Speaker Switch Please Advise

Last response: in Home Audio
March 2, 2005 10:40:59 PM

Hi.
I'd like to be able to switch between (2) pairs of speakers (a pair of
old AR's and a pair of Hafler M5's). It would be great if they could
share my Hafler P3000 amp.

I have a guy working on my console right now who recommended I pick up
one of these:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CT...

and he'd wire it into a blank Meterbridge panel spot I have.

What do you think???

Many Thanks...............

More about : speaker switch advise

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 10:41:00 PM

The best off the shelf speaker switcher I've yet seen is the Adcom GFS series(GFS-3, GFS-6,
etc.). They can handle high power & are very reliable.

--
Stephen Sank, Owner & Ribbon Mic Restorer
Talking Dog Transducer Company
"e.maynard" <heartwood-erik@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
> I'd like to be able to switch between (2) pairs of speakers (a pair of
> old AR's and a pair of Hafler M5's). It would be great if they could
> share my Hafler P3000 amp.
>
> I have a guy working on my console right now who recommended I pick up
> one of these:
> http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CT...
>
> and he'd wire it into a blank Meterbridge panel spot I have.
>
> What do you think???
>

> Many Thanks...............
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 11:11:44 AM

Frank Vuotto <deepthrob@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On 2 Mar 2005 18:06:08 -0500, mrivers@d-and-d.com (Mike Rivers) wrote:
>
>>Buy two, one for each channel. You really need a 4 pole double throw
>>switch. You won't find one at Radio Shack. If you're willing to go the
>
>I don't think I've ever seen a speaker switch that switched both the +
>and - (although there may be some out there). The usual scheme is to
>leave all the - (or ground) wires connected

In the consumer world they are pretty common now, since so many of the
cheaper amplifiers use bridged output stages so they can get away with
lower voltage power supplies. Yechh.
--scott