Security settings on drive set to deny all for everyone!!! D:

angrypoonani

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Somehow a drive on one of my work computers got the security permissions for "everyone" set to deny. I need some type of work around to reset the permissions or a way to recover the data from the drive so I can format it. The bottom line is I need the data, so whatever I can do to make that happen I will do.

I tried cmd prompt command:

Code:
icacls s:\ /grant Administrator:F /T /C

this returns:
Code:
s:\: Access is denied

If there is a way to reset the security permissions that would be nice. Please let me know or link me to other discussions (though I've looked at many with no answers it seems... no one ever reports back on a solution)

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010

Good grief I don't like it when people do that. I'm sure newbies also hate it when people 'point out' that they're newbies. I know I would.

Sorry for off topic, it had to be said.

Each to his own, I suppose. I always think it's nice to be welcomed into a Forum and sometimes I've even been thanked for it. A little politeness can still go a long way in the modern world and those of us of, say, a certain age carry on the habits of a lifetime.

angrypoonani

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
What I ended up doing:
1 - boot into safe mode (hold f8 after POSTing)
2 - right click on drive that was locked and clicked properties
3 - opened security tab
4 - assigned ownership to the 'Administrators' group
5 - set permissions to allow all for 'Administrators' group (there are a few prompt that I had to go through bu I can't remember them off-hand)
6 - ran command prompt as admin (search cmd then hold ctrl+shift and press enter)
7 - ran the 'takeown' command to set ownership like so:
TAKEOWN /F {my drive} /R /A /D Y
8 - ran the 'icacls' command to set permissions like so:
icacls {my drive} /grant Administrators:F(OI)(CI) /T /C

Works well. I may have reversed 7 and 8... but if you get a bunch of errors you can always run the other one first. It took awhile to loop through all of my files but it worked so I'm not complaining