Sign in with
Your question

Wifi dongle driver missing, what now? (Micronext)

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Windows 7
  • WiFi
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 9, 2013 1:44:29 PM

Hi

I have a Micronext MN-WD152B and need to install it on a Windows 7 machine. Sadly the website doesn't exist anymore (while the thing is still being sold via amazon?) which means that I can't get a driver for it anymore. There was a CD that came with it, but I never had it.

Is there some kind of work around? Anything else I could use, - or is the thing worthless and should I through it away?

Thanks a lot,
Manuel

More about : wifi dongle driver missing micronext

February 10, 2013 12:27:26 PM

Depends how much your time is worth it is not that expensive to toss it in the trash and get a new one.

There are only a handful of wireless chipset makers so your goal is to find a another adapter that uses the same chipset. You should then be able to load a driver for that adapter..many times you can use the generic ones from the chipset manufacturers website.

Finding the chipset tends to be tedious. You can take it apart which I would not recommend. Boot your machine with a linux DVD and watch the messages on boot it will tell you the chipset and if it has a driver it loads it. Or search the internet and hope someone has already done this work.
!