Heroes 3: The Shadow of Death - help running program in XP

I installed Heroes of Might & Magic 3: The Shadow of Death last night
-an upgrade from the standard Restoration of Erathia, but I have been
unable to find a way to run the program under Windows XP with SP2. I
tried the various compatiblity settings under the properties for the
executeable to no avail. I still receive an error message whenever I
attempt to launch the game. Has any one had success in getting HoMM3:
SoD to run under XP with SP2? I had HoMM3 plain running earlier but
perhaps I've overlooked some technique I used to get it running in XP.
Any tips on what you've done to get either SoD or RoE to run would be
appreciated.

--
best regards, mat
np: The Wipers - Is This Real?

www.pdxshows.net
3 answers Last reply
More about heroes shadow death running program
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:08:20 -0800, Vader des Vaderlands
    <vader@vaderlands.nl> wrote:

    > Has any one had success in getting HoMM3:
    >SoD to run under XP with SP2? I had HoMM3 plain running earlier but
    >perhaps I've overlooked some technique I used to get it running in XP.
    >Any tips on what you've done to get either SoD or RoE to run would be
    >appreciated.

    It runs fine on my P4 with XP Home and SP2, but I don't remember if I
    had to do anything special or not because it has been a while.

    Henri
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

    Vader des Vaderlands <vader@vaderlands.nl> wrote:
    > I installed Heroes of Might & Magic 3: The Shadow of Death last night
    > -an upgrade from the standard Restoration of Erathia, but I have been
    > unable to find a way to run the program under Windows XP with SP2. I
    > tried the various compatiblity settings under the properties for the
    > executeable to no avail. I still receive an error message whenever I
    > attempt to launch the game. Has any one had success in getting HoMM3:
    > SoD to run under XP with SP2? I had HoMM3 plain running earlier but
    > perhaps I've overlooked some technique I used to get it running in XP.
    > Any tips on what you've done to get either SoD or RoE to run would be
    > appreciated.

    I found myself in a strange situation where the game wouldn't install
    under Win2K and the patches wouldn't install in WinXP. So I installed
    it under WinXP and ran the patch programs over a network from a Win2K
    machine. Annoying, but it worked.

    This has a suggestion for WinXP:

    http://ntcompatible.com/cdetail10395.html

    Other messages (for Win2K) suggest that there is a problem with the
    CD-ROM copy protection.

    --
    Send mail to fadden@fadden.com (Andy McFadden) - http://www.fadden.com/
    CD-Recordable FAQ - http://www.cdrfaq.org/

    Andy McFadden wrote:
    > Vader des Vaderlands <vader@vaderlands.nl> wrote:
    >
    >>I installed Heroes of Might & Magic 3: The Shadow of Death last night
    >>-an upgrade from the standard Restoration of Erathia, but I have been
    >>unable to find a way to run the program under Windows XP with SP2. I
    >>tried the various compatiblity settings under the properties for the
    >>executeable to no avail. I still receive an error message whenever I
    >>attempt to launch the game. Has any one had success in getting HoMM3:
    >>SoD to run under XP with SP2? I had HoMM3 plain running earlier but
    >>perhaps I've overlooked some technique I used to get it running in XP.
    >>Any tips on what you've done to get either SoD or RoE to run would be
    >>appreciated.
    >

    > I found myself in a strange situation where the game wouldn't install
    > under Win2K and the patches wouldn't install in WinXP. So I installed
    > it under WinXP and ran the patch programs over a network from a Win2K
    > machine. Annoying, but it worked.

    Odd but good that it worked out for you!

    > This has a suggestion for WinXP:
    >
    > http://ntcompatible.com/cdetail10395.html
    >
    > Other messages (for Win2K) suggest that there is a problem with the
    > CD-ROM copy protection.

    It turns out that was the problem I was experiencing as well. I was
    able to get the game running by applying a no-CD patch. Cheers!

    --
    best regards, mat
    np:

    www.pdxshows.net

PC gaming Error Message Windows XP Video Games