Sprint mobile phone prices

Last response: in Network Providers
November 14, 2004 2:07:34 PM

Hello,

Can anyone give me their opinion on this situation?

My two year contract with Sprint is finished next month. Sprint sent
me a coupon for $150 towards one new phone. I have two phones on the
account.
I went to the store and decided on two new Samsung A680 phones. The
price was
$129 with a two year contract.

When I gave my order and the coupon to the sales clerk, she said.
"The real price is $279. So, your coupon will bring the price down to
$129 for one phone.
On the second phone, you will pay $279." I replied that "No, I will
not pay
$279 for one of the phones. I will sign another 2 year contract"

I got nowhere. Her manager simply repeated her words.

Is this Sprint's policy? Is it true that Sprint charges their
customers $279
for the same phone that it charges new people $129? And expects them
to sign a two year contract.

In truth, this is the first time in two years that I have been unhappy
with Sprint service. But this will be a dealbreaker.

Thanks for your opinion
Stacy
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 11:46:58 PM

In article <a3648114.0411141107.5dcfcb82@posting.google.com>, c-
t@rocketmail.com says...
> Is this Sprint's policy? Is it true that Sprint charges their
> customers $279
> for the same phone that it charges new people $129? And expects them
> to sign a two year contract.

That's not the *whole* story. But, at the store counter, that's the
basic truth. Existing customers qualify for rebates under varying
conditions, such as 18 months under the "New for You" upgrade program,
but the rebate is *not* instant. It's mail-in. So, at the store
counter, you still pay full price. The rebate comes in the mail some 8-
12 weeks later.

But that only applies if both lines qualify for the discount. Based on
your description, one of the lines did not.

--
RØß
O/Siris

Why wouldn't both phones qualify?

Sprint's policy seems to be akin to a car dealership saying that,
since you purchased a car from them two years earlier, you must pay
list price for a new car.

And, BTW, Yes, that's the whole story.
> That's not the *whole* story.
Thanks,
Stacy

O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.côm> wrote in message news:<MPG.1c017d8e7bf0c3439896a1@netnews.comcast.net>...
> In article <a3648114.0411141107.5dcfcb82@posting.google.com>, c-
> t@rocketmail.com says...
> > Is this Sprint's policy? Is it true that Sprint charges their
> > customers $279
> > for the same phone that it charges new people $129? And expects them
> > to sign a two year contract.
> >

> That's not the *whole* story. But, at the store counter, that's the
> basic truth. Existing customers qualify for rebates under varying
> conditions, such as 18 months under the "New for You" upgrade program,
> but the rebate is *not* instant. It's mail-in. So, at the store
> counter, you still pay full price. The rebate comes in the mail some 8-
> 12 weeks later.
>
> But that only applies if both lines qualify for the discount. Based on
> your description, one of the lines did not.
November 15, 2004 8:37:42 PM

"O/Siris" <0siris@sprîntpcs.côm> wrote in message news:MPG.1c017d8e7bf0c3439896a1@netnews.comcast.net...
In article <a3648114.0411141107.5dcfcb82@posting.google.com>, c-
t@rocketmail.com says...
> Existing customers qualify for rebates under varying
conditions, such as 18 months under the "New for You" upgrade program,
but the rebate is *not* instant. It's mail-in. So, at the store
counter, you still pay full price. The rebate comes in the mail some 8-
12 weeks later.
But that only applies if both lines qualify for the discount. Based on
your description, one of the lines did not. <

So if both my lines complete the 18 month waiting period for the
"New for You" upgrade program simultaneously, both will qualify for
a new phone mail-in rebate, for a total of 2 X $150 =$300?

--
John Richards
Anonymous

John Richards wrote:

> So if both my lines complete the 18 month waiting period for the
> "New for You" upgrade program simultaneously, both will qualify for
> a new phone mail-in rebate, for a total of 2 X $150 =$300?

They should.

November 15, 2004 9:23:52 PM

Stacy, I saw nothing in your original post to indicate that only one
line qualified for a rebate. Check both of your lines' rebate status:
http://www.sprintrebates.com/track/sprintpcs/index.jsp

--
John Richards

"Stacy" <c-t@rocketmail.com> wrote in message news:a3648114.0411150953.79a8e635@posting.google.com...
> Why wouldn't both phones qualify?
>
> Sprint's policy seems to be akin to a car dealership saying that,
> since you purchased a car from them two years earlier, you must pay
> list price for a new car.
>
> And, BTW, Yes, that's the whole story.
> > That's not the *whole* story.
> Thanks,
> Stacy
November 15, 2004 9:41:44 PM

On 15 Nov 2004 09:53:11 -0800, c-t@rocketmail.com (Stacy) wrote:

<<snip>>

>And, BTW, Yes, that's the whole story.
> > That's not the *whole* story.
>Thanks,
>Stacy

Stacy, I think he meant that's not the whole story because the sprint
CSR was holding back info...not you.

Tony

>> That's not the *whole* story. But, at the store counter, that's the
>> basic truth. Existing customers qualify for rebates under varying
>> conditions, such as 18 months under the "New for You" upgrade program,
>> but the rebate is *not* instant. It's mail-in. So, at the store
>> counter, you still pay full price. The rebate comes in the mail some 8-
>> 12 weeks later.
>>
>> But that only applies if both lines qualify for the discount. Based on
>> your description, one of the lines did not.
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 4:17:55 PM

John

Thanks for the link. Yes, according to that website, both phones are
eligible for the rebate.

Thanks, again
Stacy

"John Richards" <jr70@blackhole.invalid> wrote in message news:<Yu6md.20688$Rf1.14827@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>...
> Stacy, I saw nothing in your original post to indicate that only one
> line qualified for a rebate. Check both of your lines' rebate status:
> http://www.sprintrebates.com/track/sprintpcs/index.jsp
>
> --
> John Richards
>

> "Stacy" <c-t@rocketmail.com> wrote in message news:a3648114.0411150953.79a8e635@posting.google.com...
> > Why wouldn't both phones qualify?
> >
> > Sprint's policy seems to be akin to a car dealership saying that,
> > since you purchased a car from them two years earlier, you must pay
> > list price for a new car.
> >
> > And, BTW, Yes, that's the whole story.
> > > That's not the *whole* story.
> > Thanks,
> > Stacy
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 4:54:16 PM

Hmmm, I guess that would be true if car dealers were in the practice of
selling their cars at a loss. Somehow I don't think that is the case.

"Stacy" <c-t@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
> Why wouldn't both phones qualify?
>
> Sprint's policy seems to be akin to a car dealership saying that,
> since you purchased a car from them two years earlier, you must pay
> list price for a new car.
>
> And, BTW, Yes, that's the whole story.
> > That's not the *whole* story.
> Thanks,
> Stacy
>
> O/Siris <0siris@sprîntpcs.côm> wrote in message
>> In article <a3648114.0411141107.5dcfcb82@posting.google.com>, c-
>> t@rocketmail.com says...
>> > Is this Sprint's policy? Is it true that Sprint charges their
>> > customers $279
>> > for the same phone that it charges new people $129? And expects them
>> > to sign a two year contract.
>> >

>> That's not the *whole* story. But, at the store counter, that's the
>> basic truth. Existing customers qualify for rebates under varying
>> conditions, such as 18 months under the "New for You" upgrade program,
>> but the rebate is *not* instant. It's mail-in. So, at the store
>> counter, you still pay full price. The rebate comes in the mail some 8-
>> 12 weeks later.
>>
>> But that only applies if both lines qualify for the discount. Based on
>> your description, one of the lines did not.
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 10:10:58 AM

In article <cnaq3m$d81$1@ratbert.glorb.com>, Steve
Sobolsjsobol@JustThe.net says...
> > So if both my lines complete the 18 month waiting period for the
> > "New for You" upgrade program simultaneously, both will qualify for
> > a new phone mail-in rebate, for a total of 2 X $150 =$300?
>
> They should.

What Steve said.

--
RØß
O/Siris
**A thing moderately good is not so good as it
ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a
virtue, but moderation in principle is always a
vice.**
-Thomas Paine. The Rights of Man. 1792-
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 10:12:29 AM

In article <qvthp0dpgmo594i3piloq0a8n2jvlqunid@4ax.com>,
Tonyfat_augie@hotmail.com says...
> Stacy, I think he meant that's not the whole story because the sprint
> CSR was holding back info...not you.

I opted not to bother to argue the point, but that's
basically what I meant.

--
RØß
O/Siris