Equipment Rental - Austin / SXSW

Last response: in Home Audio
March 4, 2005 11:05:33 PM

hey there. i'm in a band from L.A., and we've been offered a last
minute slot during the South by Southwest festivities in Austin.

we realize that we are in a really really last-minute situation here,
but we need to lay our hands on some decent guitar amps to rent for our
show on Saturday, March 19th.

Can anyone recommend places that either have enormous stock .. or are
lesser known, so that they may still have something left ?

we need two amps. both of us currently use 35w victoria tweed amps, and
are looking for either someting of similar wattage and/or quality.. or
at least a couple of fender twins, or blues deville's. brand is not
crucial, but sound is. of course, we can't be too terribly picky, given
that it's so late in the game.

any recommendations would be much appreciated.

thanks,
dan
Anonymous
March 5, 2005 7:31:16 AM

<bantamdl@yahoo.com> wrote:

> hey there. i'm in a band from L.A., and we've been offered a last
> minute slot during the South by Southwest festivities in Austin.

> we realize that we are in a really really last-minute situation here,
> but we need to lay our hands on some decent guitar amps to rent for our
> show on Saturday, March 19th.

> Can anyone recommend places that either have enormous stock .. or are
> lesser known, so that they may still have something left ?

> we need two amps. both of us currently use 35w victoria tweed amps, and
> are looking for either someting of similar wattage and/or quality.. or
> at least a couple of fender twins, or blues deville's. brand is not
> crucial, but sound is. of course, we can't be too terribly picky, given
> that it's so late in the game.

> any recommendations would be much appreciated.

This is not good. Call Rock 'n' Roll Rentals to see if they can make a
recommendation. Even if they had what you need you'd stand little chance
of getting it because they don't take reservations; it's all
first-come-first served. But maybe they know somebody.

Also, Strait Music and / or Ray Henning's Heart of Texas Music might be
helpful. But you'd better get on the horn ASAP. You can find these
places on the web.

If I was you I'd drive and take my amps.

--
ha
Anonymous

<bantamdl@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1109995533.328111.99330@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> hey there. i'm in a band from L.A., and we've been offered a last
> minute slot during the South by Southwest festivities in Austin.
>
> we realize that we are in a really really last-minute situation here,
> but we need to lay our hands on some decent guitar amps to rent for our
> show on Saturday, March 19th.
>
> Can anyone recommend places that either have enormous stock .. or are
> lesser known, so that they may still have something left ?
>
> we need two amps. both of us currently use 35w victoria tweed amps, and
> are looking for either someting of similar wattage and/or quality.. or
> at least a couple of fender twins, or blues deville's. brand is not
> crucial, but sound is. of course, we can't be too terribly picky, given
> that it's so late in the game.
>
> any recommendations would be much appreciated.
>
> thanks,
> dan

I agree with Hank, but I'll add that the little festival has gotten pretty touristy
lately, and a lot of venues get involved to try to lure the best and the most
bookings. So, there's a chance that if you talk to the venue you're scheduled
to play in, they may be offering a 'back-line' for use in order to save down time
between sets. If they do... be *sure* to get the names of and to talk to the people
who are providing that gear so that they that know you're on the agenda and that
there are no unknown 'catches' to using the gear and that it comes close to what
you're used to.

I'd tend to think that packing up the Volkswagen minivan and lugging your
gear there would make you more secure if you can't get any positive response
from the venue you're scheduled in or a rental company.

There *will* be a serious shortage of everything from hotel rooms to equipment
in Austin during the entire process... Lot's of Dallas companies have gear tied
up in those show and the people in Dallas suffer during that time. *Lots* of gear
gets shuttled to Austin for this tourist extravaganza.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

In article <1109995533.328111.99330@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> bantamdl@yahoo.com writes:

> we realize that we are in a really really last-minute situation here,
> but we need to lay our hands on some decent guitar amps to rent for our
> show on Saturday, March 19th.

Why not ask the venue where you're playing? If it's one of the
official showcases, they probably already have equipment rented for
the shows. And if it's at a club, they almost certainly have a couple
of rental houses that they use when bands come in with equipment
requirements.

March 6, 2005 12:57:33 AM

Mike Rivers wrote:

> Why not ask the venue where you're playing?

That has a 50/50 chance of finding out anything at all, other than the
address of the club.

> If it's one of the
> official showcases, they probably already have equipment rented for
> the shows.

Probably not. That would chew into the money extracted from the scene,
which is ostensibly about bands getting showcased, but is in fact about
drawing hundreds of performers to Austin for the privilege of working
for almost nothing. In general SXSW has become one of the world's
largest borderline pay-to-play opportunities.

The downtown Threadgill's ("Threadgill's World Headquarters" - loaded
with AWHQ memorabilia) has a serious of shows during this period that
run on their outside-and-under-a-tent stage that have nothing to do with
SXSW, where the artists get paid decently and quality is consistently
high.

> And if it's at a club, they almost certainly have a couple
> of rental houses that they use when bands come in with equipment
> requirements.

I think you're not up to speed with the scale of this exploitation mill.
There isn't enough rental gear in Austin to cover a third of this scene,
unless what you need is a crane for skyscraper construction.

--
ha
Anonymous

In article <1gsy9ie.setxahm9eoq8N%walkinay@thegrid.net> walkinay@thegrid.net writes:

> I think you're not up to speed with the scale of this exploitation mill.
> There isn't enough rental gear in Austin to cover a third of this scene,
> unless what you need is a crane for skyscraper construction.

I guess I'm not up with the scene. But it doesn't make sense for
several hundred musicians to blow into town and all rent their own
equipment. They can't all be playing at the same time - there are only
so many venues. But then I guess if you're a musician you want to know
that you'll have amps when you get to the gig and getting them for
yourself is probably the best way to assure that.

Good luck.

March 6, 2005 6:32:43 AM

"Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote in message news:znr1110070054k@trad...

> In article <1gsy9ie.setxahm9eoq8N%walkinay@thegrid.net> walkinay@thegrid.net writes:
>
> > I think you're not up to speed with the scale of this exploitation mill.
> > There isn't enough rental gear in Austin to cover a third of this scene,
> > unless what you need is a crane for skyscraper construction.
>
> I guess I'm not up with the scene. But it doesn't make sense for
> several hundred musicians to blow into town and all rent their own
> equipment. They can't all be playing at the same time - there are only
> so many venues. But then I guess if you're a musician you want to know
> that you'll have amps when you get to the gig and getting them for
> yourself is probably the best way to assure that.
>
> Good luck.

This is a city that will be void of hotel space for miles around. The streets
will be more crowded - not only due to the week or so's worth of culture
shock induced by the huge immediate rise in percentage of population -
but because half of the drivers will be in trucks, large vans, or be towing
trailers. Nearly every music entertainment business with a parking lot,
a patio or a rooftop that can be consumed for playing live music will be
occupied... the towing companies will make hundreds of thousands of $
and the city's economy will spontaneously be injected with a few million.

Other than that, not much really happens there that wasn't well planned
in advance... from the bigger acts in largers rooms to the 'spontaneous'
label signings of new bands.

To top that off.... there's usually an adjacent week of film stuff going on.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com
http://www.artisan-recordingstudio.com
Anonymous
March 6, 2005 2:22:54 PM

In article <vRuWd.79998$wc.15395@trnddc07> mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com writes:

> This is a city that will be void of hotel space for miles around. The streets
> will be more crowded - not only due to the week or so's worth of culture
> shock induced by the huge immediate rise in percentage of population -
> but because half of the drivers will be in trucks, large vans, or be towing
> trailers. Nearly every music entertainment business with a parking lot

Sounds like a good time to be out of town. Mackie is a sponsor of that
Musician's Hotel thing and I've dropped a couple of hints that they
should invite me down to do a workshop on interfacing. I guess it
would be a good idea to lay low and hope they didn't get the hint (or
thought it was a bad idea - that's more like it <g>).

March 6, 2005 11:32:00 PM

"Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote in message news:znr1110116228k@trad...

> In article <vRuWd.79998$wc.15395@trnddc07> mams@NOSPAm-a-m-s.com writes:
>
> > This is a city that will be void of hotel space for miles around. The streets
> > will be more crowded - not only due to the week or so's worth of culture
> > shock induced by the huge immediate rise in percentage of population -
> > but because half of the drivers will be in trucks, large vans, or be towing
> > trailers. Nearly every music entertainment business with a parking lot
>
> Sounds like a good time to be out of town. Mackie is a sponsor of that
> Musician's Hotel thing and I've dropped a couple of hints that they
> should invite me down to do a workshop on interfacing. I guess it
> would be a good idea to lay low and hope they didn't get the hint (or
> thought it was a bad idea - that's more like it <g>).

As long as you stay in your room & your presentation area, and don't
venture out far enough to lose sight of your hotel, it should be safe. ;-)
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 3:13:31 AM

These guys can help you out.

http://www.musicmakerrentals.com/

Ask for David Baldry or Alan Kirsch.

Also, as previously mentioned here, Rock & Roll Rentals and Strait Music.

Good Luck,

DJ

!