Heroes 3: The Shadow of Death - help running program in XP

I installed Heroes of Might & Magic 3: The Shadow of Death last night
-an upgrade from the standard Restoration of Erathia, but I have been
unable to find a way to run the program under Windows XP with SP2. I
tried the various compatiblity settings under the properties for the
executeable to no avail. I still receive an error message whenever I
attempt to launch the game. Has any one had success in getting HoMM3:
SoD to run under XP with SP2? I had HoMM3 plain running earlier but
perhaps I've overlooked some technique I used to get it running in XP.
Any tips on what you've done to get either SoD or RoE to run would be
appreciated.

--
best regards, mat
np: The Wipers - Is This Real?

www.pdxshows.net

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 13:08:20 -0800, Vader des Vaderlands
<vader@vaderlands.nl> wrote:

> Has any one had success in getting HoMM3:
>SoD to run under XP with SP2? I had HoMM3 plain running earlier but
>perhaps I've overlooked some technique I used to get it running in XP.
>Any tips on what you've done to get either SoD or RoE to run would be
>appreciated.

It runs fine on my P4 with XP Home and SP2, but I don't remember if I
had to do anything special or not because it has been a while.

Henri

Vader des Vaderlands <vader@vaderlands.nl> wrote:
> I installed Heroes of Might & Magic 3: The Shadow of Death last night
> -an upgrade from the standard Restoration of Erathia, but I have been
> unable to find a way to run the program under Windows XP with SP2. I
> tried the various compatiblity settings under the properties for the
> executeable to no avail. I still receive an error message whenever I
> attempt to launch the game. Has any one had success in getting HoMM3:
> SoD to run under XP with SP2? I had HoMM3 plain running earlier but
> perhaps I've overlooked some technique I used to get it running in XP.
> Any tips on what you've done to get either SoD or RoE to run would be
> appreciated.

I found myself in a strange situation where the game wouldn't install
under Win2K and the patches wouldn't install in WinXP. So I installed
it under WinXP and ran the patch programs over a network from a Win2K
machine. Annoying, but it worked.

This has a suggestion for WinXP:

http://ntcompatible.com/cdetail10395.html

Other messages (for Win2K) suggest that there is a problem with the
CD-ROM copy protection.

--
Send mail to fadden@fadden.com (Andy McFadden) - http://www.fadden.com/
CD-Recordable FAQ - http://www.cdrfaq.org/

Andy McFadden wrote:
> Vader des Vaderlands <vader@vaderlands.nl> wrote:
>
>>I installed Heroes of Might & Magic 3: The Shadow of Death last night
>>-an upgrade from the standard Restoration of Erathia, but I have been
>>unable to find a way to run the program under Windows XP with SP2. I
>>tried the various compatiblity settings under the properties for the
>>executeable to no avail. I still receive an error message whenever I
>>attempt to launch the game. Has any one had success in getting HoMM3:
>>SoD to run under XP with SP2? I had HoMM3 plain running earlier but
>>perhaps I've overlooked some technique I used to get it running in XP.
>>Any tips on what you've done to get either SoD or RoE to run would be
>>appreciated.
>

> I found myself in a strange situation where the game wouldn't install
> under Win2K and the patches wouldn't install in WinXP. So I installed
> it under WinXP and ran the patch programs over a network from a Win2K
> machine. Annoying, but it worked.

Odd but good that it worked out for you!

> This has a suggestion for WinXP:
>
> http://ntcompatible.com/cdetail10395.html
>
> Other messages (for Win2K) suggest that there is a problem with the
> CD-ROM copy protection.

It turns out that was the problem I was experiencing as well. I was
able to get the game running by applying a no-CD patch. Cheers!

--
best regards, mat
np:

www.pdxshows.net