RTW: Old I know, but about Equites

Ok, maybe not so old, but has anyone else noticed, that unpatched, you can
win the game with light cavalry?

Does the Rome Total Realisim patch fix that? Dont really mind I guess
though, nothing like seeing those infantry bodies go flying as the cavalry
charge in :)

Ceo-

morgan

> Ok, maybe not so old, but has anyone else noticed, that unpatched, you can
> win the game with light cavalry?
>
> Does the Rome Total Realism patch fix that? Don't really mind I guess
> though, nothing like seeing those infantry bodies go flying as the cavalry
> charge in :)

You could try and play the SPQR mod which states............

"2. Cavalry is Useless in SPQR, use it for attacking the rear and sides of a
unit, also use it for scouting and chasing routers."

Obviously there is a lot more to the mod than that (like recruiting up to 9
units in one turn) and I am playing a campaign with it now. Version 2 of the
mod has been released and if you get it you MUST make sure that you get the
latest (1.21) version of the CVP pack and after the SPQR 2.0 has been
installed then update it with the CVP pack. It is best to play with huge
unit sizes, or large at the least, otherwise you can end up with population
issues within your cities, which can be lessened by not building farms etc -
although Lt1956 (the author) has reduced the effects of squalor, but you do
need a good PC spec to run with all the highest settings and huge units on
the battlefield.
Also a good combination of mods is achieved by using Linedogs 2.3 New
Provinces mod as well as the CVP (Cherry Vanilla Pack) 1.21 as they work
perfectly well together and resolve many of the issues and problems that CA
have not got around to fixing in the official 1.2 RTW patch as well has
having many more provinces to play with.
The latest RTR 5.4 - I have not noticed that the cavalry suffers much in
their ability to charge and smash away at the flanks or the rear of a unit
but then again attack a unit of Greek phalanx from the front and you will
not do it twice. But, for me, I can't really get used to the way that RTR
makes you play the game. With their ZOR, Generals on foot, no Roman archers
etc etc etc I am not bothered at all about historical accuracy and the more
that they implement changes that reflect that the less "fun" for me that the
game is to play. In fact because of the huge amount of new provinces and the
slow pace of the game, compared to SPQR, I find that a single campaign seems
to take forever at a very slow pace, but maybe that is fun for some people.

--
Best wishes

Morgan

Hard drive noisy...?
www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

Ceowulf wrote:
> Ok, maybe not so old, but has anyone else noticed, that unpatched, you can
> win the game with light cavalry?
>
> Does the Rome Total Realisim patch fix that? Dont really mind I guess
> though, nothing like seeing those infantry bodies go flying as the cavalry
> charge in :)
>
> Ceo-

You cannot win the game using light cavalry with Rome: Total Realism.

Just make sure you make a copy of your data folder prior to installing
in case you're not happy with the mod.

Anyone looking for it:
http://www.rometotalrealism.com