Empire Deluxe Enhanced Edition - My Take

Hello folks.
Disclaimer and Full Disclosure: I am in no way affiliated with
Killerbee Software or Mark Kinkead except that I was on the Beta for
EDEE, I am the owner of the Yahoo EDEE-Mod group and I love the game.
I'll post the link to the mod group if anyone would like it.

Empire Deluxe Enhanced Edition is a superb game.

It is not Moo, Civ, Star Empires, or any of the other Turn Based 4X
Strategy Games currently or previously available. It does not pretend
to be.

The game plays as intended. It plays smoothly and is consistent
throughout all of its features. I once knew a guy who looked at a
freshly cleaned window and noticed a smudge. I saw the smudge and
noticed it seemed to have a smiley face to it. Now I can't stand
those things but it really was a matter of perception. EDEE may or may
not have a few smiley faces. It is a matter of perception and how you
feel about them.

Why do I love this game?
I draws on just about every aspect of my intellect I have. The
graphically creative, inference logic, deductive logic, and even the
emotional side of me. It pushes me to try to achieve just within my
grasp. Still I can fire up a small game, sip my wine and listen to
some quite jazz if I want to just unwind. It is as close to being all
things to me as any game ever has been including the ones I designed.

On my own I can change the graphics. In collaboration with others I
can mod the AI. I can create, share, and use other players elements.
What more could I ask? It has exceeded all of my expectations.

Enjoy folks
Steve - The Grey One who "Embraces the Asymmetrical"

"The Grey One" <Asymmetrical.Embracer@gmail.com> wrote in

> On my own I can change the graphics. In collaboration with others I
> can mod the AI. I can create, share, and use other players elements.
> What more could I ask? It has exceeded all of my expectations.

Thanks for that post. I have been wondering about this game. It sounds like
I would like it for the same reasons as my present loves of Dominins 2
(fantasy/magic) and Space Empires IV (space 4x game).

I know the AI mods dont exist yet but when they do, I will want replay. Are
the maps suitable? Random? Not overly balanced (usually done for
multiplayers)

Gandalf Parker

The _script_ AI mods are graduly coming out as we learn how each line
affects it and how in conjuction with the others it reacts.

I played Star Empires IV quite a bit. It is a superb game. I posted
at the Intel Forum under the name "Grey Gryphin", (I think that was
it). My ship set was the Tessellates.

Gandalf Parker wrote:
> "The Grey One" <Asymmetrical.Embracer@gmail.com> wrote in
>
> > On my own I can change the graphics. In collaboration with others
> > can mod the AI. I can create, share, and use other players
elements.
> > What more could I ask? It has exceeded all of my expectations.
> >

> Thanks for that post. I have been wondering about this game. It
sounds like
> I would like it for the same reasons as my present loves of Dominins
2
> (fantasy/magic) and Space Empires IV (space 4x game).
>
> I know the AI mods dont exist yet but when they do, I will want
replay. Are
> the maps suitable? Random? Not overly balanced (usually done for
> multiplayers)
>
> Gandalf Parker

The _script_ AI mods are gradually coming out as we learn how each line
affects it and how in conjunction with the others it reacts.

I played Star Empires IV quite a bit. It is a superb game. I posted
at the Intel Forum under the name "Grey Gryphin", (I think that was
it). My ship set was the Tessellates based on hexagons.

The only limit to the map size is your computers memory and processor.
A 250 x 200 map would be too complicated to remember. The random map
generator is superb once you get the knack of it. The map making
utility is equally good. Like SEIV you can make up your own terrain
and how each unit relates to it, (map generator won't use). So, yes
in my opinion the maps are very sutable for resue. There is a demo
that lets you play for 45 minutes at the killerbeesoftware.com website.

Good to see you again.
Steve - The Grey One

In article <Xns961B51D8D3CFAgandalfparker@208.201.224.154>,
gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites says...
> "The Grey One" <Asymmetrical.Embracer@gmail.com> wrote in
>
> > On my own I can change the graphics. In collaboration with others I
> > can mod the AI. I can create, share, and use other players elements.
> > What more could I ask? It has exceeded all of my expectations.
> >

> Thanks for that post. I have been wondering about this game. It sounds like
> I would like it for the same reasons as my present loves of Dominins 2
> (fantasy/magic) and Space Empires IV (space 4x game).
>
> I know the AI mods dont exist yet but when they do, I will want replay. Are
> the maps suitable? Random? Not overly balanced (usually done for
> multiplayers)
>
> Gandalf Parker

Hey Gandalf, try the two free games Rich suggested here: Battle for
Wesnoth and People's Tactics.

BfW is an open source development, hex based, a little anime type
graphically, plays a bit like Fantasy General. This game is done to an
extremely impressive standard. Units gain experience and get advanced,
you take them into the next scenario (as well as your money)... I find
myself replaying each scenario over and over trying to achieve the goal
by different strategies.

People's Tactics is what Empire never managed to quite achieve - it's
got supply lines and chain of command, officers, some research, and
about all the units you can find in Empire Enhanced. Also it's hex based
rather than square based. Hey, you can do pincer movements, break lines
of supply to paralyze the enemy .... as a strategy game this one wins
hands down. On the downside in this one is the somewhat undernourished
interface, it needs more buttons and more hotkeys, and I had to work out
most of the supply logistics of the game out for myself (still in the
process, can't claim to have understood it entirely yet) since the
documentation leaves much to be desired. Well worth a look all the same:
this one has depth in spades.

-Peter

Peter Huebner <no.one@this.address> wrote in

> Hey Gandalf, try the two free games Rich suggested here: Battle for
> Wesnoth and People's Tactics.

BfW I have played. Its still "alive" on my computer after many store-bought
games have been deleted.

PT is a new one for me. Thanks for the writeup. I will check it out.

Gandalf Parker