Suggestions for Monitors to mix acoustic music at low leve..

Last response: in Home Audio
a b C Monitor
March 4, 2005 12:44:14 PM

I'm looking into a new pair of monitors (powered or passive) in the
$1000 range for mixing acoustic music at lower listening levels. My
room is fairly large, about 14x19. I'm using the Mackie 824, had the
Reveals and KRK V-8's. All pretty good speakers but lacking something
special.

Anyone here into the Event ASP8, possibly the new ADAM low end monitor,
how about audiophile speakers?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 4, 2005 1:12:01 PM

GM66 wrote:
> I'm looking into a new pair of monitors (powered or passive) in the
> $1000 range for mixing acoustic music at lower listening levels. My
> room is fairly large, about 14x19. I'm using the Mackie 824, had the
> Reveals and KRK V-8's. All pretty good speakers but lacking something
> special.

How about a pair of Magneplanars?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 4, 2005 7:43:32 PM

I have a pair of ADAM P11As that came highly reccomended. I love 'em!

Stu Nevitt

"GM66" <guitar_man_1966@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking into a new pair of monitors (powered or passive) in the
> $1000 range for mixing acoustic music at lower listening levels. My
> room is fairly large, about 14x19. I'm using the Mackie 824, had the
> Reveals and KRK V-8's. All pretty good speakers but lacking something
> special.
>
> Anyone here into the Event ASP8, possibly the new ADAM low end monitor,
> how about audiophile speakers?

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 4, 2005 8:02:34 PM

Excuse me but what s a Magneplanars? The ADAM P11 could be the ones. A
friend mentioned Truth Audio TA-1A, about $1300, a bit over budget but
I will go higher if neded. Anyone here ever hear the Truth?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 4, 2005 8:47:02 PM

GM66 wrote:
> Excuse me but what's a Magneplanar?

<http://magnepan.com/&gt;
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 4, 2005 8:50:02 PM

On 4 Mar 2005 09:44:14 -0800, "GM66" <guitar_man_1966@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I'm looking into a new pair of monitors (powered or passive) in the
>$1000 range for mixing acoustic music at lower listening levels. My
>room is fairly large, about 14x19. I'm using the Mackie 824, had the
>Reveals and KRK V-8's. All pretty good speakers but lacking something
>special.
>
>Anyone here into the Event ASP8, possibly the new ADAM low end monitor,
>how about audiophile speakers?

I have a pair of Hafler TRM8 that aren't bad. If I had to do it
again, I would go for the 5" model with the subwoofer for a smoother
upper mid range at the crossover point, and may consider those if I
ever get 5.1 going.

Mark
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 4, 2005 11:59:22 PM

In article <1109958254.818180.253720@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com> guitar_man_1966@yahoo.com writes:

> I'm looking into a new pair of monitors (powered or passive) in the
> $1000 range for mixing acoustic music at lower listening levels. My
> room is fairly large, about 14x19. I'm using the Mackie 824, had the
> Reveals and KRK V-8's. All pretty good speakers but lacking something
> special.

Are you sure it's the speakers that are lacking something, or is it
what's going into them? I'm just prejudiced against all KRKs based on
some early listening and there are too many monitors out there for me
to give them a second chance, but if you can't mix as good as you want
on the Mackies either your tracks are so good that you need to start
looking in the $5K and up range or your room is doing bad things to
them. I could throw out names, too, but you know what they are.

a b C Monitor
March 5, 2005 6:16:48 AM

Mike Rivers wrote:

> guitar_man_1966@ writes:

> > I'm looking into a new pair of monitors (powered or passive) in the
> > $1000 range for mixing acoustic music at lower listening levels. My
> > room is fairly large, about 14x19. I'm using the Mackie 824, had the
> > Reveals and KRK V-8's. All pretty good speakers but lacking something
> > special.

> Are you sure it's the speakers that are lacking something, or is it
> what's going into them? I'm just prejudiced against all KRKs based on
> some early listening and there are too many monitors out there for me
> to give them a second chance, but if you can't mix as good as you want
> on the Mackies either your tracks are so good that you need to start
> looking in the $5K and up range or your room is doing bad things to
> them. I could throw out names, too, but you know what they are.

I wonder what he means by "something special"? Maybe he wants speakers
that do what monitors aren't supposed to do, make everything seem to
sound better than it really does. Most of us are looking for speakers
that suit us for getting mixes that translate well to other systems.

How about Bose?

<ducking, running, dodging...>

--
ha
Anonymous

hank alrich wrote:
> Mike Rivers wrote:
>
> > guitar_man_1966@ writes:
>
> > > I'm looking into a new pair of monitors (powered or passive) in
the
> > > $1000 range for mixing acoustic music at lower listening levels.
My
> > > room is fairly large, about 14x19. I'm using the Mackie 824, had
the
> > > Reveals and KRK V-8's. All pretty good speakers but lacking
something
> > > special.
>
> > Are you sure it's the speakers that are lacking something, or is it
> > what's going into them? I'm just prejudiced against all KRKs based
on
> > some early listening and there are too many monitors out there for
me
> > to give them a second chance, but if you can't mix as good as you
want
> > on the Mackies either your tracks are so good that you need to
start
> > looking in the $5K and up range or your room is doing bad things to
> > them. I could throw out names, too, but you know what they are.
>
> I wonder what he means by "something special"? Maybe he wants
speakers
> that do what monitors aren't supposed to do, make everything seem to
> sound better than it really does. Most of us are looking for speakers
> that suit us for getting mixes that translate well to other systems.
>
> How about Bose?
>
> <ducking, running, dodging...>
>
> --
> ha

I'm with Hank - he took the words outta my mouth. Maybe the OP wants
something more as a check mix system for a completely different point
of view. In that case, I'd go for NS-10s, or those Auratones of
Hank's..., or a boom box, or an IPod... My 824's seemed to like my
17x14 CR, except for bass buildup off the back wall.

Mikey
Nova Music Productions
this sig is haiku
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 5, 2005 5:19:45 PM

GM66 <guitar_man_1966@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Excuse me but what s a Magneplanars? The ADAM P11 could be the ones. A
>friend mentioned Truth Audio TA-1A, about $1300, a bit over budget but
>I will go higher if neded. Anyone here ever hear the Truth?

The Magneplanars will give you very clean low end (though not a huge amount
of it) and very accurate midrange with rather distant-sounding imaging in
a large room. They're not to everyone's taste and they aren't extremely
analytic, but they are my personal favorites. They really are much more
touchy about room acoustics than typical monkey box speakers, though.
--scott

a b C Monitor
March 8, 2005 9:48:59 AM

I'm back...by special I meant just a nicer more true monitor.

I checked out the Dynaudio Bm6A and 15A. I think the 15A or P would do
it for me but they are out of budget. The ASP8 looks promising. With my
budget I will more than likely need to go for the Dyn 6P with a power
amp or possibly the Truth Audio TA-1P and amp, can't hear them in a
store though.

Anyone using the Dyn ot Truth or ASP-8 here?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 8, 2005 10:24:07 AM

Try to get a listen to the Blue Sky monitors. System One or Pro Desk. I
compared them with both the Mackie's, V-8s and the Events and liked
them best. More top end extension without being hyped.

GM66 wrote:
> I'm looking into a new pair of monitors (powered or passive) in the
> $1000 range for mixing acoustic music at lower listening levels. My
> room is fairly large, about 14x19. I'm using the Mackie 824, had the
> Reveals and KRK V-8's. All pretty good speakers but lacking something
> special.
>
> Anyone here into the Event ASP8, possibly the new ADAM low end
monitor,
> how about audiophile speakers?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
March 9, 2005 4:44:32 AM

> I'm back...by special I meant just a nicer more true monitor.
>
> I checked out the Dynaudio Bm6A and 15A. I think the 15A or P would do
> it for me but they are out of budget. The ASP8 looks promising. With my
> budget I will more than likely need to go for the Dyn 6P with a power
> amp or possibly the Truth Audio TA-1P and amp, can't hear them in a
> store though.
>
> Anyone using the Dyn ot Truth or ASP-8 here?

Maybe Tannoy Series 800 Actives might be an option? Very nice & detailed
midrange, not as much low end as I would've expected from an 8" woof, but I
heard some Country stuff demo'ed on a pair of these recently, and it came
across very nicely, I thought.

Neil Henderson
!