Receiving faxes with Samsung SPH-A620?

Last response: in Network Providers
a b Ô Samsung
November 6, 2004 5:24:13 PM

I've set up my SPH-A620 to use Windows Fax (from XP Pro) to send faxes.
That works just fine. Some people have suggested that you need to use
special data numbers to make faxing work; that's not my experience. Fax
calls to my regular fax machine number work just fine.

Problem is I can't figure out how to get the phone to answer for an incoming
fax call.

Suggestions? I tried the standard AT&s0=2 (answer after two rings) and got
an OK back from the phone, but it still doesn't answer incoming calls.
ATDTXXXXXXX (replace the Xs with a real phone number) works to have the
phone make an outgoing call.

Failing that, and not really a sprint question: anyone know how go directly
from a fax machine to a modem without having two phone lines? I'd really
like to use my fax machine as a scanner with a document feeder for scanning
paperwork (fax quality is perfectly acceptable for bills and such), but I
don't have two wired lines.

- James
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
November 6, 2004 6:21:11 PM

James Moore wrote:
> I've set up my SPH-A620 to use Windows Fax (from XP Pro) to send faxes.
> That works just fine. Some people have suggested that you need to use
> special data numbers to make faxing work; that's not my experience. Fax
> calls to my regular fax machine number work just fine.
>
> Problem is I can't figure out how to get the phone to answer for an incoming
> fax call.
>
> Suggestions? I tried the standard AT&s0=2 (answer after two rings) and got
> an OK back from the phone, but it still doesn't answer incoming calls.
> ATDTXXXXXXX (replace the Xs with a real phone number) works to have the
> phone make an outgoing call.

There may be a menu setting. Keep in mind that it will almost definitely be
billed as a data call.

a b Ô Samsung
November 9, 2004 1:55:00 AM

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 14:24:13 -0800, James Moore wrote:

> I've set up my SPH-A620 to use Windows Fax (from XP Pro) to send faxes.
> That works just fine. Some people have suggested that you need to use
> special data numbers to make faxing work; that's not my experience. Fax
> calls to my regular fax machine number work just fine.
>
> Problem is I can't figure out how to get the phone to answer for an incoming
> fax call.
>
> Suggestions? I tried the standard AT&s0=2 (answer after two rings) and got
> an OK back from the phone, but it still doesn't answer incoming calls.
> ATDTXXXXXXX (replace the Xs with a real phone number) works to have the
> phone make an outgoing call.
>
> Failing that, and not really a sprint question: anyone know how go directly
> from a fax machine to a modem without having two phone lines? I'd really
> like to use my fax machine as a scanner with a document feeder for scanning
> paperwork (fax quality is perfectly acceptable for bills and such), but I
> don't have two wired lines.
>
> - James

That is what the data/fax phone number is for. To tell the phone to pick
up and treat the incoming call on the data/fax number as a data/fax
connection. The number is not for sending faxes out. The other method
instead of a special fax/data number is to look on the phone for a menu
that lets you set what the next incoming call is. Usually it will give you
a choice of voice/data/fax where setting it to data/fax tells the phone to
pick up the call and notify the connected devices there is an incoming
call.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
November 10, 2004 1:16:22 AM

I've seen such a menu setting on my Samsungs older than the A620, but I
can't find such a setting on my A620.