Sign in with
Your question

Battle : 1.5GB PC2700 vs 1GB PC2700 Dual DDR?

Tags:
  • Memory
  • DDR
Last response: in Memory
April 2, 2003 6:24:51 PM

Hi all!

I have a question for anyone who is willing to tackle it. I'm in the process of building a new system and should have it done in the next few days. I bought an Epox EP-8RDA+ mobo, an Athlon XP 2200+ (1.80Ghz) CPU, a Radeon 9700Pro vid card, and 3x 512MB Samsung PC2700 RAM. It didn't hit me until the parts arrived that I could only run 2 sticks of ram in Dual DDR on this motherboard. My question to the public is...

- Should I run 2x 512 (1GB) of Dual DDR PC2700 and leave out the 3rd stick?

- Or run 3x 512 (1.5GB) and forget about running it in dual DDR mode?

The system is going to be used for a variety of games/applications running on winXPPro including:

- heavy Adobe/Macromedia design use
- heavy sound editing/recording use
- medium 3D modling/rendering use
- medium gaming (quake3/doom3/ut2003/etc) use

I plan on running some benchmarks once I have everything put together. Just wondering if anyone has any insight for me beforehand. I want to get the most out of my ram. :) 

Thanks in advance!
Walker Evans
walker@blender.net

More about : battle 5gb pc2700 1gb pc2700 dual ddr

April 2, 2003 6:29:06 PM

I would stick with running in dual mode. You can defenitely use the higher bandwidth.. as for the extra 512 of ram... return it if you can.. once you hit 1 gig.. windows can no longer deal efficienctly with your memory so it will really be a waste... unless you are running linux of some kind...

To err is human... to really screw things up you need a computer!
April 2, 2003 6:40:58 PM

Cool. Thanks for the advice. I'll probably just pop that extra stick of ram in another system instead of returning it. :) 
Related resources
April 2, 2003 10:54:24 PM

Check that your RAM is OK in Dual DDR mode first - you may end up having to replace ALL your RAM with Corsair TWINX matched RAM (expensive!), if the experiences of many on this board are anything to go by!!!

Red-3 Standing by...
April 3, 2003 1:55:05 AM

I seriously doubt that... if the ram is the same type and size then it should work fine...

April 4, 2003 5:03:29 AM

Oh, it happens... my friend definitely bought a couple of sticks of 400 from Crucial and when in dual channel they crapped out at around 392...
April 4, 2003 1:16:11 PM

Thanks everyone. I'll test them out in Dual DDR and see if they work. If they don't, I'll stick with them in single mode for now.

Walker
April 4, 2003 9:58:52 PM

People check what he is going to do.
Not only gaming!!!!!!!
go with 1,5 GB
movie editing, sound editing, 3d modeling is area's where you can't get enough RAM. had it been only gaming i'd agree with 1gb only. But for the rest of the stuff i'd shove in 512MB more if there was the possibility
April 5, 2003 8:53:48 PM

Well yes. but i would argue that windows has very poor memory management once you hit 1 gig. It maybe be beneficial but not that much...

!