Please help! I can't reinstall...

Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

I've had the civ3 Gold edition and just upgraded to Conquests, I tried to
download the 1.22 patch for Conquests, but must have chose the wrong option,
cause I could no longer play the game. So I uninstalled it, both Gold and
Conquests. When I try to re-install I don't have the option, all it gives
me is the un-install option, and when I click on that it says that it did
so. How can I force reinstall, how can I manually delete all of the files
from my computer so that the disk thinks it needs to be installed instead of
thinking that it is already installed?

When I try to play the game it says: bink32.dll was not found. What can I
do?

-Muuurgh

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:28:29 -0600, "Muuurgh" <meatbag@porkfat.com>
wrote:

>I've had the civ3 Gold edition and just upgraded to Conquests, I tried to
>download the 1.22 patch for Conquests, but must have chose the wrong option,
>cause I could no longer play the game. So I uninstalled it, both Gold and
>Conquests. When I try to re-install I don't have the option, all it gives
>me is the un-install option, and when I click on that it says that it did
>so. How can I force reinstall, how can I manually delete all of the files
>from my computer so that the disk thinks it needs to be installed instead of
>thinking that it is already installed?
>
>When I try to play the game it says: bink32.dll was not found. What can I
>do?
>
>-Muuurgh

Open your registry editor at C:\WINDOWS\regedit.exe. Look for the
key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Infogames/Civ3PTW. There should be
install/uninstall path listed there. If you go to the uninstall path
which should be a subfolder in "C:\Program Files\InstallShield
Installation Information" you should find the uninstall scripts that
are trying to run. I would delete that uninstall folder(make sure you
get the right one), the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Infogames/ registry key,
and any files in "C:\Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization
III".

Of course you could still have problems if there are additional
registry files to cleanup.

"P12" <nowhere@all.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:28:29 -0600, "Muuurgh" <meatbag@porkfat.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I've had the civ3 Gold edition and just upgraded to Conquests, I tried to
>>download the 1.22 patch for Conquests, but must have chose the wrong
>>option,
>>cause I could no longer play the game. So I uninstalled it, both Gold and
>>Conquests. When I try to re-install I don't have the option, all it gives
>>me is the un-install option, and when I click on that it says that it did
>>so. How can I force reinstall, how can I manually delete all of the files
>>from my computer so that the disk thinks it needs to be installed instead
>>of
>>thinking that it is already installed?
>>
>>When I try to play the game it says: bink32.dll was not found. What can I
>>do?
>>
>>-Muuurgh
>

> Open your registry editor at C:\WINDOWS\regedit.exe. Look for the
> key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Infogames/Civ3PTW. There should be
> install/uninstall path listed there. If you go to the uninstall path
> which should be a subfolder in "C:\Program Files\InstallShield
> Installation Information" you should find the uninstall scripts that
> are trying to run. I would delete that uninstall folder(make sure you
> get the right one), the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Infogames/ registry key,
> and any files in "C:\Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization
> III".
>
> Of course you could still have problems if there are additional
> registry files to cleanup.

Okay, Now my disk says that I can install, but once the installshield wizard
comes up it brings me to the modify, repair or remove screen. I can't
install. No matter what choice I pick, it thinks it has finished repairing
or modifying and I'm back at square one. We seem to be getting somewhere
though.

What now?

Thanks,
-Muuurgh

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 23:22:36 -0600, "Muuurgh" <meatbag@porkfat.com>
wrote:

>"P12" <nowhere@all.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:28:29 -0600, "Muuurgh" <meatbag@porkfat.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I've had the civ3 Gold edition and just upgraded to Conquests, I tried to
>>>download the 1.22 patch for Conquests, but must have chose the wrong
>>>option,
>>>cause I could no longer play the game. So I uninstalled it, both Gold and
>>>Conquests. When I try to re-install I don't have the option, all it gives
>>>me is the un-install option, and when I click on that it says that it did
>>>so. How can I force reinstall, how can I manually delete all of the files
>>>from my computer so that the disk thinks it needs to be installed instead
>>>of
>>>thinking that it is already installed?
>>>
>>>When I try to play the game it says: bink32.dll was not found. What can I
>>>do?
>>>
>>>-Muuurgh
>>

>> Open your registry editor at C:\WINDOWS\regedit.exe. Look for the
>> key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Infogames/Civ3PTW. There should be
>> install/uninstall path listed there. If you go to the uninstall path
>> which should be a subfolder in "C:\Program Files\InstallShield
>> Installation Information" you should find the uninstall scripts that
>> are trying to run. I would delete that uninstall folder(make sure you
>> get the right one), the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Infogames/ registry key,
>> and any files in "C:\Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization
>> III".
>>
>> Of course you could still have problems if there are additional
>> registry files to cleanup.
>
>Okay, Now my disk says that I can install, but once the installshield wizard
>comes up it brings me to the modify, repair or remove screen. I can't
>install. No matter what choice I pick, it thinks it has finished repairing
>or modifying and I'm back at square one. We seem to be getting somewhere
>though.
>
>What now?
>
>Thanks,
>-Muuurgh

I did a search through my registry and found more paths you could try
cleaning up. Because of the various company name changes there many
different keys.

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/software/
Breakawaygames, Fraxis Games, Infogames interactive
Under one of the above is an additional install path for Civ III,
so cleanup the files in that path first.

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/software/microsoft/currentversion
Under Appaths are civilization3X.exe and Civ3Conquests.exe
Under uninstall paths several keys have references to civ3

Maybe there are even more things to clean up. I kind of figured the
install would rebuild from scratch once it saw the bulk of the game
was missing.

"Muuurgh" <meatbag@porkfat.com> wrote in message
> I've had the civ3 Gold edition and just upgraded to Conquests, I tried to
> download the 1.22 patch for Conquests, but must have chose the wrong
option,
> cause I could no longer play the game. So I uninstalled it, both Gold and
> Conquests. When I try to re-install I don't have the option, all it gives
> me is the un-install option, and when I click on that it says that it did
> so. How can I force reinstall, how can I manually delete all of the files
> from my computer so that the disk thinks it needs to be installed instead
of
> thinking that it is already installed?
>
> When I try to play the game it says: bink32.dll was not found. What can I
> do?
>
> -Muuurgh

If you can't find a solution here, recommend that you go to the developers
web site and see if they have a forums or FAQ section. Also, try emailing
your problem to the Tech Support people. I've done this in the past with
some games and gotten an answer back.

I would suggest looking in program files for the type of installer that civ
3 uses. I think there is a glitch in the files there and removing them will
help..

"OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in message

> "Muuurgh" <meatbag@porkfat.com> wrote in message
> > I've had the civ3 Gold edition and just upgraded to Conquests, I tried
> > download the 1.22 patch for Conquests, but must have chose the wrong
> option,
> > cause I could no longer play the game. So I uninstalled it, both Gold
and
> > Conquests. When I try to re-install I don't have the option, all it
gives
> > me is the un-install option, and when I click on that it says that it
did
> > so. How can I force reinstall, how can I manually delete all of the
files
> > from my computer so that the disk thinks it needs to be installed
instead
> of
> > thinking that it is already installed?
> >
> > When I try to play the game it says: bink32.dll was not found. What can
> > do?
> >
> > -Muuurgh
> >

> If you can't find a solution here, recommend that you go to the developers
> web site and see if they have a forums or FAQ section. Also, try
emailing
> your problem to the Tech Support people. I've done this in the past with
> some games and gotten an answer back.

From memory civ three uses installshield which may be a hidden folder. Once
you find it there will most likely be more than one folder in there as loads
of programs use installshield. Inside most of them is a setup config file
that you can open with notepad and that will tell you what program it is.
When you find the civ 3 folder just delete the folder and you should be
right to reinstall..

Hope this helps
Fordy

"Fordy" <fordys@westnet.com.au> wrote in message
> I would suggest looking in program files for the type of installer that
civ
> 3 uses. I think there is a glitch in the files there and removing them
will
> help..
>

> "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote in message
> >
> > "Muuurgh" <meatbag@porkfat.com> wrote in message
> > > I've had the civ3 Gold edition and just upgraded to Conquests, I tried
> > > download the 1.22 patch for Conquests, but must have chose the wrong
> > option,
> > > cause I could no longer play the game. So I uninstalled it, both Gold
> and
> > > Conquests. When I try to re-install I don't have the option, all it
> gives
> > > me is the un-install option, and when I click on that it says that it
> did
> > > so. How can I force reinstall, how can I manually delete all of the
> files
> > > from my computer so that the disk thinks it needs to be installed
> instead
> > of
> > > thinking that it is already installed?
> > >
> > > When I try to play the game it says: bink32.dll was not found. What
can
> > > do?
> > >
> > > -Muuurgh
> > >

> > If you can't find a solution here, recommend that you go to the
developers
> > web site and see if they have a forums or FAQ section. Also, try
> emailing
> > your problem to the Tech Support people. I've done this in the past
with
> > some games and gotten an answer back.

Archived from groups: alt.games.civ3,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

do you know how to edit the riegistry?

thats the easiest way.......

On 22 Mar 2005 16:23:26 -0800, garciyalater@hotmail.com <garciyalater@hotmail.com> wrote:
> do you know how to edit the riegistry?
>
> thats the easiest way.......

Actually, the easiset way is to buy the Mac version and install it on a
computer that doesn't have those inherent problems. Sorry, but bullshit
aside, it's true.