I keep getting Blue screen after start up (NOT scrn of death) plz help

jj106

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
hey, i recently upgraded a few components e.g graphics card, harddrive and the PSU. everything has been working perfectly for about 3 days. originally i had a 500gb hard drive which had only about 40GB left on it so i thought it'd be a good idea to boot from my new 1 tb internal hard drive.
so, i got the reccomended program 'acronis true image' the trial version as i would have had to pay for it which i did not want to do seeing as i would only use it this once. so after i installed the program i cloned my 500gb internal hdd onto my new hdd and made sure i had not deleted anything as to make sure i chose the correct boot drive in the bios once i successfully changed the boot drive to my new hdd i restarted the computer and double checked that my windows 7 had linked with this drive, i also checked over each hard drive to make sure a few important things were on each and they seemed exactly the same.

so i decided to format my old 500gb hdd after knowing almost deffinately that it had booted to my new drive. i formated it by simply going into the device management and right clicking on the partition and pressing format. it came up that it could stop a few programs from working if i did this and asked if i wanted to force format it. so i had one last check to make sure i hadnt missed anything and compared each to make sure each of them match up with their content.

so i then agreed to force it then all of a sudden a load of programs on my computer dissappeared and my computer turned off as i had set it to turn off once it had finished. i then started up my computer again and came up with the windows logo then went on to the welcome message which lasted a few secconds then it went on to say preparing your desktop which lasted a few minutes which i thought was odd... then it went to a sky blue screen with no desktop and no buttons/logos nothing just a sky blue background. i could access the task manager by pressing ctrl+alt+del. but thats it.

can you please help me as i would really like to get back to my gaming as i have brought all these components to help make my computer faster and through one hiccup i now cannot use it at all.

in advance thank you to anyone that helps me out most appreciated
Jacob

p.s. i have windows 7

Dogsnake

Distinguished
This is what I think happened. Win7 makes a 100 MB system partition that is separate from the partition you see as the C drive. It needs this partition to run. Though you cloned your C drive i bet you left the 100MB partition on the old drive. Win7 knew where the partition was and continued to use it. When you formatted the old drive you destroyed it. I would try using your Win7 cd to repair the installation of windows. If it does not work you will probably need to do a clean install. start the system and let it go to the blue screen then insert the cd and when asked select upgrade as the installation option. Did you ever make a system repair disk when Win7 asked you to? You could use it to try to repair the OS. Can you boot to safe mode (doubt it but need to ask)?

jj106

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012

ok for some reason i do actually have a seperate partition i somehow remember a while ago making it but i have no idea what for it is only 7.81gb and only has 2.6gb free however when i go into it, it has a folder saying recovery but the thing is as i cannot access folder and search options in organise i can not allow the explorer to show me the operating system files or hidden files.

i will try to use the windows 7 disk ... on the front it has 'windows 7 proffessional 64 bit OEM Activation, External recovery media 1 of 1' i hope thats the right disk?

and im sorry but i have never made a repair disk.

and i could try to boot in safe but but could you tell me how to is it f8 at start up??? then simply pressing run in safe mode?? what would safe mode do??

jamesmcuk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
can you go to File > Run in task manager and type explorer? Does it load the desktop?

If so go to startand type Regedit. Navigate the tree to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / MICROSOFT / WINDOWS NT / CURRENTVERSION / WINLOGON

Find the Shell entry and enter Explorer.exe in its value. See what that does

jj106

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012

i'm afraid it does not allow me to run regedit.exe it says 'windows cannot find 'D:\Windows\Regedit.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.'

is there any other way i would be able to access hkey_local_machine etc...?

jamesmcuk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
well if it didn't load explorer in the top part of the reply then its not likely to work. You could try to do the same as above and type C:\windows\explorer.exe and try that in the run command of task manager. See if it gets the desktop up.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Once you are at the screen you show in the photo use the win7 disc and choose upgrade for the install option. It will reinstall windows without changing any of your installed programs.

jj106

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
thats the thing i cannot open the disk from the blue screen it keeps saying it is not supported . however i was having a look over the harddrives and realised that my new 1tb harddrive is set to the D drive whilst my old 500gb drive is still set to C is there a way to swap over the letters?? as my computer and everything is still set tO C:

jj106

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
do you think it would be a good idea if i unplugged my new 1tb harddrive so i only had the old and empty 500gb harddrive linked up then do a system restore as the disk i have is not windows installation disk it is the factory restore one and i do not have the installaion for windows 7. show i put my 500gb harddrive back to factory settings to see if that sorts out windows 7 then i might be able to access a few more options through windows which might help me fix the problem to makeing my new hdd the bootable drive with windows on it?

jj106

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
i believe i have fixed the problem now i had to download the windows 7 recovery disk from a torrent site as i was not supplied with one then i burned the iso onto a disk inserted it and reinstalled windows 7 by using some of the windows 7 i had already cloned onto my new drive.

windows has started up properly and im moving my program files from windows.old into my current hard drives C: drive. oh and my new harddrive has changed to C: drive instead of D: which is very useful.

thanks for all your help!

jj106

Honorable
Jun 12, 2012
i believe i have fixed the problem now i had to download the windows 7 recovery disk from a torrent site as i was not supplied with one then i burned the iso onto a disk inserted it and reinstalled windows 7 by using some of the windows 7 i had already cloned onto my new drive.

windows has started up properly and im moving my program files from windows.old into my current hard drives C: drive. oh and my new harddrive has changed to C: drive instead of D: which is very useful.

thanks for all your help!

if i have done something wrong could you please tell me

thanks again
Jacob