any 4x games coming out?

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Any more master of orion type games slated to come out soon? I been playing
moo2 alot lately and I didnt like space empires IV was kind of dull and moo3
was alright just lacked the fun of moo2 is moo2 the last of the great 4x
games?

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:52:47 -0600, "Anthony" <aevansjr3@cox.net> wrote:

>Any more master of orion type games slated to come out soon? I been playing
>moo2 alot lately and I didnt like space empires IV was kind of dull and moo3
>was alright just lacked the fun of moo2 is moo2 the last of the great 4x
>games?

Galactic Civilizations II, and possibly Supremacy. Other than that, I
haven't heard many other upcoming releases - either they haven't appeared
or on a more obscure site.

You could look into older games, to see if they are better.

"Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:52:47 -0600, "Anthony" <aevansjr3@cox.net> wrote:
>
> >Any more master of orion type games slated to come out soon?
>
> Galactic Civilizations II, and possibly Supremacy. Other than that, I
> haven't heard many other upcoming releases - either they haven't appeared
> or on a more obscure site.

I believe a "gold" version of the remake of reach for the stars is going to
be made available soon. That could scratch this itch as well.

dfs

Hmm, I wonder what the status of VGAPlanets is these days. I remember
playing version 2 or 3 a few years ago. I know they have been working
on a new version for many years. Anyway VGAPlanets is certainly a 4x
game. If you've never played it even the older version was fun and is
probably still being played somewhere on the net. It is not a single
player game like MOO2 or MOO3. There was no AI, you competed against
other players.

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

really a new stars? hmmm I may have to watch for that one

"Anthony" <aevansjr3@cox.net> wrote in message
> "David Short" <David.no.Short@Wright.spam.Edu.please> wrote in message
> > "Raymond Martineau" <bk039@ncf.ca> wrote in message
> >> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:52:47 -0600, "Anthony" <aevansjr3@cox.net> > >>
> >>
> >> Galactic Civilizations II, and possibly Supremacy. Other than that, I
> >> haven't heard many other upcoming releases - either they haven't
appeared
> >> or on a more obscure site.
> >
> > I believe a "gold" version of the remake of reach for the stars is going
> > be made available soon. That could scratch this itch as well.

> really a new stars? hmmm I may have to watch for that one

no, not stars!, but "reach for the stars."

Afaik the stars! guys lost their publisher and don't have a release date.
I don't know if they've given up on the project or if they don't own the IP
rights anymore.

dfs

magnate

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

pauls2272@yahoo.com wrote:
> Hmm, I wonder what the status of VGAPlanets is these days. I
remember
> playing version 2 or 3 a few years ago. I know they have been
working
> on a new version for many years. Anyway VGAPlanets is certainly a 4x
> game. If you've never played it even the older version was fun and
is
> probably still being played somewhere on the net. It is not a single
> player game like MOO2 or MOO3. There was no AI, you competed against
> other players.

WARNING: this is an INCREDIBLY addictive game. I've never really
understood why - it has average graphics (they were average when it
came out in about 1991!), negligible context/backstory, no AI, poor UI
and a fairly limited set of build & deployment orders. But somehow it's
the most compelling multiplayer space 4X I've ever played. It pretty
much wrecked my degree scores (with some help from Civ 1).

I've not tried version 4 - it's been in beta for about ten years now,
which must be some kind of record, but there are still plenty of people
playing version 3 as PBEM. Both the client and server side programs
were rewritten by the user community in the mid 90s and are greatly
improved. You want to look for a "phost" game (pronounced pee-host, the
server-side improvement), and I recommend the VPA client although there
are many to choose from (VPA runs very nicely under dosemu, and phost
runs in Linux too). Look on alt.games.vga-planets for help (there is a
separate group for VGAP4), or go to www.vgaplanets.com to buy it. Most
clients will look for a registered executable, though there is a
crippleware version to try before you buy.

Because v3 has been around for about 12 years now, there are a vast
number of mods and utils which can add a lot of value. New ship
designs, galactic maps, combat viewers and simulators etc. etc. The
game uses the Dom2 model for turn-based combat: all players' moves are
executed and then enemy ships in the same location will fight after
movement, and the combat replay ("VCR") is in your message list the
following turn. Given the chronology I should have said Dom2 borrows
the VGAP model, though Dom2 improves it a bit (some spells can result
in combat before movement etc.).

Thinking about the gestation of VGAP4, it's very interesting to compare
the reputation of VGAP creator Tim Wisseman with someone like Derek
Smart. Tim has carefully avoided setting and missing deadlines, getting
entangled with publishers, making a plonker of himself on usenet and
pissing off his potential customers. As a result, he's been working on
the next version of the game for over ten years, and you know what -
nobody minds!

CC

On 11 Mar 2005 05:42:13 -0800, "magnate" <chrisc@dbass.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

>WARNING: this is an INCREDIBLY addictive game. I've never really
>understood why - it has average graphics (they were average when it
>came out in about 1991!), negligible context/backstory, no AI, poor UI
>and a fairly limited set of build & deployment orders. But somehow it's
>the most compelling multiplayer space 4X I've ever played. It pretty
>much wrecked my degree scores (with some help from Civ 1).
>
>I've not tried version 4 - it's been in beta for about ten years now,
>which must be some kind of record, but there are still plenty of people
>playing version 3 as PBEM. Both the client and server side programs
>were rewritten by the user community in the mid 90s and are greatly
>improved. You want to look for a "phost" game (pronounced pee-host, the
>server-side improvement), and I recommend the VPA client although there
>are many to choose from (VPA runs very nicely under dosemu, and phost
>runs in Linux too). Look on alt.games.vga-planets for help (there is a
>separate group for VGAP4), or go to www.vgaplanets.com to buy it. Most
>clients will look for a registered executable, though there is a
>crippleware version to try before you buy.
>
>Because v3 has been around for about 12 years now, there are a vast
>number of mods and utils which can add a lot of value. New ship
>designs, galactic maps, combat viewers and simulators etc. etc. The
>game uses the Dom2 model for turn-based combat: all players' moves are
>executed and then enemy ships in the same location will fight after
>movement, and the combat replay ("VCR") is in your message list the
>following turn. Given the chronology I should have said Dom2 borrows
>the VGAP model, though Dom2 improves it a bit (some spells can result
>in combat before movement etc.).
>
>Thinking about the gestation of VGAP4, it's very interesting to compare
>the reputation of VGAP creator Tim Wisseman with someone like Derek
>Smart. Tim has carefully avoided setting and missing deadlines, getting
>entangled with publishers, making a plonker of himself on usenet and
>pissing off his potential customers. As a result, he's been working on
>the next version of the game for over ten years, and you know what -
>nobody minds!
>
>CC

I played version 3 a number of years ago. I recently got back into it
playing version 4. Its still in beta, but very playable with a number
of people hosting games.

It still doesn't have great graphics, the learning curve is steep, but
I really am enjoying it.

I must say that Stars! never grabbed me. I played it a number of
times, and just never really enjoyed it.

I know people who will swear its the best 4x game out there. Just
differences of opinion, I guess.

The truth of the matter is, that both of them (Stars! and VGAP) are
definitely strategic games. Both can take months to play in
multiplayer mode, and offer a lot of diplomacy and depth of play.

Mac

> Any more master of orion type games slated to come out soon? I been
playing
> moo2 alot lately and I didnt like space empires IV was kind of dull and
moo3
> was alright just lacked the fun of moo2 is moo2 the last of the great 4x
> games?

I've heard of RTS type game. But what's 4x?

"OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in message

> "Anthony" <aevansjr3@cox.net> wrote in message
> > Any more master of orion type games slated to come out soon? I been
> playing
> > moo2 alot lately and I didnt like space empires IV was kind of dull and
> moo3
> > was alright just lacked the fun of moo2 is moo2 the last of the great 4x
> > games?
> >

> I've heard of RTS type game. But what's 4x?

Never mind. I didn't think that I would find "4x" with google search.
But darn if it isn't there in B/W.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/games/strategic/pc/

"Although many of the aforementioned games may fall into the 4X category,
it is usually reserved for games like Sid Meier's Civilization
(Microprose) , Master of Orion (Microprose), and 7 Kingdoms (Imagic Games).
The term 4X stands for, eXplore,
eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate. Whoever it was who coined the term
unfortunately left the word out "research," a mechanism a lot of 4X games
use."

Shadows

Distinguished
May 2, 2003

On 2005-03-22, OldDog <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:

> Never mind. I didn't think that I would find "4x" with google search.
> But darn if it isn't there in B/W.
>
> http://www.faqs.org/faqs/games/strategic/pc/
>
> "Although many of the aforementioned games may fall into the 4X category,
> it is usually reserved for games like Sid Meier's Civilization
> (Microprose) , Master of Orion (Microprose), and 7 Kingdoms (Imagic Games).
> The term 4X stands for, eXplore,
> eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate. Whoever it was who coined the term
> unfortunately left the word out "research," a mechanism a lot of 4X games
> use."

Wow, I wrote that FAQ eons ago. Amazing its still relevant.