Hafler P225 amp repair help

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
March 3, 2005 5:52:12 AM

Got this from Hafler after contacting them about a P225 repair.

> Thanks for contacting us. Sorry but unfortunately we do not repair or
> have any parts for that unit any longer. Please contact one of the
> following repair centers, they might be able to help you out.
>
> Landis Technical(NC): 704-575-2134
> Davidsons(NY): 516-753-0197
> Scan Audio(CA): 818-786-4240
> Wizard Electronics(GA): 404-325-4891
> Audio Electronics(TX): 214-349-5000
> Northwest Audio Labs(OR): 541-753-0472
> Cabletech(CANADA): 604-942-1001

I've been sitting on this amp for months now, but it's time to get it
fixed. My local tech, who knows his she-ut, says all it needs is to
replace 4 or 5 bad output transistors, some mosfets that he can't get
his hands on.

I called Davidsons months back, as I think they bought all the old
Hafler parts, and they said $150 to $200 minimum for them to do the
repair. They won't sell the parts.

Anyway, can any of you recommend a source for the output transistors,
or any of the above?

Thanks.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com
www.CelebrationSound.com

More about : hafler p225 amp repair

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 5:52:13 AM

"david" <ihate@spamo.com> wrote in message
> Got this from Hafler after contacting them about a P225 repair.
>

>> Thanks for contacting us. Sorry but unfortunately we do not repair or
>> have any parts for that unit any longer. Please contact one of the
>> following repair centers, they might be able to help you out.
>>
>> Landis Technical(NC): 704-575-2134
>> Davidsons(NY): 516-753-0197
>> Scan Audio(CA): 818-786-4240
>> Wizard Electronics(GA): 404-325-4891
>> Audio Electronics(TX): 214-349-5000
>> Northwest Audio Labs(OR): 541-753-0472
>> Cabletech(CANADA): 604-942-1001
>

> I've been sitting on this amp for months now, but it's time to get it
> fixed. My local tech, who knows his she-ut, says all it needs is to
> replace 4 or 5 bad output transistors, some mosfets that he can't get
> his hands on.
>
> I called Davidsons months back, as I think they bought all the old
> Hafler parts, and they said $150 to $200 minimum for them to do the
> repair. They won't sell the parts.
>
> Anyway, can any of you recommend a source for the output transistors,
> or any of the above?
>
> Thanks.
>

> David Correia
> Celebration Sound
> Warren, Rhode Island
>
> CelebrationSound@aol.com
> www.CelebrationSound.com

Hi David.

I have used Audio Electronics in Dallas for several years. If you call on
them, please tell Susanna I recommended them to you. You might also try DBM
Pro Audio in Manhattan - they do a great job with amps, and they are quite a
bit closer to you. John Frondelli is the guy to ask at DBM.

Do you have a spec on the output IC? Digi-key and Mouser are pretty good
sources, and I have had luck finding some discontinued items at Allied
http://www.allied-elec.com

Good luck on this.

Jim Savery
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 11:22:15 AM

david <ihate@spamo.com> wrote:

>I called Davidsons months back, as I think they bought all the old
>Hafler parts, and they said $150 to $200 minimum for them to do the
>repair. They won't sell the parts.
>
>Anyway, can any of you recommend a source for the output transistors,
>or any of the above?

No, you can't get them. I think this is one of the Hafler amplifiers that
were designed around some Hitachi MOSFETS that were really beautiful for
audio applications and since have been discontinued.

They are different enough from conventional parts that I don't think you'll
be able to make anything else work without some considerable modification.
--scott
March 4, 2005 3:42:23 AM

"Scott Dorsey"

>>I called Davidsons months back, as I think they bought all the old
>>Hafler parts, and they said $150 to $200 minimum for them to do the
>>repair. They won't sell the parts.
>>
>>Anyway, can any of you recommend a source for the output transistors,
>>or any of the above?
>
> No, you can't get them.

** There are sources on the net offering those Hitachi fets for sale :

http://www.ampslab.com/trans_2sk176.htm

http://www.sound-smith.com/fets/

> I think this is one of the Hafler amplifiers that
> were designed around some Hitachi MOSFETS that were really beautiful for
> audio applications and since have been discontinued.

** There are close equivalents made by Semelab, also sold as Exicon.

BUX901 and BUZ 906 plus ECF10N20 and ECF10P20

> They are different enough from conventional parts that I don't think
> you'll
> be able to make anything else work without some considerable modification.

** The Semelab devices can be used as drop in replacements.

............... Phil
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 3:42:24 AM

Phil Allison <philallison@tpg.com.au> wrote:

>** There are close equivalents made by Semelab, also sold as Exicon.
>
> BUX901 and BUZ 906 plus ECF10N20 and ECF10P20

MANY thanks, Phil! I've got a call into them right now. I'd love to put
these on the curve tracer... if there is any chance of long-term availability
and if they are anything like the original Hitachis, I can see using these
in new designs.
--scott

March 4, 2005 3:42:25 AM

The best lateral MOSFETs to use in any Hafler of that period are Hitachi 2SK176 & 2SJ56, which
are still available from Sound Values, at least in their ebay store.

--
Stephen Sank, Owner & Ribbon Mic Restorer
Talking Dog Transducer Company
"Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message news:D 07712$6rv$1@panix2.panix.com...
> Phil Allison <philallison@tpg.com.au> wrote:
> >
> >** There are close equivalents made by Semelab, also sold as Exicon.
> >
> > BUX901 and BUZ 906 plus ECF10N20 and ECF10P20
>
> MANY thanks, Phil! I've got a call into them right now. I'd love to put
> these on the curve tracer... if there is any chance of long-term availability
> and if they are anything like the original Hitachis, I can see using these
> in new designs.
> --scott

March 4, 2005 2:38:22 PM

"Scott Dorsey"
> Phil Allison
>>
>>** There are close equivalents made by Semelab, also sold as Exicon.
>>
>> BUX901 and BUZ 906 plus ECF10N20 and ECF10P20
>
> MANY thanks, Phil! I've got a call into them right now. I'd love to put
> these on the curve tracer... if there is any chance of long-term
> availability
> and if they are anything like the original Hitachis, I can see using these
> in new designs.

** Semelab's factory in Scotland have been making and supplying TO3 pack
mosfets that are near identical to the Hitachi TO3 audio fets for well over
10 years. There were originally intended for military and industrial
applications but when Hitachi quit the TO3 pack many FET amp makers went
over to them - many commercial power amplifiers use them.

........... Phil
March 6, 2005 3:51:15 AM

In article <d082if$9ip$1@reader2.nmix.net>, Stephen Sank
<bk11@thuntek.net> wrote:

> The best lateral MOSFETs to use in any Hafler of that period are Hitachi
> 2SK176 & 2SJ56, which
> are still available from Sound Values, at least in their ebay store.
>
> --
> Stephen Sank, Owner & Ribbon Mic Restorer
> Talking Dog Transducer Company
> http://stephensank.com
> 5517 Carmelita Drive N.E.
> Albuquerque, New Mexico [87111]
> 505-332-0336
> Auth. Nakamichi & McIntosh servicer
> Payments preferred through Paypal.com
> "Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
> news:D 07712$6rv$1@panix2.panix.com...
> > Phil Allison <philallison@tpg.com.au> wrote:
> > >
> > >** There are close equivalents made by Semelab, also sold as Exicon.
> > >
> > > BUX901 and BUZ 906 plus ECF10N20 and ECF10P20
> >
> > MANY thanks, Phil! I've got a call into them right now. I'd love to put
> > these on the curve tracer... if there is any chance of long-term
> > availability
> > and if they are anything like the original Hitachis, I can see using these
> > in new designs.
> > --scott
> >

> > --
> > "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

To Scott, Phil and/or Stephen,

Thanks for your assistance.

My broken Hafler P225's has four mosfets with the designation QP112 and
4 QN112's. (Each also has a 4 digit # underneath these numbers, that
begins with 84 and ends with 13, 43, 39, 17, 26 - e.g QP112/8426.)

I looked in the schematic for the model DH-220 (which I assume is
mostly the same of the P225) and it references the QP112 with a 2SJ49
and the QN112 with 2SK134

I wanted to order the right chips for my tech. Are the above Hitachi
#'s above interchangeable with these guys?

Same question for the 4 Semelab/Exicon clone chips numbers that Phil
came up with.

Lastly, how comfortable would y'all be sticking dem clones in there, as
they must cost less than the Hitachi's.

I'd like to surprise my tech with the parts. Thanks for your help!

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com
www.CelebrationSound.com
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 3:51:16 AM

The 2SK176 & 2SJ56 are higher current & voltage, but otherwise identical performance to the
2SK134/2SJ49 & are the best subs to use. Also, the price, at least of a batch of 8 of each,
from Sound Values currently is substantially cheaper than the Exicon replacements, which I
cannot confirm are good or not.
It should be noted that even the old QN numbered mosfets are extremely hard to damage. It is
most extremely rare to need to replace even one in any Hafler amp. So, be sure they are
actually needed before you blow the money on replacements. The P225/DH220/DH200 usually only
need repairs to the front end circuits, usually just one or two resistors or small signal
transistors.

--
"david" <ihate@spamo.com> wrote in message news:060320050051153210%ihate@spamo.com...
> In article <d082if$9ip$1@reader2.nmix.net>, Stephen Sank
> <bk11@thuntek.net> wrote:
>
> > The best lateral MOSFETs to use in any Hafler of that period are Hitachi
> > 2SK176 & 2SJ56, which
> > are still available from Sound Values, at least in their ebay store.
> >
> > --
> > Stephen Sank, Owner & Ribbon Mic Restorer
> > Talking Dog Transducer Company
> > http://stephensank.com
> > 5517 Carmelita Drive N.E.
> > Albuquerque, New Mexico [87111]
> > 505-332-0336
> > Auth. Nakamichi & McIntosh servicer
> > Payments preferred through Paypal.com
> > "Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
> > news:D 07712$6rv$1@panix2.panix.com...

> > > MANY thanks, Phil! I've got a call into them right now. I'd love to put
> > > these on the curve tracer... if there is any chance of long-term
> > > availability
> > > and if they are anything like the original Hitachis, I can see using these
> > > in new designs.
> > > --scott
> > >

> > > --
> > > "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."
>

> To Scott, Phil and/or Stephen,
>

> Thanks for your assistance.
>
> My broken Hafler P225's has four mosfets with the designation QP112 and
> 4 QN112's. (Each also has a 4 digit # underneath these numbers, that
> begins with 84 and ends with 13, 43, 39, 17, 26 - e.g QP112/8426.)
>
> I looked in the schematic for the model DH-220 (which I assume is
> mostly the same of the P225) and it references the QP112 with a 2SJ49
> and the QN112 with 2SK134
>
> I wanted to order the right chips for my tech. Are the above Hitachi
> #'s above interchangeable with these guys?
>
> Same question for the 4 Semelab/Exicon clone chips numbers that Phil
> came up with.
>
> Lastly, how comfortable would y'all be sticking dem clones in there, as
> they must cost less than the Hitachi's.
>
> I'd like to surprise my tech with the parts. Thanks for your help!
>

> David Correia
> Celebration Sound
> Warren, Rhode Island
>
> CelebrationSound@aol.com
> www.CelebrationSound.com
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 9:30:37 PM

"david"

> To Scott, Phil and/or Stephen,

> My broken Hafler P225's has four mosfets with the designation QP112 and
> 4 QN112's. (Each also has a 4 digit # underneath these numbers, that
> begins with 84 and ends with 13, 43, 39, 17, 26 - e.g QP112/8426.)
>
> I looked in the schematic for the model DH-220 (which I assume is
> mostly the same of the P225) and it references the QP112 with a 2SJ49
> and the QN112 with 2SK134
>
> I wanted to order the right chips for my tech. Are the above Hitachi
> #'s above interchangeable with these guys?
>
> Same question for the 4 Semelab/Exicon clone chips numbers that Phil
> came up with.
>
> Lastly, how comfortable would y'all be sticking dem clones in there, as
> they must cost less than the Hitachi's.
>
> I'd like to surprise my tech with the parts. Thanks for your help!

** DONT !!!

Chances are NONE of the mosfets are faulty - or only one.

They are extraordinarily rugged and last practically for ever.

!