Empire Enhanced, the AI

Last response: in Video Games
March 7, 2005 1:34:34 PM

I wrote a review of this game a couple of weeks ago. Not to beat a
dead horse but here is some more info. This is a direct quote from
Mark Kinkead, the developer, from his web site forum.

"I have no plans to rework the AI player or write another at this
moment. I have too much else that requires my attention. There is
nothing "simple" about writing an AI. It would take a minimum of three
full time months to make a new AI, and there is no guarantee it be be
as effective as the one I already wrote.

New AI's, if any are to come out, need to come from you guys.
Everything needed to make a stronger AI is there, if you have the
skill. If you don't have the skill, then you must wait till someone
that does gets inspired."

This is the first time in 24 years I've seen a game published with an
AI that is so bad it is virtually unplayable, where the developer
acknowledges problems, and where he expects his customers to solve them
for him. We can only hope this is not a trend for the future of
computer gaming.

More about : empire enhanced

Anonymous
March 7, 2005 3:49:36 PM

Rich12... is entitled to his opinion, an opinion that he wishes to
broadcast to the
world--over and over again.

I am enjoying playing the game immensely.

I didn't find the AIs in the earlier versions of Empire all that
spectacular.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 3:58:41 PM

Very interesting. There are games with a poor ai but not a single one
comes to mind where the developer does not include a playable ai but
expects his customers to do the hard programming necessary to make one.
Just out of curiosity, since this is so common, would you mind
refreshing my memory with a few names?

And how is it a sensible stance to issue a game without a playable ai?

By all means get the game. It comes with an ai script and a dll code
that is open. There are no instructions and Kinkead said it will take
a programmer to work with the dll code.

If you're planning on developing the ai I wish you luck. Kinkead said
it would take HIM a minimum of three full time months so plan on
spending some time with it. But I sincerely wish you success in your
endeavor and please send me a copy of the finished product. I'd love
to play this game since it is otherwise very nice, but the ai is so bad
it's now pretty much a waste of time.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 5:03:42 PM

JHawk, I'm glad you're enjoying the game.

Several others on the Killer Bee forum brought up the same ai problems
that I did. Even Kinkaid admitted to the problems, he just refuses to
fix them.

So there are ai problems that are so serious that the game is virtually
unplayable against the computer. Yet you admit you enjoy it immensely.
Hmmmmmm.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 5:28:21 PM

The developer has not said that his AI is "unplayable." That is your
interpretation.

The developer is being honest when he says that it is extremely
difficult to come up
with an AI that would severely challenge a human player.

Of course some developers allow their AIs to cheat. And that is
something universally scorned.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 7:15:31 PM

JHawk, you're right about one thing. The AIs in earlier versions
weren't all that spectacular. BUT they were adequate and provided a
fun game. The AI in EDEE is so bad it is virtually unplayable against
the computer yet you're enjoying the game immensely. So one of two
things is happening. Either you're only playing against humans or
you're somehow getting enjoyment from a brain dead AI.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 9:21:11 PM

Gandalf, you're not sure where my gripe is?
Your first sentence in the quote tells it. It says EDEE has a
stronger, programmable AI. Programmable? Yes. Stronger? Absolutely
not. It has enough serious flaws that it is so weak it is virtually
unplayable. My gripe is that an Empire game, which typically comes
with a decent AI and offers a fun game, came with neither. And my
further gripe is when I brought this up on the Killer Bee forum I got
banned for having a "poor attitude." Kinkead apparantly doesn't want
anyone on the forum telling the truth about the AI and scaring away
potential customers.

Now, Mr Parker, you never answered the questions that I posed in my
first reply to you. That has the unfortunate effect of making you look
like a politician evading a reporter. All you did was come back and
praise Kinkead again. I'm beginning to think you have an ulterior
motive here. Is he a friend of yours? Did he ask you to post?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 11:06:12 PM

rich12545@yahoo.com wrote in news:1110220474.046697.308230
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> This is the first time in 24 years I've seen a game published with an
> AI that is so bad it is virtually unplayable, where the developer
> acknowledges problems, and where he expects his customers to solve them
> for him. We can only hope this is not a trend for the future of
> computer gaming.

Thats not at all rare. In fact its common. I would even go on to say that
its a very sensible stance. Not the "ulplayable" part but the rest of it.
Whats rare is that a developer was willing to say it so clearly. Kudos to
him as far as Im concerned.

But it leads me to consider snagging the game to see if he has provided the
access needed for 3rd party AIs. Some games have and I have enjoyed them
immensely because of it

Gandalf Parker
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 11:55:21 PM

On 7 Mar 2005 10:34:34 -0800, rich12545@yahoo.com wrote:

>This is the first time in 24 years I've seen a game published with an
>AI that is so bad it is virtually unplayable, where the developer
>acknowledges problems, and where he expects his customers to solve them
>for him. We can only hope this is not a trend for the future of
>computer gaming.

I've seen a major publisher release a game with a bug so bad the
game was virtually useless (saving the game reset the difficulty level
to the easiest one, so it was either a pushover or you played a couple
dozen hours in a single sitting to finish the game), they acknowledged
the problem, delcined to issue a very simple patch to fix it, and it
was indeed a customer who eventually solved the problem. This was
back in 1996-7ish, I never again bought a game with the Microprose
label.

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 11:55:22 PM

Johnny Bravo wrote:
<snip>
> I've seen a major publisher release a game with a bug so bad the
> game was virtually useless (saving the game reset the difficulty
level
> to the easiest one, so it was either a pushover or you played a
couple
> dozen hours in a single sitting to finish the game), they
acknowledged
> the problem, delcined to issue a very simple patch to fix it, and it
> was indeed a customer who eventually solved the problem. This was
> back in 1996-7ish, I never again bought a game with the Microprose
> label

And they are now out of business, and games in that genre are no
longer being made. Happy now?
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 1:12:07 AM

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 20:55:21 GMT, Johnny Bravo
<baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On 7 Mar 2005 10:34:34 -0800, rich12545@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>>This is the first time in 24 years I've seen a game published with an
>>AI that is so bad it is virtually unplayable, where the developer
>>acknowledges problems, and where he expects his customers to solve them
>>for him. We can only hope this is not a trend for the future of
>>computer gaming.
>
> I've seen a major publisher release a game with a bug so bad the
>game was virtually useless (saving the game reset the difficulty level
>to the easiest one, so it was either a pushover or you played a couple
>dozen hours in a single sitting to finish the game), they acknowledged
>the problem, delcined to issue a very simple patch to fix it, and it
>was indeed a customer who eventually solved the problem. This was
>back in 1996-7ish, I never again bought a game with the Microprose
>label.

And still, we play X-com 10 years after it was released...

(it is the only game that incorporated experience I ever played where
you could get your team creamed and still be competitive by making up
another one. For all the other games I played, you had to reload and
try again since things got nearly impossible if didn't keep at least
part of your starting crew)
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 3:53:14 AM

rich12545@yahoo.com wrote in news:1110229121.455775.304790
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I'd love
> to play this game since it is otherwise very nice, but the ai is so bad
> it's now pretty much a waste of time.

Personally I prefer solo play so I went to see if this game was being
marketed as a solo or a multiplayer game. Alot of multiplayer games have
AIs that are barely adequate as a tutorial but not as an opponent.

What I found was a pretty obvious statement.

> Empire Deluxe Enhanced Edition has Larger Maps, More Players, and a
> Stronger, Programmable AI
> Empire Deluxe Enhanced Edition also allows for larger maps and more
> opponents than previously allowed in the Empire Series. Other Human
> opponents may participate in a game via Email games or with live play
> over a network or the Internet.
>
> The computer opponents will evolve in Empire Deluxe Enhanced Edition
> as well. Players will have the opportunity to edit scripts for some
> computer opponents, enabling the AI's behavior and rules of engagement
> to be changed. Beyond this, AI gurus with technical programming skill
> can write their own AI players interfacing with a C++ AI interface.

Im not sure where your gripe is. Looks like he provided what he says. I
commend him for it. He did his part and opened the door for others to
tackle what he didnt want to spend time on. I wish more games would do
it. The games that did have eventually excelled in the areas left open
for player expansion

Gandalf Parker
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 8:17:28 AM

Gandalf, let me try to clarify a few things for you.

First, the AI in EDEE is way worse than in any previous Empire or
Empire Deluxe game. On the forum I stated several times that if
Kinkead were to make the AI the same as his previous Empire Deluxe then
I would be happy. He refuses to even look at the AI and is leaving it
up to his customers. This is a novel concept. You said it was common
and I'm still waiting for you to come up with a few examples.

Second, on the forum I had a pleasant, constructive attitude. What
Kinkead didn't like was someone bringing up the lousy ai all the time.
So he literally concocted this "poor attitude" thing so he would have
an excuse to ban me.

Third, those games you mentioned got 3rd party modules to enhance the
game. That's totally different from an AI that is a necessary
component to play the game at all. You're talking about apples and
oranges.

And I'm not quibbling. I've stated repeatedly I'm only looking for a
decent AI that allows the game to be playable. Period. You're totally
missing the whole point (on purpose?). The game, as published, is
virtually unplayable solo. Kinkead expects his customers to do his job
and come up with a decent ai. This is a first in computer gaming
history. It is totally irresponsible and should be condemned by every
right thinking gamer.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 8:51:29 AM

rich12545@yahoo.com wrote in news:1110248471.612814.199370
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> Gandalf, you're not sure where my gripe is?
> Your first sentence in the quote tells it. It says EDEE has a
> stronger, programmable AI. Programmable? Yes. Stronger? Absolutely
> not.

Hmmm as a programmer his idea of a stronger AI might be different from
yours. Stronger code does not generally mean the same thing as "smarter"
code. Especially when it comes to the difference between artificial
intelligence (which is fairly easy to do in a game) and artificially
human (which is much more difficult).

> My gripe is that an Empire game, which typically comes
> with a decent AI and offers a fun game, came with neither.

This Empire has a worse AI than the previous version of it? You havent
made me want to buy it and find out but I remember that previous Empires
did have an AI.

> And my
> further gripe is when I brought this up on the Killer Bee forum I got
> banned for having a "poor attitude." Kinkead apparantly doesn't want
> anyone on the forum telling the truth about the AI and scaring away
> potential customers.

Heehee. BOY does that sound familiar. Gee he didnt like you coming into
his house with an in-your-face attitude. Lets scan back and see how many
of THOSE threads we have seen here.

> Now, Mr Parker, you never answered the questions that I posed in my
> first reply to you.

Will I do an AI for it? C++ and a dll in a windows environment? Probably
not. I will agree with the 3 months thing. It took at least that long for
the 3rd party modules to show up boosting the AI in Stars, Neverwinter
Nights, Space Empires IV, GalCiv (slightly different since the original
programmer incorporated player AI recordings), and most game bots Ive
ever seen.

> That has the unfortunate effect of making you look
> like a politician evading a reporter.

Yeah ok. Ive heard it called everything from diplomatic to riding the
fence but I guess "politician" works.

> All you did was come back and
> praise Kinkead again. I'm beginning to think you have an ulterior
> motive here. Is he a friend of yours? Did he ask you to post?
> Inquiring minds want to know.

No I dont think I know the guy personally. But Ive always been a
supporter in the game.development groups that programmers might want to
come off their pedestals abit and realize that they might be able to do
it all. So if its short on graphics, then make them a recognizeable
format and accessable to the uses. Same with sound files. Or AI. Games
which have done that have grown to 100 times the original game level.

Done slightly its called a "3rd party interface". Done more its called
"moddable". And done to the extreme its called a "game engine". Im real
sorry that you didnt get what you wanted but it looks like its down to
quibbling over what you want vs what he said it was.

Gandalf Parker
-- Usenet Irregular Verb Conjugation:
I have opinions. You have biases. He/She has prejudices.
I am a skeptic. You are a paranoid. He/she is an insane fanatic.
I have facts. You have misjudgements. He/she has propoganda.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 9:16:36 AM

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 22:12:07 +0100, S. Delerme <delerme@free.fr>
wrote:

>On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 20:55:21 GMT, Johnny Bravo
><baawa_knight@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>On 7 Mar 2005 10:34:34 -0800, rich12545@yahoo.com wrote:
>>
>>>This is the first time in 24 years I've seen a game published with an
>>>AI that is so bad it is virtually unplayable, where the developer
>>>acknowledges problems, and where he expects his customers to solve them
>>>for him. We can only hope this is not a trend for the future of
>>>computer gaming.
>>
>> I've seen a major publisher release a game with a bug so bad the
>>game was virtually useless (saving the game reset the difficulty level
>>to the easiest one, so it was either a pushover or you played a couple
>>dozen hours in a single sitting to finish the game), they acknowledged
>>the problem, delcined to issue a very simple patch to fix it, and it
>>was indeed a customer who eventually solved the problem. This was
>>back in 1996-7ish, I never again bought a game with the Microprose
>>label.
>
>And still, we play X-com 10 years after it was released...

That's because Scott Jones stepped up and saved it. If it was never
fixed it would quickly have been forgotten as the pushover that it was
shipped as.

>(it is the only game that incorporated experience I ever played where
>you could get your team creamed and still be competitive by making up
>another one. For all the other games I played, you had to reload and
>try again since things got nearly impossible if didn't keep at least
>part of your starting crew)

That is because the gear is far more important than your statistics,
a guy in a powered armor suit is pretty much the same as all your
other guys in powered armored suits, rookie or experienced. The
aliens do so much damage in the late game that even having awesome
stats doesn't really change the average lifespan all that much.

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 9:58:10 AM

That's odd. My newsreader doesn't show this post by JHawk.
Of course the developer won't say his AI is "unplayable." But he does
say it has real problems and he won't fix them. He expects his
customers to fix them for him and he said that also.

As shadows says, Gal Civ has a good ai as do a lot of games. Too bad
EDEE isn't one of them. I played two complete games and the flaws that
I, and several others on the forum, discovered literally make the game
unplayable solo.
March 8, 2005 11:23:20 AM

On 2005-03-07, JHawk <brycej@truman.edu> wrote:
> The developer has not said that his AI is "unplayable." That is your
> interpretation.
>
> The developer is being honest when he says that it is extremely
> difficult to come up
> with an AI that would severely challenge a human player.
>
> Of course some developers allow their AIs to cheat. And that is
> something universally scorned.

Galactic Civilizations doesn't have this problem. The AI does not
cheat and it kicks butt.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 2:03:30 PM

Gandalf, I played Neverwinter Nights not long after it came out. I
went through the campaign and enjoyed it a lot. And I saw nothing
wrong with the ai.

You mention Stars with no ai. Well some games are multi only but they
say so. EDEE is not like that at all.

I also played Space Empires 4. The ai was decent but not real strong
and players came up with mods to make it stronger. But imo the ai out
of the box was ok.

I never played Dominions but you mentioned patches. That indicates the
game was made better by the developers and not the customers.

And here's the kicker. I played Empire Deluxe Internet Editon. This
is Kinkead's previous Empire game and I have absolutely no complaints
about the ai. It's not the smartest dog on the lot but it's fine and
I've enjoyed many many hours playing.

I still maintain that so far as I can tell there hasn't been a game
developed with an unplayable ai where the developer has made it
mandatory for the customers to develop one in order to play. What
Kinkead is doing is a first in the industry.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 2:04:35 PM

[...]

March 8, 2005 7:46:36 PM

In article <slrnd2rdbb.2ui.shadows@helena.whitefang.com>, shadows wrote:
> On 2005-03-07, JHawk <brycej@truman.edu> wrote:
>> The developer has not said that his AI is "unplayable." That is your
>> interpretation.
>>
>> The developer is being honest when he says that it is extremely
>> difficult to come up
>> with an AI that would severely challenge a human player.
>>
>> Of course some developers allow their AIs to cheat. And that is
>> something universally scorned.
> Galactic Civilizations doesn't have this problem. The AI does not
> cheat and it kicks butt.

Whether you consider it cheating or not, the GalCiv AI does not play the
game from the same starting position as the human player. IIRC it already
knows the position of all grade 16 stars and has communications with all
other civs. This means that no exploration AI is required.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 11:54:40 PM

rich12545@yahoo.com wrote in news:1110308675.356632.80930
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> I never played Dominions but you mentioned patches. That indicates the
> game was made better by the developers and not the customers.

Actually the AI suggestions were asked for and gotten thru the forums.

As to all of the rest.. I will let others continue the thread if they want.
Im not saying it was done right but Im still not convinced that its new and
horrible.

Gandalf Parker
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 7:56:12 AM

Gandalf Parker <gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote:

> Hmmm as a programmer his idea of a stronger AI might be different from
> yours. Stronger code does not generally mean the same thing as "smarter"
> code. Especially when it comes to the difference between artificial
> intelligence (which is fairly easy to do in a game) and artificially
> human (which is much more difficult).
I'm not sure i follow -- can you say more about the differences between an
AI and an artificial human? I can agree one is harder than the other: AI
is merely very difficult, and AH is impossible. :)

> -- Usenet Irregular Verb Conjugation:
> I have opinions. You have biases. He/She has prejudices.
> I am a skeptic. You are a paranoid. He/she is an insane fanatic.
> I have facts. You have misjudgements. He/she has propoganda.
Hee. :)  I hadn't seen a version this elaborate before.

--Dave
"No plan survives contact with the enemy." --Helmut von Moltke.
To reply, note that the University of Wisconsin is a school.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 12:42:15 PM

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

Kinkead recently wrote and produced Empire Deluxe Internet Edition and
Perfect General Internet Edition and both had decent AIs. All he had
to do was make the AI in EDEE as good as his EDIE and it would have
been fine.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 2:29:18 PM

rich12545@yahoo.com wrote:
> You obviously have no idea what you're talking about.
>
> Kinkead recently wrote and produced Empire Deluxe Internet Edition
and
> Perfect General Internet Edition and both had decent AIs. All he had
> to do was make the AI in EDEE as good as his EDIE and it would have
> been fine.

uh... maybe you should do some research before shooting your mouth off
(I know, I know - its the internet - who has the time to look into
something when you can send off a flame instead).

EDIE and PGIE were him taking the _ORIGINAL_ Empire Deluxe and Perfect
General code, and adding internet support. The reason that EDIE and
PGIE had decent AIs is because he got them along with the rest of the
original source code, and he didn't change the game mechanics enough to
confound the AI.

In EDEE he decided to either completely overhaul or rewrite from
scratch the AI - its not entirely clear from his postings. What is
entirely clear though is that he underestimated, as you have, how
difficult it is to make a decent computer opponent, particularly in a
game this complicated.

I entirely admire his decision to admit his shortcomings, expose the AI
to the community, and move on to other matters where he could make
better use of his time.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 3:32:27 PM

Uh, maybe you should do some research. EDIE and PGIE were written for
different operating systems and as such had to be rewritten. He didn't
just take the original and add internet support. Such an assertion is
very naive. Kinkead did a very good job with both. Imo the AI for
both is somewhat better than the original.

And btw, I only flame those who deserve it.
What you said is he had no experience writing an AI. Not true at all.
Had you bothered to check you would have found he had plenty of
experience but, then, this is the internet.

You may admire his decision but he made it grudgingly when I and others
pointed out all the flaws in the ai and he simply didn't feel like
fixing it so he is making his customers do it if they want to play solo.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 6:46:27 PM

I think you're reading things into his comments that aren't there. You
simply can't take code from one operating system, such as dos or win
3.1, and willy-nilly turn it into a regular windows program. It has to
be rewritten.

In addition, I played the original Perfect General and Empire Deluxe
and I can tell you that Kinkead's AI for those two games is better.
Not a lot. But enough so that you can tell.

When Kinkead put out EDEE, he should have advertised the lack of a
playable ai and the fact it was do-it-yourself. Failure to do so
constitutes faulty advertising. When the ai problem was brought to his
attention on the forum, he consistently tried to minimize it until it
got so big he was forced to address it. It was only then acknowledged
the problems and said he would not fix it but would leave it up to his
customers.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 9:42:50 PM

Just for the sake of argument (and I'm not saying I agree with this)
let's say you're right and kinkead is just not good at doing the ai and
this is basically a multiplayer product with a do-it -yourself ai. If
that's the case then it should say so on the main page of the Killer
Bee web site. Failure to do so is false advertising and borderline
fraud. Because except for some comments in the forum it is being sold
as a combo solo/multi game.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 10:44:56 PM

rich12545@yahoo.com wrote:
> Just for the sake of argument (and I'm not saying I agree with this)
> let's say you're right and kinkead is just not good at doing the ai
and
> this is basically a multiplayer product with a do-it -yourself ai.
If
> that's the case then it should say so on the main page of the Killer
> Bee web site. Failure to do so is false advertising and borderline
> fraud. Because except for some comments in the forum it is being
sold
> as a combo solo/multi game.

Should it be mentioned more prominently that the AI isn't killer?
Maybe. But that would be a pretty stupid advertising campaign so I
wouldn't expect it. He does state that the AI is "Stronger,
Programmable". Unfortunately here those are developer buzzwords for
object oriented and open interface/moddable. He should probably change
Stronger to "More soundly written from an Object Oriented development
standpoint", which is what he probably meant based off the more verbose
section on the AI in the FAQ... give it another year and it will
probably actually be stronger than the EDIE opponent thanks to the mod
community.

Don't be so hard on him - he gave it a shot and this is the best he
could do apparently... bigger game developers have made even worse
AI's. There are already modders working on it, so it'll improve.

I've given some thought to opening up the AI .dll source and working on
it myself - though to be honest I don't see how it could possibly be
written to work well with all the rules changes. If I do, it'll
probably just be for the basic game - with a few rules I like to use
thrown in as well...
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 3:12:42 AM

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 05:51:29 GMT, Gandalf Parker
<gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote:
>rich12545@yahoo.com wrote in news:1110248471.612814.199370
>@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Gandalf, you're not sure where my gripe is?
>> Your first sentence in the quote tells it. It says EDEE has a
>> stronger, programmable AI. Programmable? Yes. Stronger? Absolutely
>> not.
>
>Hmmm as a programmer his idea of a stronger AI might be different from
>yours. Stronger code does not generally mean the same thing as "smarter"
>code.

man, you are really reaching - and wrong. here's a quote from the
developer, taken from his forum, that equates "stronger" with
"smarter"

http://www.killerbeesoftware.com/swarm/viewtopic.php?t=...
"New AI's, if any are to come out, need to come from you guys.
Everything needed to make a stronger AI is there, if you have the
skill. If you don't have the skill, then you must wait till someone
that does gets inspired."

>"moddable". And done to the extreme its called a "game engine". Im real
>sorry that you didnt get what you wanted but it looks like its down to
>quibbling over what you want vs what he said it was.

i don't think so. the guy advertises a better AI but doesn't deliver.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 3:12:47 AM

On 9 Mar 2005 11:29:18 -0800, "Dtolman" <dtolman@yahoo.com> wrote:
>rich12545@yahoo.com wrote:
>I entirely admire his decision to admit his shortcomings, expose the AI
>to the community, and move on to other matters where he could make
>better use of his time.

but he has a responsibilty to his former customers if he expects to
sell anything in the future.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 3:12:54 AM

On 7 Mar 2005 14:28:21 -0800, "JHawk" <brycej@truman.edu> wrote:
>The developer has not said that his AI is "unplayable." That is your
>interpretation.
>
>The developer is being honest when he says that it is extremely
>difficult to come up
>with an AI that would severely challenge a human player.

if i remember right his complaint wasn't that the AI wasn't
challenging but that it was downright stupid. something about
destroyers not attacking transports.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 8:38:31 AM

Dtolman, your defense of Kinkead gets weirder all the time. You sound
like a democrat a few years ago trying to defend Clinton getting a bj
in the white house while discussing national security issues on the
telephone.

Kinkead owes his customers an apology. By not giving a disclaimer,
then by default EDEE is advertised as having an ai that is good enough
to play a fun game and that is simply a lie.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 11:06:54 AM

All of this is assuming he has a lot of disgruntled customers. Right
now my count
is that he has one disgruntled customer. If there are others, they
haven't come forward.
This one disgruntled customer keeps raising his one point over and over
again. Once
one thread dies he starts another. His latest charge is that the
developer is guilty of "fraud."

Anyone who reads the EDEE forum knows that the vast majority of players
love the game. Of course all of us have suggestions for improvement.
And many of those suggestions have been implemented. And are still
being implemented.

The developer who has spent over a year of his time resurrecting two
classic games is indeed selling the product. But I am skeptical that
he has made the minimum wage for all of his effots. He is doing it, I
suspect, because he loves the games. And he must have known that these
were hardly going to be big money makers.

But the developer does get the benefit of the admiration of almost all
of those who play his games. But now he gets the benefit of a one-man
booing section.

The saying is "No good deed goes unpunished."
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 1:59:38 PM

In article <orlv211cp427dom3iieje74k83odq89hsh@4ax.com>,
artg@softhome.net says...

> he did advert a stronger AI

The bit pattern is designed to protect your CD when you throw it at the
wall ;-)

- Gerry Quinn
March 10, 2005 3:27:31 PM

"JHawk" <brycej@truman.edu> wrote in message
> All of this is assuming he has a lot of disgruntled customers. Right
> now my count
> is that he has one disgruntled customer. If there are others, they
> haven't come forward.

If you read the forum you will find more and more players coming out with
different problems in the AI. It will take time, as I already said, but
gamers will tire of playing a brain dead ai. So far the game is new and the
bloom is still there.

And let me repeat myself. I really like this game. I've said so over and
over. What I don't like is an unplayable ai and the refusal of the
developer to fix it. In that sense I'm not a disgruntled customer. It's
really a great game. All it needs is an AI. If Kinkead doesn't do somethng
it will start dying off in a few months and end up in a scrap heap. And
that will be a shame.

> Anyone who reads the EDEE forum knows that the vast majority of players
> love the game. Of course all of us have suggestions for improvement.
> And many of those suggestions have been implemented. And are still
> being implemented.

There is a patch that addresses many bugs that you normally find in a new
product. But nothing addresses the problems with the ai.

> The developer who has spent over a year of his time resurrecting two
> classic games is indeed selling the product. But I am skeptical that
> he has made the minimum wage for all of his effots. He is doing it, I
> suspect, because he loves the games. And he must have known that these
> were hardly going to be big money makers.

You must have been reading my posts on the forum. I said virtually the same
thing. However, that has nothing to do with the ai problems.

> But the developer does get the benefit of the admiration of almost all
> of those who play his games. But now he gets the benefit of a one-man
> booing section.

It is human nature to align oneself with a celebrity. In this genre the
developer/programmer is in that position. So naturally Kinkead's customer's
speak softly when posting on the forum. Especially after what happened to
me simply for expressing my opinion.

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 4:03:07 PM

"All it needs is an AI. If Kinkead doesn't do somethng
it will start dying off in a few months and end up in a scrap heap.
And
that will be a shame. "

Hmm, if the AI is open then eventually someone will play with it and
fix it.

So it is good that the AI is open and not embedded into the game code.
At least there is the possibility that the game will one day really
work.

I haven't seen this latest version of Empire. I played Empire Deluxe
years ago. I don't
remember it being overly challenging even then.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 4:55:20 PM

rich12...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Dtolman, your defense of Kinkead gets weirder all the time. You
sound
> like a democrat a few years ago trying to defend Clinton getting a bj
> in the white house while discussing national security issues on the
> telephone.

What? My ability to show empathy makes you uncomfortable? I'm sorry
that
I can't see the worst in every person or situation like you can...

> Kinkead owes his customers an apology. By not giving a disclaimer,
> then by default EDEE is advertised as having an ai that is good
enough
> to play a fun game and that is simply a lie.

Maybe you should make a list of people that owe you apologies. Then you
can spend your day emailing them - probably be more productive than
your public griping...Add in the name of the exec who decided not to
fix the difficulty level bug in X-Com for me.
March 10, 2005 10:38:31 PM

Hi Paul, yeah it's good the ai is open. The problem is it's very very
complicated and there's no instructions. There are two parts to the open
ai, the script and the dll code (which takes someone who can program in
c++). Making a decent ai would require such a commitment it's realistically
not likely to happen.

Empire Deluxe and even Kinkead's remake have an ai that is, imo, good enough
to offer a fun game. Yeah, it isn't the sharpest tack but it's ok. This
new game has an ai that isn't so much dumb, it has specific flaws that make
it virtually unplayable.

<pauls2272@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "All it needs is an AI. If Kinkead doesn't do somethng
> it will start dying off in a few months and end up in a scrap heap.
> And
> that will be a shame. "
>
> Hmm, if the AI is open then eventually someone will play with it and
> fix it.
>
> So it is good that the AI is open and not embedded into the game code.
> At least there is the possibility that the game will one day really
> work.
>
> I haven't seen this latest version of Empire. I played Empire Deluxe
> years ago. I don't
> remember it being overly challenging even then.

March 15, 2005 6:48:51 AM

Rich, I don't know where you find that Empire Deluxe Enhanced Edition's AI
is so poor.

It is an excelent new version to an old classic. I think you are doing Mark
Kinkead and EDEE a disservive by your posts here.
April 6, 2005 4:19:12 PM

Well, you may think so but you're wrong. Even Mark Kinkead agreed the AI is
poor.
He said so on his forum. When I asked him if he was going to make a decent
AI for the game he refused because it would take him at least three months
of full time work. What a jerk. He just didn't want to bother. I put
together SoloMod for the game and it has a killer AI. It took me only one
weekend and I didn't have any idea what I was doing when I started. That,
or something like it, should have come with the game and Mark Kinkead did
the gaming community a disservice when it didn't.

news:D WsZd.22452$bh2.14965@fe2.texas.rr.com...

!