Trouble installing Total Annihilation

At the end of the install I get the message "Install Failed! Unable to find
readme.txt".

I have XP Home SP2. This never happened the last time I installed it (a few
months ago, when I had SP1). Any help would be appreciated.
11 answers Last reply
More about trouble installing total annihilation
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "HangNail" <hangnail@fakehome.com> wrote in message
    > At the end of the install I get the message "Install Failed! Unable to
    find
    > readme.txt".
    >
    > I have XP Home SP2. This never happened the last time I installed it (a
    few
    > months ago, when I had SP1). Any help would be appreciated.

    SP2 is da debil. It's probably the reason that you're having trouble. I
    wish I could help you fix it, but I never reinstalled service pack 2 after I
    wiped my hard drive and started fresh (because nothing worked).

    Sorry :(
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "HangNail" <hangnail@fakehome.com> wrote in message
    > At the end of the install I get the message "Install Failed! Unable to
    > find readme.txt".
    >
    > I have XP Home SP2. This never happened the last time I installed it (a
    > few months ago, when I had SP1). Any help would be appreciated.

    No trouble here installing Total Annihilation or The Core Contingency on my
    Windows XP Pro SP2 box. Maybe something went wrong with your TA disc? I
    hope you're able to get to the bottom of things.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    NightSky 421 wrote:
    > "HangNail" <hangnail@fakehome.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>At the end of the install I get the message "Install Failed! Unable to
    >>find readme.txt".
    >>
    >>I have XP Home SP2. This never happened the last time I installed it (a
    >>few months ago, when I had SP1). Any help would be appreciated.
    >

    > No trouble here installing Total Annihilation or The Core Contingency on my
    > Windows XP Pro SP2 box. Maybe something went wrong with your TA disc? I
    > hope you're able to get to the bottom of things.

    You should be able to browse your Total Annihilation disk and read any
    readme files it contains. Are you sure the progam is install but
    just missing the readme file ? Total Annihilation should work with any
    Windows platform including Windows 2000.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "Melketh" <abcdef@ghijk.com> once tried to test me with:

    > "HangNail" <hangnail@fakehome.com> wrote in message
    >> At the end of the install I get the message "Install Failed! Unable
    > find
    >> readme.txt".
    >>
    >> I have XP Home SP2. This never happened the last time I installed it
    >> (a
    > few
    >> months ago, when I had SP1). Any help would be appreciated.
    >>

    > SP2 is da debil. It's probably the reason that you're having trouble.
    > I wish I could help you fix it, but I never reinstalled service pack
    > 2 after I wiped my hard drive and started fresh (because nothing
    > worked).

    BZZZT. Wrong answer. Thanks for playing.

    Just because you had a bad experience with SP2 once does not mean that is
    what is causing this person's troubles with TA, as much as you might like
    to believe that.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message

    > Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com

    I may not like Steam, but I do like your blogs. A lot of time and effort
    obviously went into them and I think they have a very overall professional
    appearance. Good work! I enjoyed checking 'em out.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "NightSky 421" <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> once tried to test me with:

    > "Knight37" <knight37m@email.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com
    >>

    > I may not like Steam, but I do like your blogs. A lot of time and
    > effort obviously went into them and I think they have a very overall
    > professional appearance. Good work! I enjoyed checking 'em out.

    Thanks! It's actually not that hard. www.blogger.com is where you go to set
    up a blog and it automates most of the HTML stuff. You can customize it
    though, if you want to. Doing screenshots is only slightly more work
    because you have to host them on another source, for example I use
    imageshack to host mine. Then you link to them from your blog entry.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    > Thanks! It's actually not that hard. www.blogger.com is where you go to
    > set
    > up a blog and it automates most of the HTML stuff. You can customize it
    > though, if you want to. Doing screenshots is only slightly more work
    > because you have to host them on another source, for example I use
    > imageshack to host mine. Then you link to them from your blog entry.

    That's pretty cool. I'd start a blog myself (two people I know have a blog
    at the same site), but I already have my own website from before. I don't
    feel inclined to get involved with having two things going at once! Again,
    though, a good job on your part!
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "Melketh" <abcdef@ghijk.com> once tried to test me with:

    > Cool :) I can use that, my car hasn't been waxed in over a year. Hey,
    > I respect you and don't want to get into a flame war over this. yeah
    > people get it to work, and other people don't. It's merely a
    > suggestion/observation that I made with the given information.

    I think a lot of people have bad experiences with SP2 because they have
    certain programs that do not work due to SP2's stricter memory protection.
    In SP1 a program can "accidentally" (or in the case of a trojan,
    intentionally) overwrite executable code regions with their own code (or
    just random data that when executed would just crash or do goofy things).
    If that new code has virus/trojan code in it, you're infected. SP2
    introduces NX support (no execute) which allows compatible processors to
    mark areas of memory as non-executable, which helps reduce security leaks
    using the above methods.

    If you want to read about all the security enhancements SP2 introduced
    (many of which can cause problems for apps that do not behave properly)
    then you can read about them here:

    http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6264_11-5222856.html#

    A quote:

    "I expect to hear screams of pain as people deploy SP2 and discover that
    legacy applications no longer work, but those are probably the same people
    who complain so loudly (and legitimately) that Microsoft doesn’t deploy
    secure systems.

    Nearly every security expert knew that, at some point, Microsoft would be
    forced to bite the bullet and take a big compatibility hit in order to
    solidify operating system soft spots—many of which are due to legacy code
    support. Plus, the XP SP2 changes will force developers to produce more
    secure applications and not just take advantage of a permissive Windows OS
    to write code that doesn't pay attention to security."

    Note that SP2 still has security vulnerabilities. But they're at least
    working toward fixing them and SP2 is a step in the right direction.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    > "Melketh" <abcdef@ghijk.com> once tried to test me with:
    >
    > > Cool :) I can use that, my car hasn't been waxed in over a year. Hey,
    > > I respect you and don't want to get into a flame war over this. yeah
    > > people get it to work, and other people don't. It's merely a
    > > suggestion/observation that I made with the given information.
    > >

    > I think a lot of people have bad experiences with SP2 because they have
    > certain programs that do not work due to SP2's stricter memory protection.
    > In SP1 a program can "accidentally" (or in the case of a trojan,
    > intentionally) overwrite executable code regions with their own code (or
    > just random data that when executed would just crash or do goofy things).
    > If that new code has virus/trojan code in it, you're infected. SP2
    > introduces NX support (no execute) which allows compatible processors to
    > mark areas of memory as non-executable, which helps reduce security leaks
    > using the above methods.
    >
    > If you want to read about all the security enhancements SP2 introduced
    > (many of which can cause problems for apps that do not behave properly)
    > then you can read about them here:
    >
    > http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6264_11-5222856.html#
    >
    > A quote:
    >
    > "I expect to hear screams of pain as people deploy SP2 and discover that
    > legacy applications no longer work, but those are probably the same people
    > who complain so loudly (and legitimately) that Microsoft doesn't deploy
    > secure systems.
    >
    > Nearly every security expert knew that, at some point, Microsoft would be
    > forced to bite the bullet and take a big compatibility hit in order to
    > solidify operating system soft spots-many of which are due to legacy code
    > support. Plus, the XP SP2 changes will force developers to produce more
    > secure applications and not just take advantage of a permissive Windows OS
    > to write code that doesn't pay attention to security."
    >
    > Note that SP2 still has security vulnerabilities. But they're at least
    > working toward fixing them and SP2 is a step in the right direction.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Knight37 - http://knightgames.blogspot.com
    >
    > Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.

    Excellent, I'll give that a read. Thanks!
  10. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    "HangNail" <hangnail@fakehome.com> once tried to test me with:

    > At the end of the install I get the message "Install Failed! Unable
    > to find readme.txt".
    >
    > I have XP Home SP2. This never happened the last time I installed it
    > (a few months ago, when I had SP1). Any help would be appreciated.

    I just installed TA from the original CD's and it worked fine under SP2.

    Once a Gamer, Always a Gamer.
  11. had a problem with it for a while too
    just copy whole cd to a harddrive and and change README.txt to lowcase =]

PC gaming Games IBM Windows XP Video Games