This
all
> sounds unacceptable to me as a service level. Has anyone had this problem,
> or can shed a light as to why it is happening? I am considering leaving
> Sprint.
>
> Paying $40 for voice mail Sprint services,
>
> JN

Anonymous
November 6, 2004 10:15:06 PM

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 19:15:05 +0000, J Naini wrote:

> Thank you all for responding back. Looking at all these responses, it looks
> like this is a common problem with Sprint. I hope the company takes notice
> of this problem and fixes it.
>
> I have also noticed that their customer service is not as good as it used to
> be. A lot of run-around without acknowledging customer problems, deceptive
> practices like putting the customer on a new two-year plan (on slightest
> service change) without telling the customer, etc.

Well I wouldn't say it is a common problem with SprintPCS. It is a known
issue to occur on a CDMA network. I have had this issue for a short period
last year with sprintpcs and it was very upsetting since I depend on my
cellphone to always recv calls when it has signal. The problem was
resolved in 1-2 weeks and I have not seen the issue since. As far as
sprintpcs customer service goes, they are horrible at times but it is hard
to have cheap labor, quick response times, and at the same time have
people who care to solve your problem to your satisfaction. With SprintPCS
it does seem like a coin toss of wither or not the person on the other end
of the support call will be helpful or just lie to get you off the phone.
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 7:14:07 AM

>The problem was resolved in 1-2 weeks and I have not seen the issue since.
So, how did they resolve the issue? Maybe some of us can get some relief.

BTW, my incoming calls go directly to VM a lot. Fortunately, the voicemail
notification alerts me afterwards that someone is trying to reach me so I
can return the call......that is, if they leave a message.
I'm going to run some tests from my landline to see what the ratio is, and
see if the time of day has any relation to the problem. This problem and
dropped calls are my two biggest complaints with my PCS service.
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 4:05:34 PM

> Thank you all for responding back. Looking at all these responses, it
looks
> like this is a common problem with Sprint. I hope the company takes notice
> of this problem and fixes it.

What makes you think this is a common problem with SPCS? I've had it happen
to me once in the past two weeks, and it was because I was in a low signal
area.

> I have also noticed that their customer service is not as good as it used
> be. A lot of run-around without acknowledging customer problems, deceptive
> practices like putting the customer on a new two-year plan (on slightest
> service change) without telling the customer, etc.

Oh? What deceptive practices? Did this happen to you? If it did, why don't
you tell us what changes you made to your plan, to extend it for 2 years.

Bob
!