Confused by Sprints internet plans

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
November 8, 2004 7:25:03 PM

I've pasted their plan below. Are they basically saying in a
smartphone it's $15 a month but if it's on a PDA (PPC or Palm) then
it's $30 a month. I did ask that without the extra 15$ you use THEIR
email address they give you myname@sprint.com but if you want to POP3
to your own ISP you have to pay the extra $15.

Can you get unlimited access on PDA for $15.

I really like the T-Mobiles plans but they don't have quite the area
coverage I need.

Try Sprint PCS Vision FREE for the first two months.

Cost Per Month
Sprint PCS Vision Pictures Pack
Perfect for people who have a PCS VisionSM Picture Phone.Take, upload
and send an unlimited number of pictures with Sprint PCS Picture
MailSM. Includes 100 SMS Text Messages and Web access. $15
Sprint PCS Vision Premium Pack
Perfect for people who want to download Ringers, Games, Screen Savers
and other Sprint PCS Vision Services. Includes 100 SMS Messages and
Web access. $15
Sprint PCS Vision Professional Pack
Read and send personal or company email with Sprint PCS Business
ConnectionSM Personal Edition. Includes Messaging, Web access and
Sprint PCS Picture Mail. ( Additional $15/month for Sprint PCS Vision
Smart Devices that use the Microsoft® Pocket PC Operating System.)
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 4:14:12 AM

mswlogo@hotmail.com (George) wrote in

> Are they basically saying in a smartphone it's $15 a month
> but if it's on a PDA (PPC or Palm) then it's $30 a month.

It's $15/month for any Palm-based phone (or non Pocket PC
phone). It's $30/month for a Pocket PC-based phone (or
$15/month if your service plan is $100 or higher). The
reasoning is that a Pocket PC-based phone acts more like a
laptop computer and would download more data than other
phones.
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 8:43:57 AM

"Help PCS" <help_pcs@netzero.net> wrote in message news:Xns959BB946A5674helppcs@216.143.170.13...
> It's $15/month for any Palm-based phone (or non Pocket PC
> phone). It's $30/month for a Pocket PC-based phone (or
> $15/month if your service plan is $100 or higher). The
> reasoning is that a Pocket PC-based phone acts more like a
> laptop computer and would download more data than other
> phones.

Is there any rationale for believing that a Pocket PC-based phone
would download much more data than a Palm-based phone?
It's just a different OS, right?

--
John Richards
November 9, 2004 9:43:22 AM

In article <xOYjd.3364$t33.440@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com>, jr70
@blackhole.invalid says...
> Is there any rationale for believing that a Pocket PC-based phone
> would download much more data than a Palm-based phone?
> It's just a different OS, right?

Not really. The browser built in to Palm phones is still a WAP browser.
It has limitations. Not as much as a "pure" phone, but still
significantly more so than a laptop. A PocketPC, or even the Windows
SmartPhone, they have PocketIE. It really *is* an HTML browser. Maybe
not all the DHTML, or Javascript, or some of the other goodies, but it's
still far more of a browser akin to what you have on a PC than what
comes on a Palm. So yeah, based on usage Sprint saw with the original
PocketPC phone, the Toshiba "Thera" 2032 (which is still for sale,
interestingly, or pathetically, depending on your opinion), Sprint saw
Windows-style PDA's using significantly more data.

--
RØß
O/Siris

O/Siris wrote:
> In article <xOYjd.3364$t33.440@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com>, jr70
> @blackhole.invalid says...
>
>>Is there any rationale for believing that a Pocket PC-based phone
>>would download much more data than a Palm-based phone?
>>It's just a different OS, right?
>>

> Not really. The browser built in to Palm phones is still a WAP browser.
> It has limitations. Not as much as a "pure" phone, but still
> significantly more so than a laptop. A PocketPC, or even the Windows
> SmartPhone, they have PocketIE. It really *is* an HTML browser.

So Rob... You *are* billing Sprint each time you answer a question here, right?
Just tell 'em to 1099 you at the end of the year :)

November 9, 2004 10:08:41 PM

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?O/Siris?= <0siris@sprîntpcs.côm> writes:

>The browser built in to Palm phones is still a WAP browser.

Blazer is just a WAP browser?!

Does that mean I have to stop using it on HTML?

--kyler
November 10, 2004 9:44:27 PM

Kyler Laird <Kyler@news.Lairds.org> wrote in message news:<ubt662-bv6.ln1@lairds.us>...
> =?ISO-8859-15?Q?O/Siris?= <0siris@sprîntpcs.côm> writes:
>
> >The browser built in to Palm phones is still a WAP browser.
>
> Blazer is just a WAP browser?!
>
> Does that mean I have to stop using it on HTML?
>
> --kyler

What's to prevent me from signing up with a cheap phone and then
buying a pocket pc phone to replace it. Do CDMA phones use SIM chips
or simular, how hard is it to switch. I don't expect to download a lot
of data. I just don't want to pay for $30.00 month because some folks
may have abused it.
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 11:36:55 PM

"Kyler Laird" <Kyler@news.Lairds.org> wrote in message news:ubt662-bv6.ln1@lairds.us...
> =?ISO-8859-15?Q?O/Siris?= <0siris@sprîntpcs.côm> writes:
>
>>The browser built in to Palm phones is still a WAP browser.
>
> Blazer is just a WAP browser?!
>
> Does that mean I have to stop using it on HTML?

This is what I was getting at. A competent OS will run any software
written for it, and there's no reason to run only a limited browser
just because the OS is Palm.

Is this another situation where Sprint can't see farther than the
length of its nose?

--
John Richards
Anonymous

"John Richards" <jr70@blackhole.invalid> writes:

>"Kyler Laird" <Kyler@news.Lairds.org> wrote in message news:ubt662-bv6.ln1@lairds.us...
>> =?ISO-8859-15?Q?O/Siris?= <0siris@sprîntpcs.côm> writes:
>>
>>>The browser built in to Palm phones is still a WAP browser.
>>
>> Blazer is just a WAP browser?!
>>
>> Does that mean I have to stop using it on HTML?

>This is what I was getting at. A competent OS will run any software
>written for it, and there's no reason to run only a limited browser
>just because the OS is Palm.

But the *only* browser I got on my Palm phone from SprintPCS
was Blazer. There's no "limited browser" issue that I see.

>Is this another situation where Sprint can't see farther than the
>length of its nose?

I don't get it. Are you thinking that they don't know that
they ship an HTML browser with their Palm phones?

--kyler
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 9:59:59 AM

"Kyler Laird" <Kyler@news.Lairds.org> wrote in message news:hska62-at2.ln1@lairds.us...
> "John Richards" <jr70@blackhole.invalid> writes:

>>> Blazer is just a WAP browser?!
>>>
>>> Does that mean I have to stop using it on HTML?
>
>>This is what I was getting at. A competent OS will run any software
>>written for it, and there's no reason to run only a limited browser
>>just because the OS is Palm.
>
> But the *only* browser I got on my Palm phone from SprintPCS
> was Blazer. There's no "limited browser" issue that I see.
>
>>Is this another situation where Sprint can't see farther than the
>>length of its nose?
>
> I don't get it. Are you thinking that they don't know that
> they ship an HTML browser with their Palm phones?

I wasn't specifically commenting on the HTML vs WAP browser aspect.
My comment was regarding O/Siris' claim that a Palm device can't
download nearly as much data as a Pocket PC device.

--
John Richards
Anonymous

Sprint PCS phones do not use sims. When you call Sprint PCS to
activate your pocket pc phone they will know it is a pocket pc phone and
charge you the $30 for Vision, unless you tell them that you do not want
a Vision plan and are willing to pay the per kilobyte rate.
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 4:31:06 PM

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 06:59:59 +0000, John Richards wrote:

> I wasn't specifically commenting on the HTML vs WAP browser aspect.
> My comment was regarding O/Siris' claim that a Palm device can't
> download nearly as much data as a Pocket PC device.

Actually O/Siris was relaying what sprintpcs claimed. Also that claim
involved a point when palm's had a wap browser standard while
wince/pocket pc/etc.. through its versions has had a form of IE. It is a
pretty empty claim but I'm sure sprintpcs had their reasons.
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 10:15:04 AM

In article <cmpqd4$9ll$1@ratbert.glorb.com>, sjsobol@JustThe.net says...
> So Rob... You *are* billing Sprint each time you answer a question here, right?
> Just tell 'em to 1099 you at the end of the year :)

Nah. I just think of the stunned silence Sprint reps give these people
after they call in with more information than the resp have, and I call
the entertainment value an even trade ;)

--
RØß
O/Siris
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be.
Moderation in temper is always a virtue,
but moderation in principle is always a vice.
Thomas Paine, "The Rights of Man", 1792
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 10:15:06 AM

In article <HZukd.27792$Qv5.26582@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>, jr70
@blackhole.invalid says...
> "Kyler Laird" <Kyler@news.Lairds.org> wrote in message news:ubt662-bv6.ln1@lairds.us...
> > =?ISO-8859-15?Q?O/Siris?= <0siris@sprîntpcs.côm> writes:
> >
> >>The browser built in to Palm phones is still a WAP browser.
> >
> > Blazer is just a WAP browser?!
> >
> > Does that mean I have to stop using it on HTML?
>
> This is what I was getting at. A competent OS will run any software
> written for it, and there's no reason to run only a limited browser
> just because the OS is Palm.
>
> Is this another situation where Sprint can't see farther than the
> length of its nose?

Blazer is a WAP browser. But, also, Sprint has installed a kind of
"interpreter" server in between that attempts to translate into WAP
whenever an HTML page comes in. Don't remember what SPCS called it. It
also does web clipping, and image compression.

There's no reason not to try an HTML page. Plus, it's a Palm OS at
heart, so if you find an HTML browser, there's no reason not to install
it. The costing is simply based on the software already built into the
respective OS's.

--
RØß
O/Siris
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be.
Moderation in temper is always a virtue,
but moderation in principle is always a vice.
Thomas Paine, "The Rights of Man", 1792
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 10:15:08 AM

In article <P5Ekd.27892$Qv5.5180@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>, jr70
@blackhole.invalid says...
> I wasn't specifically commenting on the HTML vs WAP browser aspect.
> My comment was regarding O/Siris' claim that a Palm device can't
> download nearly as much data as a Pocket PC device.

My comment was about observed usage. Not about technical capabilities.

--
RØß
O/Siris
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be.
Moderation in temper is always a virtue,
but moderation in principle is always a vice.
Thomas Paine, "The Rights of Man", 1792
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 10:15:13 AM

In article <4c410e93.0411101844.38e70d54@posting.google.com>,
mswlogo@hotmail.com says...

> What's to prevent me from signing up with a cheap phone and then
> buying a pocket pc phone to replace it. Do CDMA phones use SIM chips
> or simular, how hard is it to switch. I don't expect to download a lot
> of data. I just don't want to pay for $30.00 month because some folks
> may have abused it.

Actually, Barely half the reps outside of Vision tech support even
seemed to know that the $30 Vision pack was there, much less that it was
required on PocketPC phones. And of the ones that *did* know of it,
half of those thought it applied to *all* PDA phones.

Fun, huh?

By the book, a swap to a PDA phone has to be done in our system, and the
rep is supposed to automatically add the PocketPC version of Vision if
the customer want's Vision.

--
RØß
O/Siris