WPA or WPA2

tbalint

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Hello,

I'm setting up a new router (D-Link DIR-615) and my question is: what type of security shoud I choose?

I can select the following:

- Auto (WPA or WPA2) + Cipher type: TKIP and AES, TKIP, AES

or

- WPA only + Cipher type: TKIP and AES, TKIP, AES

or

- WPA2 only + Cipher type: TKIP and AES, TKIP, AES

I have read that TKIP is not compatible with 802.11n, so I won't use it, but is it true?
And is WPA only+AES compatible with all devices that support WPA/WPA2?

Thanks.

Solution
If you run AES you are running WPA2 even if it is called WPA. This was pretty much the only difference between them. A lot of this mess is related to the fees companies must pay to get their equipment certified. Some companies that did WPA-AES did it before the WPA2 standard was ratified so even though it was the same they did not meet the standard. In most cases it will work fine but I am sure there are some products that do not work together.

This is the same issue with the current 802.11AC. None of the current product is a certified product...because the standard will not be released until the end of the year.

tbalint

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
More info: I'd like to use WPA only if possible (not WPA2) because I have some older devices that doesn't support WPA2.

Just to clarify: I'm speaking about WPA-PSK (personal) and not WPA-Enterprise.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
If you run AES you are running WPA2 even if it is called WPA. This was pretty much the only difference between them. A lot of this mess is related to the fees companies must pay to get their equipment certified. Some companies that did WPA-AES did it before the WPA2 standard was ratified so even though it was the same they did not meet the standard. In most cases it will work fine but I am sure there are some products that do not work together.

This is the same issue with the current 802.11AC. None of the current product is a certified product...because the standard will not be released until the end of the year.

Solution