Using BitTorrent from the Underdogs

Sorry about the Subject line above....:(

I've been trying to use BitTorrent to download Panzer Generals form The
Underdogs.

This is the first time I've used BitTorrent so I'm on a fairly steep
learning curve.

After entering the alphanumeric code on The Underdogs, I save the
BitTorrent file (panzergen.zip)to the desktop and then open it. An error
message appears (Cannot start another torrent with the same contents
(infohash) as an existing one), and I press OK. Simultaneously, a new
Winzip file (panzergen)has appeared on the desktop.

If I delete the Winzip file, and then try to reopen the BitTorrent file,
the same thing happens.

This is the log file:

[2005-03-11 19:13:22] -- BitTorrent started --
[2005-03-11 19:13:23] (global message) : Cannot start another torrent
with the same contents (infohash) as an existing one
[2005-03-11 19:13:47] log saved

The same thing happens if I instead open the BitTorrent file, rather
than save it to the desktop first.

I have also saved this log file, but have not been able to repeat it.

[2005-03-11 18:59:58] -- BitTorrent started --
[2005-03-11 18:59:58] (global message) : Cannot start another torrent
with the same contents (infohash) as an existing one
[2005-03-11 19:00:29] (global message) : Version check failed: DNS query
failed
[2005-03-11 19:01:55] log saved

Ideas anyone??

TIA Stupot

Stuart Chapman skrev:

>Sorry about the Subject line above....:(

>I've been trying to use BitTorrent to download Panzer Generals form The
>Underdogs.
>
>This is the first time I've used BitTorrent so I'm on a fairly steep
>learning curve.
>
>After entering the alphanumeric code on The Underdogs, I save the
>BitTorrent file (panzergen.zip) to the desktop and then open it.

The filename for the torrent file should be (something).torrent, for
example panzergen.zip.torrent or panzergen.torrent.

>An error
>message appears (Cannot start another torrent with the same contents
>(infohash) as an existing one), and I press OK. Simultaneously, a new
>Winzip file (panzergen)has appeared on the desktop.

Which bitttorrent client are you using?

Try to
- remove any and all downloads visible in the client.
- delete all zip-files you have started to download
- make sure the torrent file does not have the same name as the file
you will download with it.

If this doesn't help, and nobody else replies either, you might have
better luck asking in some more bittorrent-related group.

--
Riktig sitering gjør meldingene dine lettere å lese:
< url: http://home.online.no/~vidaandr/news/OBSquoting.html >

"Stuart Chapman" <moc.dnopgib@nampahc.trauts> wrote in message
> Sorry about the Subject line above....:(
>

> I've been trying to use BitTorrent to download Panzer Generals form The
> Underdogs.
>
> This is the first time I've used BitTorrent so I'm on a fairly steep
> learning curve.
>
> After entering the alphanumeric code on The Underdogs, I save the
> BitTorrent file (panzergen.zip)to the desktop and then open it. An error
> message appears (Cannot start another torrent with the same contents
> (infohash) as an existing one), and I press OK. Simultaneously, a new
> Winzip file (panzergen)has appeared on the desktop.
>
> If I delete the Winzip file, and then try to reopen the BitTorrent file,
> the same thing happens.
>
> This is the log file:
>
> [2005-03-11 19:13:22] -- BitTorrent started --
> [2005-03-11 19:13:23] (global message) : Cannot start another torrent with
> the same contents (infohash) as an existing one
> [2005-03-11 19:13:47] log saved
>

> The same thing happens if I instead open the BitTorrent file, rather than
> save it to the desktop first.
>
> I have also saved this log file, but have not been able to repeat it.
>
> [2005-03-11 18:59:58] -- BitTorrent started --
> [2005-03-11 18:59:58] (global message) : Cannot start another torrent with
> the same contents (infohash) as an existing one
> [2005-03-11 19:00:29] (global message) : Version check failed: DNS query
> failed
> [2005-03-11 19:01:55] log saved
>

> Ideas anyone??
>
> TIA Stupot

What client are yuo using? Azureus is recommended.

I downloaded the same torrent "panzergen.zip.torrent" as a test and when
double clicked azureus asked me where I wanted to download and then
proceeded to download the file. Be advised there was no seed when I tried
and the peers were giving me a speed of around 1.5kps

Les Steel wrote:

> What client are yuo using? Azureus is recommended.
>
> I downloaded the same torrent "panzergen.zip.torrent" as a test and when
> double clicked azureus asked me where I wanted to download and then
> proceeded to download the file. Be advised there was no seed when I tried
> and the peers were giving me a speed of around 1.5kps

Client?? I was just using the BitTorrent program from
www.bittorrent.com. I was unaware there were clients, but I have
downloaded Azureus to give that a go.

Stupot

> Les Steel wrote:
>

>> What client are yuo using? Azureus is recommended.
>>
>> I downloaded the same torrent "panzergen.zip.torrent" as a test and when
>> double clicked azureus asked me where I wanted to download and then
>> proceeded to download the file. Be advised there was no seed when I tried
>> and the peers were giving me a speed of around 1.5kps
>
> Client?? I was just using the BitTorrent program from www.bittorrent.com.
> I was unaware there were clients, but I have downloaded Azureus to give
> that a go.
>
> Stupot

hope it works better for you. I must admit I was slightly drunk when I
posted earlier. I actually just remembered I downloaded a freeware remake of
the classic "Dizzy" games while in the underdogs site. Must go play it!

Stuart Chapman skrev:

>Client?? I was just using the BitTorrent program from
>www.bittorrent.com. I was unaware there were clients, but I have
>downloaded Azureus to give that a go.

Bittorrent is two things: A protocol, and one specific client
implementing that protocol. The program you have downloaded from
bitttorrent.com is one client. There are other programs implementing
the same protocol.

--

Johan Poppe wrote:
> Stuart Chapman skrev:
>

>>Client?? I was just using the BitTorrent program from
>>www.bittorrent.com. I was unaware there were clients, but I have
>>downloaded Azureus to give that a go.
>

> Bittorrent is two things: A protocol, and one specific client
> implementing that protocol. The program you have downloaded from
> bitttorrent.com is one client. There are other programs implementing
> the same protocol.

Yeah, I realise that know. This is the first time I've ever used
BitTorrent so I was learning the ropes. Anyway I downloaded Aureus and
it seems a far superior program. It downloaded Panzer Generals with no
problems.

Cheers, Stupot