cant find cdrom dvdrom device

norm413

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2003
I'm using an older version of intervideo win dvd and all of a sudded i am getting an error message that says "cant find cd-rom dvd-rom device. I've tried everything I can think of with no results. Any suggestions????

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
I can't read your mind :) What exactly have you tried? Anyway, have you looked in the device manager to see if the optical drive is there and functional? Also can the BIOS recognise the drive? Have you checked the cables that are well connected to the drive?

norm413

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2003
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software, checked all the drivers to assure that they are functional, checked device mgr to assure that the drive is configured properly.
I am using win98se on a dell dimension xps450 with a p2 at 450 mhz. Also have a cdrw attached which is working fine. The dvd recognizes the disk and brings up the win dvd program but then I get the error message and can go no further. Please help if possible

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
Not sure if this works or not: try to remove the DVD-ROM drive in device manager and then reboot. Let Windows re-detect the DVD drive and install the correct driver again.